User Tag List

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree2871Likes

Thread: March 2018 Frugal Chatter

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I received a call today from the company asking for photos of the rock, measurements, etc. I emailed the photos off so we'll see what happens.

I'm finding it very hard to get motivated about money lately. There have been some huge setbacks and it seems like it's all about damage control now but anything I do only seems like a drop in the bucket.

DH and I had the money talk the other day, and we discussed the $7,000 discrepancy that he spent on work related expenses that he will not be reimbursed for. His boss refuses to buy coffee and water for the entire company, but expects that it be fully stocked for meetings when all the salespeople are flown in. No one ever puts money in the collection tin that DH puts out as money to go towards the coffee fund, but people always expect coffee to be there. Supplies to maintain the expensive Keurig are covered out of our pocket as well.

DH was reimbursed well over $10,000 for other expenses he incurred like paying for the salespeople's tickets to Raptors games, air line tickets, etc. At least we get a little money back from the credit card rewards for that, but the water and cleaning supplies he buys are only purchased with cash. DH is stretched so thin at work that he has no time to go out of his way to get a better price on anything but the most convenient option.

These expenses seem to be an unspoken condition of employment, so I will just keep on trying to build that emergency fund, but I always seem to have a way of sabotaging things as well.

After DD1 was born, I tried to repay our HBP but with all the sleep deprivation and night time feedings, hours and hours of her crying, I ended up over contributing to the RRSP. I can't remember if I had to pay a penalty, but I certainly do this time. Last year, when DD2 was a newborn, I ended up overcontributing to the TFSA. I probably meant to put the money in an RRSP or RESP, but whatever the case, I will need to withdraw the funds and pay nearly $2000 in fees.

The institution never posted it as a contribution to my CRA records so I completely forgot about them. Contributing this year led to another overcontribution and I have to withdraw the funds less than a week after I put them in, and pay the withdrawal fee. Quite the mess I've gotten myself in this time and it always seems to happen when the babies are three months or less.

Now all the documentation is in and my CRA account shows the correct info. If I subtract the annual gains on the investments, the penalty is closer to $300 than $2000, minus the gains it would have made in a savings account.

This year is really going to have to be a belt tightening year to try to make up for some of the shortcomings. Unfortunately, some major expenses are coming up like redoing the bathroom. There is a mold issue that needs to be addressed and the roof needs to be replaced soon. Plus, DD1 will be turning five and I don't want to put things like introductory swimming lessons off for too much longer. Maybe I should start entering contests at this point.
    Have you tried sending a note to Revenue Canada? I accidentally withdrew from my TFSA and put it back into the account later in the same year (big no-no) and my bank gave me a sample letter to send into Revenue Canada where I explained my situation and they waived the over contribution penalty.
    Angela273, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Busy lunch hour. Popped into No Frills. All I bought was 2 more jars of PB for $1 each. Meant to go grab a few more WED but didn't make it so was happy they still had it on today.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    sweetsparrow -Ashlyn lost a pair of pants(a pair I bought her)my daughter-in-law thinks she tossed them because of an accident in school ,plus she lost a cute hat this season and its not at the school ,its hard .
    @coupon girl: I understand the accidents but I was wondering about all those clothes in the school's lost and found, sometimes involving a pair of pants, or one shoe, or two shoes. These are for elementary school kids, where I think accidents are less likely to happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Have you tried sending a note to Revenue Canada? I accidentally withdrew from my TFSA and put it back into the account later in the same year (big no-no) and my bank gave me a sample letter to send into Revenue Canada where I explained my situation and they waived the over contribution penalty.
    @barbis9: I saw that option but you have to mail to a separate address, don't you? I don't suppose you have a copy of that sample letter lying around? I think yours is a common misunderstanding though and not just forgetfulness.

Edit: NM, I saw the form. I'll send it in claiming "mommy brain". The worst they can say is no! Thank you!
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Fri, Mar 2nd, 2018 at 04:16 PM.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    @coupon girl: I understand the accidents but I was wondering about all those clothes in the school's lost and found, sometimes involving a pair of pants, or one shoe, or two shoes. These are for elementary school kids, where I think accidents are less likely to happen?

@barbis9: I saw that option but you have to mail to a separate address, don't you? I don't suppose you have a copy of that sample letter lying around? I think yours is a common misunderstanding though and not just forgetfulness.
    The pants would be from the kids that change into shorts for gym and then wear the shorts home.....like my kid does every single time! lol

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

The Family Centre has a volunteer this morning, so I took my older daycare girl and our twins for 2hrs this morning. They all had fun and it wasn’t very busy, which was nice. My new little Daycare girl starts on Monday.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Busy lunch hour. Popped into No Frills. All I bought was 2 more jars of PB for $1 each. Meant to go grab a few more WED but didn't make it so was happy they still had it on today.
    Remember to load your new offer on CO51 to get an additional 25c back from today’s purchase.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 3 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

My younger son used to be terrible about misplacing stuff, the older one was very conscientious and still is about stuff. One year he brought a pair of snow pants home in June because they had his name on them, he said he did not think they were his but since the name matched he took them. There were his younger brothers and since sons both have the same 1st initial same last name he was right. because we had one set of labels for everything since it was passed down anyway, needless to say the snow pants no longer fit anyone so off to goodwill they went. he is also the kid like FBM that wears shorts home after gym. Thankfully by the time they changed for gym he had a locker so I could have him just dump everything in a bag and drag it home. The stories I could tell about things left to fester in a locker or back pack. He is now almost 15 and so its greatly improved.
    Older son made dinner again. Homemade meatballs in a red wine reduction. It took him hours to do but was so yummy, he has Sunday dinner already planned.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

you should see what is left on my husbands bus ,and to tell you the truth a lot of it is boys hats ,gloves etc and he tells them look at the lost and found stuff I have kids

Just got in form our date ,a nice fish meal for hubby and I had cesar salad and chicken a new restaurant a few months old out by the show ,then we went to Williams café for a coffee and tea ,then I popped into sobeys (I paid 4.96 for 4 bags after 2 peelie cpns on the bags 1.24 a bag ) the to the show we saw 3 billboards outside Ebbing,missouri=free as I had 2 Cineplex cpns so a nice night out
    Last edited by coupon girl; Fri, Mar 2nd, 2018 at 08:07 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Salvation Army total spent on kids clothes $15.74
    $1 each
    2x swim shirts

2x 2-piece pjs
    1x sleeper
    5x shirts
    1x sweater
    1x jeans

$7.50 - (75% off) $5.63 = $1.87 each

1x ski pants
    1x big kids snow suit

In February I treated myself to Bogo blizzards on two separate occasions. I requested the receipts and did the online feedback surveys. This evening we stopped and picked up the 2 free silly bars, which were put in the little freezer.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Mar 2nd, 2018 at 08:55 PM.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yes angela -I got 2 free dilly bars a few months back ,the girl told me no one hardly does the surveys -gee last time I was there I forgot to ask for a receipt ,nice deal on the kids clothing too

loving unlocking checkout51 deals today is chocolate-which I bought thursday night in with my milk at shoppers so .25 for me and they add up

off to Toronto at 9.00 a.m to watch Sebastian ,daughter said she would have us for an early supper chicken ,mashed potatoes ,peas nice to have supper with her and Sebastian ,my son called last night at 4.41 but we were out ,he was gonna see if we wanted to come over as he was watching both girls -he told me geee mom cara is a bit needy but then again she is 3 months ,wish I was here for sure I would have went to help as when Ashlyn see's her dad walk in from work she wants him all for herself to play with -lol

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    What a difference a day can make...check your gardens! Sometime since yesterday at 2:00 PM crocuses and hyacinths have started to appear.
    Lucky you!

Not yet in Ancaster! I made a point to check during my multiple morrning efforts to clear the melting snow that the roof kept dumping on the south side. At least that fine packing snow did not stick around. Ms. Sunshine did mega-duty melting what she could (and I made passages for the meltwater to run away).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

March has come in like a lion-DH just measured the snow on the deck rail-10" in the last 36 hrs and still snowing. I am hoping he will dig us out soon so I can get some groceries!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We are expecting 15-20cm of snow on Sunday and 10-15cm of snow on Monday. We did a quick stop at Sobeys last night and made sure we’ll have enough milk until 10% Tuesday. We are prepared to stay home for the weekend, but we still have dh’s 4x4 truck if necessary. If needed, I can take dh’s truck to Sobeys on Tuesday. I wanted to go for a walk before all that snow hits, so I bundled up and headed out. I forgot my sunglasses and scarf, so I only did about 1km. I collected 2 cans during my walk. We currently have 30km/hr winds and it felt like -14.

I just cashed in $33.60 from CO51.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sat, Mar 3rd, 2018 at 05:43 PM.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I came home to dinner ready and about to be plated made by the 17 yr old. This kid is surrounded by friends who want to go to law school and he is struggling to find direction. Really child maybe this is your passion, he already has dinner planned for Friday and has the meat thawing. But today he talked to the coop teacher and is serious about a food coop for September. So I am feeling hopeful. It does wreak havoc on the grocery budget but since he has taken on a lot of the meal prep I won't complain. He is also getting much better about menu planning so I can buy what he needs in advance and save a last minute run to the grocery store.
    I'm trying to think if your town might have a food co-op type store but I know there's a Whole Foods in town. It might be a good place for your DS to seek a food co-op placement and get into the organic/natural foods area and build his interest there.
    The other consideration is maybe he'd like to learn some of the grocery management/logistics side of retail grocery?

The other things that relate to food: cultural foods/traditions/customs/history regarding food scarcity (current issues are in some countries are foreigners/foreign countries buying up arable land to grow crops to feed their own residents-huge issue (governments that sell out land for money despite laws/tribal ownership so politics/economics). Perhaps there is an NGO or non-profit in Halton that deals with such issues and DS could see if exposure to other facets of food beyond cooking food might perk his interests to explore post-secondary programs relating to those interests.

Of course, you might like him to make informational requests by e-mail to friends or family or neighbours (esp. if they are of different backgrounds culturally than you) or acquaintances who did different post-secondary programs to get a feel if they felt their studies of interest did have a benefit or not in their present pursuits in work/personal interests.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@lilo0003 -how would a stage in a fine dining establishment interest your son? Wine reduction--sounds grand.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information