User Tag List

Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree1364Likes

Thread: Gift Card Deals

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

At Shoppers Drug Mart, PC Optimum members can get 15,000 PC Optimum bonus points wub a $150 beautyBOUTIQUE gift card.
    Or get 10,000 PC Optimum bonus points wub a $100 beautyBOUTIQUE gift card.
    Offer valid Sat and Sun, January 19 and 20.
    Silk, hcao and Abby1 like this.
    Search & Win using Swagbucks! Redeem for amazon.ca/Cineplex/Shutterfly gift cards.
    Click >>> Swagbucks <<< and start earning your own.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    At Shoppers Drug Mart, PC Optimum members can get 15,000 PC Optimum bonus points wub a $150 beautyBOUTIQUE gift card.
    Or get 10,000 PC Optimum bonus points wub a $100 beautyBOUTIQUE gift card.
    Offer valid Sat and Sun, January 19 and 20.
    I was just coming to post this offer and also add a head's up. Here's what I posted in the PCO thread:

A heads-up: I did the Beauty Boutique GC promo that's on this weekend. The cards were sitting on a display on the counter at the cash at the front and all 3 cosmeticians -including the manager - were at the back chatting. I went through the cards looking for a number I liked (kind of a superstition) and found 2 cards that had the pin area scratched off with the pins exposed. I would bet whoever did that took pictures so they had the card # and pin and are just waiting for the card to be activated. i turned the cards over to the cosmetics manager but wanted to let everyone here know. The Beauty Boutique GCs - at least the ones here - don't come with a cardboard backing like a lot of the newer SDM GCs do, so easier to access the area to scratch for the pin.
    Abby1 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I was just coming to post this offer and also add a head's up. Here's what I posted in the PCO thread:

A heads-up: I did the Beauty Boutique GC promo that's on this weekend. The cards were sitting on a display on the counter at the cash at the front and all 3 cosmeticians -including the manager - were at the back chatting. I went through the cards looking for a number I liked (kind of a superstition) and found 2 cards that had the pin area scratched off with the pins exposed. I would bet whoever did that took pictures so they had the card # and pin and are just waiting for the card to be activated. i turned the cards over to the cosmetics manager but wanted to let everyone here know. The Beauty Boutique GCs - at least the ones here - don't come with a cardboard backing like a lot of the newer SDM GCs do, so easier to access the area to scratch for the pin.
    I've noticed this in other places too. Not sure about SDM, but some places (like Subway) you can load the card to an app. I've always wondered when I see these scratched cards on display, if people have already activated the card on an app and just waiting for someone else to re-load it so they can transfer the balance.

I (unwittingly) had this happen to me. I had a Subway card that I registered and loaded to my app/account. (this was way back in the day of the "old" Subway app) -- I used it up (with the physical card) and told the clerk I didnt want the card back. Well apparently they 'recycled' it because a week or so later there was a $25 reload on it.

Unfortunately, the staff at the store where I ditched the card originally was unable to pinpoint how/when or to whom they re-sold it. -- Subway's giftcard support was also no help in tracking down who made the purchase so it could be transferred to a fresh card. They also claimed if I was to delete the card from my account, that it would disable the card and kill the balance. I left the balance on there for at least six months and it never got spent. Subway also kept insisting that since I was the registered owner of the card that they were MY funds, regardless how it got there. So (yes) I eventually spent it myself (through the app). Hate me if you want, but I did make every attempt at returning the funds. Subway just had no means to do so, and the recipient of the card obviously had no use for it (at least not for 6+ months since it was reloaded). At the time (with the old app) I couldnt use the app otherwise.

I hope, at the very least, that staff are told to destroy the cards they collect and not to reload them.

Since then, I dont let the clerks (in any store) keep any cards I've used up. I dont want the same thing happening to someone else.

So yea, when I see those scratched cards, I wonder if someone else is trying to scam in an intentional manner by similar means.
    Silk, Ciel and ssambhi like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks
    Silk likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    I've noticed this in other places too. Not sure about SDM, but some places (like Subway) you can load the card to an app. I've always wondered when I see these scratched cards on display, if people have already activated the card on an app and just waiting for someone else to re-load it so they can transfer the balance.

I (unwittingly) had this happen to me. I had a Subway card that I registered and loaded to my app/account. (this was way back in the day of the "old" Subway app) -- I used it up (with the physical card) and told the clerk I didnt want the card back. Well apparently they 'recycled' it because a week or so later there was a $25 reload on it.

Unfortunately, the staff at the store where I ditched the card originally was unable to pinpoint how/when or to whom they re-sold it. -- Subway's giftcard support was also no help in tracking down who made the purchase so it could be transferred to a fresh card. They also claimed if I was to delete the card from my account, that it would disable the card and kill the balance. I left the balance on there for at least six months and it never got spent. Subway also kept insisting that since I was the registered owner of the card that they were MY funds, regardless how it got there. So (yes) I eventually spent it myself (through the app). Hate me if you want, but I did make every attempt at returning the funds. Subway just had no means to do so, and the recipient of the card obviously had no use for it (at least not for 6+ months since it was reloaded). At the time (with the old app) I couldnt use the app otherwise.

I hope, at the very least, that staff are told to destroy the cards they collect and not to reload them.

Since then, I dont let the clerks (in any store) keep any cards I've used up. I dont want the same thing happening to someone else.

So yea, when I see those scratched cards, I wonder if someone else is trying to scam in an intentional manner by similar means.
    Thanks
    Silk and Ciel like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    Thanks
    You're welcome @bhlombardy - Thanks for sharing this. IMO you went out of your way to do the right thing - after that I also would have used the funds Crazy that some merchants re-use GCs.

But stolen #s and pins is why SDM issued new cards with hidden pins that have to be scratched. You cannot use an SDM gc that originally had an exposed pin. I know because I got them in the SDM gc promo in 2017 and had trouble using them. 2 days later they came out with the new cards and new policy. In the meantime, my store was giving people their total gc balance in cash so they could make their purchase before they were informed of the new policy by sdm. In my case they transferred all my balances to the new cards. It was not a straightforward task and there was a lot of trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post

Ciel likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You're welcome @bhlombardy - Thanks for sharing this. IMO you went out of your way to do the right thing - after that I also would have used the funds Crazy that some merchants re-use GCs.

But stolen #s and pins is why SDM issued new cards with hidden pins that have to be scratched. You cannot use an SDM gc that originally had an exposed pin. I know because I got them in the SDM gc promo in 2017 and had trouble using them. 2 days later they came out with the new cards and new policy. In the meantime, my store was giving people their total gc balance in cash so they could make their purchase before they were informed of the new policy by sdm. In my case they transferred all my balances to the new cards. It was not a straightforward task and there was a lot of trial and error.
    thanks for the clarification

I know why most of the time my SDM GC not working (but originally the pin are all covered). Some store transfer fund to a new can, some start need supervisor authorization, some store just said this card cannot be use and ask me to call the number at the back!
    Silk likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

thanks for the clarification
    I know why most of the time my SDM GC not working (but originally the pin are all covered). Some store transfer fund to a new can, some start need supervisor authorization, some store just said this card cannot be use and ask me to call the number at the back!
    Glad it helped Sometimes the gcs can be a real pain Try to at least ask them to print out the gc balance for you.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Glad it helped Sometimes the gcs can be a real pain Try to at least ask them to print out the gc balance for you.
    thanks again (usually before I leave the cashier will remind me how much I have in the card)
    Silk likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

thanks again (usually before I leave the cashier will remind me how much I have in the card)
    You're welcome, anything Yes, the cashiers here usually circle the balance on the gc but if there's any kind of problem like when you mentioned that the gc is not working or if they just had to transfer the balance, then I like to have a physical printout of the balance on the gc I also put a little post-it on each gc and write the new balance after I make a purchase (sometimes i forget when I'm in a hurry). It helps me keep track of how much money I have left on the card and if I have to grab another gc from home before I do my shop. And very often the cashier writes down the new balance automatically when they see the post-it
    bhlombardy and anything like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

You're welcome, anything Yes, the cashiers here usually circle the balance on the gc but if there's any kind of problem like when you mentioned that the gc is not working or if they just had to transfer the balance, then I like to have a physical printout of the balance on the gc I also put a little post-it on each gc and write the new balance after I make a purchase (sometimes i forget when I'm in a hurry). It helps me keep track of how much money I have left on the card and if I have to grab another gc from home before I do my shop. And very often the cashier writes down the new balance automatically when they see the post-it
    I tried post-its but it didn't take long before they came off a couple of times, so I switched to putting a piece of masking tape on each one. After each purchase, I simply cross off the old balance and put the new one.
    rayray, Silk and anything like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great idea!
    Silk likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    I tried post-its but it didn't take long before they came off a couple of times, so I switched to putting a piece of masking tape on each one. After each purchase, I simply cross off the old balance and put the new one.
    Wow I learnt a lot from the site!
    Silk likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

The post-it coming off has only happened maybe 2-3 times - and I've even used the cheapie dupe ones from the $ store. And yes, I cross off the old balance to put the new one. Sometimes i reuse the post-it on another gc if there's room, and sometimes i have to put another one when the post-it gets filled up.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also put a little post-it on each gc and write the new balance after I make a purchase (sometimes i forget when I'm in a hurry). It helps me keep track of how much money I have left on the card and if I have to grab another gc from home before I do my shop.

The post-it coming off has only happened maybe 2-3 times - and I've even used the cheapie dupe ones from the $ store. And yes, I cross off the old balance to put the new one. Sometimes i reuse the post-it on another gc if there's room, and sometimes i have to put another one when the post-it gets filled up.

At the risk of losing the Post-its, or the tape... I use a Sharpie. It doesnt rub off (easily) and doesnt go missing... AND (before you say you cant change the balance) here's a fun/practical fact: You can ERASE a Sharpie from the gift card surface with one of those white plastic "drafting" erasers (see image). So I erase the balance and re-write the new balance... no post-its to lose, no tape or sticky residue on my cards or in my wallet.

Attachment 348469
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Wed, Jan 23rd, 2019 at 08:15 AM.
    Ciel, Thatdone and Thriftmama like this.

Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread Information