User Tag List

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Like Tree1962Likes

Thread: June 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (congrats to new graduates)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

frugalbigmama-does your city let you call for bulk items -we call and we are allowed 3 big items per week (some couches are too long thou)I put out 2 toilets whole(just sit them at the curb before 7.am) over the past few years ,a separate truck comes around after you call in your bulk pickup you have to give them a week thou
    Ciel, SassyAshley and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    frugalbigmama-does your city let you call for bulk items -we call and we are allowed 3 big items per week (some couches are too long thou)I put out 2 toilets whole(just sit them at the curb before 7.am) over the past few years ,a separate truck comes around after you call in your bulk pickup you have to give them a week thou
    We can but we now have to pay for it. ( they stopped the free pick up years ago) We use to get vouchers for free dump runs as well but they stopped that as well. So this is the way to get rid of it for free

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

It is a beautiful day today. A bit windy, sunny, and clear sky. Spent the morning in the back yard with the kids. Fruit smoothie for snack. Fruit smoothie popsicles for snack tomorrow. I weeded in the garden with our children. Our little girl did a good no job weeding the potatoes and putting the weeds in my bucket. I weeded the radishes, carrots, and yellow string beans. Harvested radishes to eat with today’s lunch.

Last night’s supper was pan fried chicken breasts, mushroom dill sauce (with chives and dill from my garden), and speghittini.
    For lunch today the kids ate leftover chicken breast, speghittini, and sliced fresh radishes from the garden.
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Jun 27th, 2018 at 04:19 PM.
    Natalka, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

wow had a power transformer blow in my neighbourhood-no power from 4-5.35 p.m so I did my puzzle -lol

-supper was k-dinner for hubby and a salad with leftover chicken pieces in it

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Enjoying the rain before the heat wave hits.
    Mom reports some issues with the law clerk as the house closes. I especially like the request to have dad sign off on the final papers. Umm let me know how that works out lady😢. We were told that because the house was sold before he passed away and he already signed everything there was nothing to do. This is the last stress my mom needs.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Enjoying the rain before the heat wave hits.
    Mom reports some issues with the law clerk as the house closes. I especially like the request to have dad sign off on the final papers. Umm let me know how that works out lady. We were told that because the house was sold before he passed away and he already signed everything there was nothing to do. This is the last stress my mom needs.
    Sometimes people can be very insensitive. *hugs*
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@coupon girl: I hope you're feeling better. It's nice that you enjoy doing puzzles so much!

@lilo0003: I'm sorry to hear about your father. My sincerest condolences.

@Ciel: I use a DIY spray cleaner for those, ahem, hard to reach bathroom places. Let it sit for a bit, and scrub with those free toothbrushes that come up every now and again. Would you like me to send over the recipe?

Still in recovery mode from earlier this week when two loads of laundry needed to be done and I found out last minute. That night was a 3 AM sleep on the Monday. The next night, DD2 decided she wasn't sleepy and kept running and laughing up and down her crib for two hours until it was past midnight. I tried to pretend I was sleeping in the chair beside her. It didn't work. Every time I peeked, her head was in my face, grinning at me. Worked on her sister.... Sigh.

Last night was laundry folding night from being hung to dry earlier in the week. I still have much more to fold and sort, with DD1 growing out of everything. I've asked a friend if she has any spare clothes that her daughter has grown out of. How is it that a four year old needs clothes from an eight year old? There must be something in the water. She seems like she's growing out of something every day now, or I hear seams ripping when she tries on her old favourites. Still, I'm hesitant to go shopping as she will be seeing a few older friends in the next month or two. I don't want to buy all new clothes and then find that I have bags to pick up from the other girls.
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

It's almost Friday of the long weekend and the cottagers are around for sure. So busy everywhere.

Tonight I do laundry! I have my system in place and the livingroom is my folding station and then I run to put it all away lol.
    Angela273, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    It's almost Friday of the long weekend and the cottagers are around for sure. So busy everywhere.
    Tonight I do laundry! I have my system in place and the livingroom is my folding station and then I run to put it all away lol.
    Our system is, I put the wet laundry on the drying rack before I take it outside, DD2 takes it off and puts it back in the basket with the other wet laundry. Repeat, repeat, repeat, until someone (I won't say who) gives up and moves on to go do the dishes. Both of us meet at the kitchen sink, where DD2 grabs my legs and pulls while crying and DD1 decides she absolutely needs something critical (like being accompanied to the bathroom for fear of giants roaming the halls while she's in there). Finally, either I'll have to leave the sink for DD1 or DD2 gets frustrated that I'm not responding and begins to repeatedly bang her head on the kitchen ceramic tile. In both cases, DD2 gets picked up for another round of The Ants Go Marching, and neither dishes or laundry get done. Then, I end up staying awake until 3 AM, doing dishes and laundry because all remaining time is spent reheating something random I found in the fridge because I didn't have any time to cook and bedtime is in less than an hour - again! Repeat each and every weekday until end of day Friday with any number of rotating chores to start the evening off.

I have no idea how single parents do it. Or maybe I do..... My friend with one eight year old daughter tells me it never gets any better. Siggggghhhhh!
    Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Our system is, I put the wet laundry on the drying rack before I take it outside, DD2 takes it off and puts it back in the basket with the other wet laundry. Repeat, repeat, repeat, until someone (I won't say who) gives up and moves on to go do the dishes. Both of us meet at the kitchen sink, where DD2 grabs my legs and pulls while crying and DD1 decides she absolutely needs something critical (like being accompanied to the bathroom for fear of giants roaming the halls while she's in there). Finally, either I'll have to leave the sink for DD1 or DD2 gets frustrated that I'm not responding and begins to repeatedly bang her head on the kitchen ceramic tile. In both cases, DD2 gets picked up for another round of The Ants Go Marching, and neither dishes or laundry get done. Then, I end up staying awake until 3 AM, doing dishes and laundry because all remaining time is spent reheating something random I found in the fridge because I didn't have any time to cook and bedtime is in less than an hour - again! Repeat each and every weekday until end of day Friday with any number of rotating chores to start the evening off.

I have no idea how single parents do it. Or maybe I do..... My friend with one eight year old daughter tells me it never gets any better. Siggggghhhhh!
    Sounds like your routine isn't working at all lol. Honestly I would just focus on the kids and give them your 100% attention and then it may get easier down the road. Do you take them outside in the evening to tire them out before bed? That use to be my routine with my children before bed. We would walk to the park and play hard then home to snack and bath, book then bed. I would get more done in the one hour after they were settled then trying to do it with them up. ( I find prepping meals on the weekend helps for the weeknight rush. I try and get ready what I can and the cook once eat twice makes life so much easier)
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Thu, Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:33 AM.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Sounds like your routine isn't working at all lol. Honestly I would just focus on the kids and give them your 100% attention and then it may get easier down the road. Do you take them outside in the evening to tire them out before bed? That use to be my routine with my children before bed. We would walk to the park and play hard then home to snack and bath, book then bed. I would get more done in the one hour after they were settled then trying to do it with them up. ( I find prepping meals on the weekend helps for the weeknight rush. I try and get ready what I can and the cook once eat twice makes life so much easier)
    I think a co-worker suggested that. Somehow, she has time to take her child to the park and a bath afterwards.

I get off work at 5 PM, pick up DD2 at daycare by 5:30 PM, get to DD1 at 5:50 PM, make it home by 6 PM. I have until 7 PM to get dinner on the table. As soon as we get in, it's a full change of clothes for both, bathroom, wash hands, get the lunch containers in the sink. DD1 wants a cold drink and a homemade popsicle as she's been playing outside during after school care in the heat, DD2 wants milk and lots of bread and fruit. At this point it's 6:30 PM and I'm trying to wash the dishes from this morning's lunch prep and all the tiny lunch containers from today. Then it's diaper change for DD2, toy clean up for DD1, wash hands, and hopefully sit at the table by 7 PM for dinner, before the bedtime routine begins at 8 PM.

If I take them to the park, it's at least half an hour there and back, plus I'd have to get out the big stroller. I would have to leave an hour to bathe both (leaving time for tantrums or DD2 constantly wanting to stand and get out of the tub), from rinsing the tub (DH uses it in the morning) to drying and putting lotion on both, so that unfortunately waits until the weekend when we have more time, since eating dinner is the priority. I wish I could bathe both every day or every two days for the baby. As it is, DD2 gets in bed by 8:30 PM, and DD1 is in bed by 9 PM to be up at 6:20 AM and 7 AM, respectively. DH drops off DD2 at 6:45 AM and I drop off DD1 at 7:30 AM to different schools so I can be at work at 8 AM. Of course, that schedule doesn't allow for longer periods in the washroom for DD1, or tantrums, etc., in which case, I will definitely be late for work.

Phew! And now you know my entire schedule.... I think I should write it out and post it for DD1 so she knows where to be at each minute.

I anticipate that things will take even longer as DD1 moves into the age for discipline and potty training. DD1 took a long time to get used to discipline and we had some Super Nanny-ish episodes with likeness to the screaming children.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Been there done that lol. It does get easier

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I finally made that homemade ceaser dressing last night and it is really good. $50 in ingredients to start lol.
    But healthy so worth it!

Today's lunch is salad with chicken (Still eating from dinner Tuesday night) Tonight I will clean out the fridge and deal with the leftovers. The chicken will be made into quesidias for DS with ceaser salad and sliced cucumbers for his dinner. Leftover chicken will be chopped and put in a freezer bag marked "chicken for chicken fried rice" and used at a later date.
    Sausage will be chopped up and put in a Tupperware container with the leftover green beans in the freezer for oldest DS.

We are away for the weekend next weekend for a tournament (Hoteling it for 3 days) I will prep food for us to take for breakfast/lunch and snacks. Make eggs at home and bring English muffins, cheese and the toaster! Quick breakfast in room with fruit etc. Saves us time and money and calories on a crappy Tim Hortons breakfast! I have already bought a bunch of powerade sport bottles at $1 each (cheaper then the arena!) I don't give him this often but nice when away and then he doesn't feel leftout when the kids pay $3.50 plus at arena lol Happy cherries are on again at No Frills so will make sure to grab a bag before we go as well as a watermelon. The kids hang out together at the hotel so I like to give them healthy snacks to share.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Thu, Jun 28th, 2018 at 11:46 AM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I had a late cooked pasta dinner extra last night after the early one plus handfuls of raisins and an apple. This morning, I was in no humour to cook anything for breakfast. I just reached for the remaining chilled peach mango tea and enjoyed it prior to watching the weather forecast on tv. No fruit tea left at home-that will be something to stock soon.

The survey planned for the 4 properties in our area will likely start building next spring. Enjoyed some nibbles (sugar!) as well. Rain was a steady drizzle on the way home.

Am reminded that I have yet to get the LCBO Food & Drink magazine. I flipped through the French edition online and I saw maybe two LCBO ads (which might explain why French version has 116 pages while English version has 164 pages). There are many desserts and picnic/bbq style recipes for anyone not sure of what to make.

I read the Early Summer issue of Cottage Life (Turner Park branch usually has new issues on the shelf that I cannot find at Ancaster branch until several weeks after issue is out) and enjoyed reading about couples who met at cottages. There are some tostada recipes and sides by Jo Lusted in the issue too.
    SassyAshley likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@sweet sparrow -the DIY spray sounds interesting! Have a long weekend to recover some sleep first and play a little-you so deserve a few hours of "me" time. Would your family be thrilled to have a tortilla chips and dips kind of meal with a juice or milk for dinner? Just to give you freedom from cooking and make it easier for you.
    @Frugalbigmama - you are right about how its great to provide for kids with things to share with friends. I hope their friends thank you and your sons for those opportunities and also reciprocate in kind. Makes the world a better place as they transition into adulthood (and hosting duties).
    SassyAshley likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread Information