• 1 Post By anisa
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By TrueNorthTreasures

Thread: Calling All Health Professionals

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Hi!

If you are a registered nurse, nurse practitioner, radiologist, lab tech, speech language pathologist, ECG tech, LPN, pharmacy tech, physiotherapist, physician....basically, if you are a health professional looking for employment, please visit Northern Health to explore the many employment opportunities for health professionals in this part of British Columbia!

I live in the northeast of the province, so admit to being a tad biased in wanting to attract more great health professionals to my community. Our city's hospital recently had to halt chemo treaments due to a lack of oncology nurses. Another community in the region has a beautiful, brand-new hospital and is eager to staff it with capable, motivated people.

If you are a relatively new graduate, do also check out the section, "Loan Forgiveness Programs" on the Northern Health site.

I am not affiliated with Northern Health, but am hoping to encourage new graduates of health professions - or established health professionals looking for a change - to see what is available for them here!

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Thu, Jan 25th, 2018 at 01:30 PM.
    Natalka and GoodBoy like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

why is there a shortage

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I expect the reason for the shortage is multifactorial. One of the main reasons is that this region, I think, is considered "out of the way" or "too far north" for people who live in other parts of Canada. Many of the towns and cities in the area are a decent size (10 000+) but the perception of many is that people here ride moose to work and live in igloos (this is "north", but not that far north! )

Another reason, I would imagine, is that there is a shortage of qualified health care professionals in general in Canada (huge wait-lists for people trying to find family doctors in Quebec and Nova Scotia, for example).

I'm not sure I can offer a more in-depth explanation than that. I don't work in the medical field myself, but maybe someone who does could give you a more complete answer.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

If people only knew how magical Northern BC is, they would be flocking!

Super Natural
    TrueNorthTreasures likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthTreasures View Post
    I expect the reason for the shortage is multifactorial. One of the main reasons is that this region, I think, is considered "out of the way" or "too far north" for people who live in other parts of Canada. Many of the towns and cities in the area are a decent size (10 000+) but the perception of many is that people here ride moose to work and live in igloos (this is "north", but not that far north! )

Another reason, I would imagine, is that there is a shortage of qualified health care professionals in general in Canada (huge wait-lists for people trying to find family doctors in Quebec and Nova Scotia, for example).

I'm not sure I can offer a more in-depth explanation than that. I don't work in the medical field myself, but maybe someone who does could give you a more complete answer.
    possible reason for shortage of nurses in BC
    BCNU President Gayle Duteil says there is already a serious shortage of specialty educated nurses in operating and recovery rooms and many are set to retire. “Private clinics are siphoning off nurses and bleeding the public system of one of its most in-demand human resources.”

https://www.bcnu.org/news-and-events...inics-06022015

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

plus the changed nursing graduate exam, the NCLEX, now
    Nursing students and schools are sounding the alarm on what they see as an "Americanization" of Canadian university nursing curriculum. Some say an American-style exam could end up sending more nurses south of the border.
    south of the border locations include California and Florida
    some are going as far as Australia

BC has lots of competition for new graduate nurses
    anisa likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Yes, indeed. And if you have looked at the postings, you've seen that it is not just nurses this region is seeking, unfortunately.

Thanks, @anisa - it is quite beautiful here! I am from NS and miss it terribly, but this area has been a nice home away from home.
    anisa likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One drawback may be the cost of living? It is rather expensive to live in certain parts of BC.

Thread Information