User Tag List

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree1900Likes

Thread: July 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (2nd half of 2018 and summer!)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    After hanging a load of laundry washed late last night out on the clothesline this morning, I watered the flowers and started pulling some greenery that had been left to grow but should not have been allowed to. It's obvious the raccoons were active last night (I heard one or two trill by my window) so I watered down the stained pavers.

I've decided to print off my Thank You Rewards coupon offer to gain 2200 points ($10 value) if I spent $75 by Thursday before taxes at Longos. Simply need to get some groceries today and maybe beverages by Friday to cope with the higher temperatures forecast for Sat-Mon.

Have finished watching season 7 of Gilmore Girls (last two episodes answered something for me that did not make sense in the Netflix 10 years later mini-series, A Year in the Life) and will go back to season 5 to see what happened to Rory with a boat.

There's a linen closet that needs some wrangling--those too good for daily use white towels are taking up valuable shelf space and since some bulky bedding was recently laundered, it's been hard to put away due to lack of space. Some kitchen towels need replacing as well--I noticed that my local Winners has reduced its small kitchen towel section recently (when I was jacket shopping as I browsed my favourite departments) so I'll be checking other locations plus the Ancaster Homesense store for new towels.

Breakfast was Lipton's Chicken Noodle soup. Yesterday, I realized that Dad did not eat the spaghetti and sauce but I made to point to do so. Won't make another batch of spaghetti and sauce as I'm craving something else for lunch and dinner.

Will come back online tonight-have to head home and get some tasks done!
    I need to do the same RE: linen closet. Need a 2nd shelf for towels. So will clear the one shelf and put in a Rubbermaid bin and deal with it. Lots of sample size shampoos/1/2 bottles to use up.
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

im back got back at 11.00 this morning but slept for an hour noon to one after putting in a load to hang

-well it was a nice small cottage with air conditioning ,but the pull out was to uncomfortable ,so we slept on the bunk beds in ashlyns room -they were super hard -haha I sound like the 3 little bears ,I guess when you get older you like a good nights sleep-but still enjoyed the granddaughter's ,swimming with them in the pool ,watching Ashlyn on the bouncy thing and a huge slide we paid for Ashlyn to do a tye dye shirt with her mommy and daddy $15.00-we watched little miss cara -yesterday my one knee also was in pain I injured it when I was 50 and the doctor said when arthritis sets it it will aggrevate this knee hank goodness I had an ice pack

sitting around a camp fire roasting marshmellows was nice also plus the girl at the front desk only charged us 13.80 instead of overnight fee of 18.00 I even told her overnight -she said no worries you sound like nice grandparents

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

good evening all... I am beyond excited.. we aregoing to the drive in tonight. Antman, an incredibles 2. 2 kids want to go with us I calll it a win.

I cashed in 50.00 in airmiles at foodland for snack stuff.. we are packing a cooler and stopping by the dollar store. it would be cheaper admission wise to go tomorrow night... but its always packed thursday nights... an this way while it is a bit more expensive.. it will be way .. way less crowded. I am calling it a win.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I dont like going to the movies on cheap night either. Id rather pay more and go the night i choose. (Sneaking in snacks of course!)
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Stopped at Giant Tiger on the way home grabbed sour cream 99-cents and a 12 pack of hamburger buns dollar 1.77. And a few other things. Sliced up the peameal roast and put on cookir sheet and oven. Started perogies. Had 4 beef patties so cooked them up. Oldest was happy to come home to food. Youngest hust popped in with his friend on their way to friends house for pizza. So lots of leftovers if they are hungry tonight.
    Took the day off tomorrow since my friend had a surprise day off and we are taking kids to the beach! I cant wait.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

A close friend of ours lost his job yesterday after working with the company for years.

I've been thinking that I needed to recertify my First Aid, CPR, AED training this summer. When I double checked today, I don’t need to take the course until next summer.

I posted a small pair of kids water shoes this morning and already sold them for $2.
    I had an afternoon nap while my kids were sleeping. I’m in a considerable amount of pain. Fish sticks and French fries for supper tonight.
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Jul 11th, 2018 at 07:56 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Twin girl fell out of her toddler bed last night. She walked out of her room to daddy in the living room. She wasn’t crying, but she had quite the nose bleed.

I picked yhe forst habdful of garden peas this evening. I picked a lot of dill from one area and dropped it off to my neighbour. While there, I found out she has a serious plumbing issue. Dh is over there now to see if he can help her. Her house is a lemon and she knows it.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greentires4me View Post
    I have a dentist appointment tomorrow I don’t want to go I have rescheduling it for months. They just want my money they don’t actually care about me or my teeth. They give me the same song and dance every time I go about brushing/flossing. I mean I take care of my teeth but really I cannot help that the psych meds I am taking is deteriorating my teeth. so much so that they fall apart they always have cavities and I need at least 7 crowns but I don’t have $1000 per to shell out. I only make 1133.42$ a month on my provincial disability I pay about 538$ a month for rent on a bachelor suite. So really what do they think I am made of money? I only get 500$ a year for dental, one free cleaning a year. It’s like highway robbery for those of us who cannot afford the extras like crowns.
    @greentires4me : Maybe you can search for a good dentist until you can afford that crown work? I would rather something expensive and important be done by someone good, not someone right now. I also need a crown and I am absolutely dreading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    well up at 6.30 started painting at 7.30 hubby and I his back is a tiny bit better but he wanted to paint the front eavestrough so I helped him we finished at 9.10 before the heat comes yesterday I painted a dolly and my basement window -got paint on my old t-shirt and it went thru to my newer bra -so ticked as I cant get it out (its a very nice bra from the bay so I cant scrub to much as its a t-shirt type bra rant for the day
    @coupon girl : Will it scratch off after it's dried? Sometimes it can peel off if you bend the fabric and it hardens. Wonder if the ice cube trick would work (apply ice until it can harden and crack off).
    Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    today is my anniversary. 18 years. I am not sure of what we will b doing. prob just relaxing. Might do a movie.. prob do a dinner somewhere. ... just not sure.... have a good one everyone
    @Giseledta : Have a wonderful anniversary!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweet sparrow -thanks for the tips -yes I did manage to scratch a bit off but some still remains (just a smudge thou)

ohh had an awesome sleep lastnight -nothing like your own bed ,talked to a dear friend for an hour (we also talked about our kids in their 30`s are always on their phones-it is awfull the amount of time they are on there-checking social media etc)

well car is going in this morning -wish a break would come my way,no more big spending for hubby and I for awhile on the other hand so glad I have 300.00 in p.c points to spend over the summer/ start of fall as no income is coming in except hubby`s work pension

our lovley neighbour is gonna paint our back eavestrough-he asked us last week -and my dear hubby is afraid of heights(the back of our house is extremely high) -I am not but the arthritis in my knees worry me if I were to climb that high if they gave me trouble like the other day at son`s cottage ,so he said he will be over before 10.00 to start

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    @greentires4me : Maybe you can search for a good dentist until you can afford that crown work? I would rather something expensive and important be done by someone good, not someone right now. I also need a crown and I am absolutely dreading it. !
    I had a good dentist when on I was on katimavik in st. Boniface-Winnipeg, mb.

I have other pressing things in life like my physical pain I am seeing a neurologist the day after my birthday here. I understand the importance of teeth I really do but I would like to save up to get more pairs of glasses because they only cover one pair and I would like at least two more. I would like to afford that sleeping med that I have been putting off for 3 months because I don’t have $$$$ to buy 90pills, and special authority already said no, 4 times. I am extremely tired all the time and blood tests keep coming back negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giseledta, barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Well, I guess the new Daycare dad changed his mind and didn’t tell me. He was supposed to drop off the signed contract and payments yesterday after work. I sent him a text message before going for a family walk for free 7-Eleven Slurpees. He never replied. His daughter was scheduled to start at my daycare early this morning, but they haven’t come. Too many times parents have been excited, take paperwork and plan on dropping off the initial payment, but never do. Even our son pointed out an example from June.

edit: The dad finally texted me back. He was working a contract job and didn’t know how long he’d be here. That’s why it was a temporary contract. He was surprised to receive his layoff notice yesterday.
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, Jul 12th, 2018 at 09:53 AM.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greentires4me View Post
    I had a good dentist when on I was on katimavik in st. Boniface-Winnipeg, mb.
    I have other pressing things in life like my physical pain I am seeing a neurologist the day after my birthday here. I understand the importance of teeth I really do but I would like to save up to get more pairs of glasses because they only cover one pair and I would like at least two more. I would like to afford that sleeping med that I have been putting off for 3 months because I don’t have $$$$ to buy 90pills, and special authority already said no, 4 times. I am extremely tired all the time and blood tests keep coming back negative.
    @greentires4me : Are you happy with your current dentist? I got the impression that you didn't and I'm sorry if I got that wrong.

I forgot to suggest the website www.ratemds.com to look up medical practitioners before going, just to see what experiences others have had. I know it's really frustrating when you need medical attention and can't afford it, but this is just when you're ready so you don't waste time seeing a bad doctor/dentist/etc. I didn't mean to say you need to make anything a priority (dental or otherwise). I just want you to see the right person when you do have the money, rather than making a second/third/fourth appointment to fix what the first person did and spending way more money.

Can you tell this happened to me and DH? DH has spent at least $5,000 trying to fix what his first dentist did when he was trying to pay for rent/college/food/car and he basically had no money for a long time in his 20s. My dental issues are catching up with me now from fillings I had when I was a teenager. My current dentist is trying to fix what my first dentist did years ago. Dental mistakes are forever!

I really hope you to find someone who you feel comfortable with, someone who takes care of your teeth, and takes the time to listen to your concerns. I also know what it's like to have major dental surgery with no dental plan and it is not cheap if there are mistakes to have to go back to fix. Best of luck and if you don't feel comfortable with the dentist, don't let him/her do any major work!

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I was so ready to hand in my frugal girl status last week. After grocery shopping on Friday on my day off, I accidentally locked my car keys in the trunk. If I didn't have DD1 with me, I think I would have walked the two hour walk home. I had my phone, but not my wallet. The super annoying thing was that I was right across from the bus terminal. It would only have cost me one bus fare (DD1 is still free) and not the grand $180.80 that it cost to call someone to have the door unlocked. Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

DH just shrugged and said "It happens." He is so nonchalant about losing money it disturbs me sometimes.

On the way home, I remembered that I could have tried calling some of my daycare emergency contacts as two of them would have car seats that could accommodate DD1. I wonder if Uber or taxis can accommodate. My co-worker suggested to sign up for a CAA membership right then and there. What really warmed my heart is that a co-worker said he would help out if I had called him. His son was getting married, so he wasn't at work that day, but I know in future that I have another emergency contact.

Time to revamp the frugal efforts. I have a lot of lost ground to make up for!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

the drive in was amazing. so nice. totally worth it.
    @sweet sparrow - I hear yea. time to increase the frugal .
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@Sweets parrow We have CAA memberships. CAA can be used on any vehicle you are with, even if it’s nit your own car. We also have home insurance and a package policy on my van through CAA, which is cheaper and better coverage for us.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information