• 2 Post By Thatdone
  • 1 Post By Arjon
  • 4 Post By fegonia
  • 1 Post By barbis9

Thread: Is entering contests worth it?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In your opinion, is entering contests worth it? I usually don't enter contests (unless they have a coupon or something just for entering) because I assume that I am unlikely to win. I also don't like to give away my personal info if it is not going to do anything for me. But I am wondering if anyone has a different opinion? Do you find that you get a lot from entering contests? Am I missing out?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    barbis9, Shwa Girl and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I entered the President's Choice mastercard Market Moments Maui contest in store. Won 3 x $50 gift cards. Then the problems began-- I needed a scanner to submit the form. They would not take the form by mail or delivered to a local store and showing ID. Didn't get the prizes, even after talking with them by phone.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Thu, Jun 14th, 2018 at 07:56 PM.
    barbis9 and Lavender Lady like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

How disappointing! Sorry to hear that. I would follow up with an email/phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I entered the President's Choice mastercard Market Moments Maui contest in store. Won 3 x $50 gift cards. Then the problems began-- I needed a scanner to submit the form. They would not take the form by mail or delivered to a local store and showing ID. Didn't get the prizes, even after talking with them by phone.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

When you diligently enter contests, yes it is worth it. When you enter every now and then, usually nothing happens though not always.
    A few years back I mailed 2 paper ballots to my local paper and won a trip for 4 to Disneyland! Again a few years back I entered daily for a draw to win a set of Maytag washer/dryer combo, which I won and still use to this day. I found that when I entered on a consistent basis, I was often winning something, not always big, but hey a set of free movie tickets, a pair of concert ticket to see Rod Stewart is pretty awesome. I don't have the discipline to do this now it seems, but keep telling myself to get back at it as you never know when you will get that special email Go for it!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Im surprised they would not accept a pic of the form (im not sure why you would even have to scan it) but I would for sure not let 150.00 worth of gift cards that I won disappear from me without a fight.
    Last edited by Thatdone; Thu, Jun 14th, 2018 at 10:31 PM.
    barbis9 and Lavender Lady like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

There's no universal "one size fits all" answer. It depends on various factors and combinations of them, at least some of which aren't equally significant at all times, like what / how much you had to do and/or buy to enter, whether you would have done it anyway, what else you could have done with that time, etc. And this is before considering how popular different contests are likely to be, which is beyond your control but can significantly affect your probability of winning and thus the expected value of entering.

It also depends on what you stand or happen to win since things that have the same nominal dollar value don't necessarily have the same degree of subjective desirability. For instance, I'd much rather win $X in cash than the same $X in "retail value" of items I don't need or even want, and that would be difficult if not impossible to sell for anywhere near $X.
    barbis9 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I'll give it a try for a while and see what happens.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Can you take a photo with your phone or scan it at a friends place or public library? $150 is a lot to win. This contest is at Shoppers correct?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I enter contests all of the time. I find the local ones for example at an event, small business, etc seems to have better odds of winning. I have won quite a bit of stuff over the years so definitely worth trying. I never seem to have any luck with Shoppers Drug Mart contests though.
    Natalka likes this.

Thread Information