User Tag List

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree1900Likes

Thread: July 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (2nd half of 2018 and summer!)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have a different Daycare parent coming tomorrow to meet us. She needs childcare for the full week next week. My regular drop-in Daycare child seems to have stopped coming here. This happened when I told her not to bring her sick child to daycare. She was welcome to come back when she wasn’t contagious.

We spent some time in the backyard garden. I weeded in the peavpatch, Swiss chard, and potatoes. The twins snacked on Swiss chard, dill, a few peas that were ready, ting baby carrots from me beginning to thin out some rows. I am a bit hit and miss with growing carrots. Last year I replanted because they took so long to sprout, I planted the rows between the existing rows. We ran out of carrots before the end of the growing season. This year I seeded too much, especially in the last few rows. I’m trying to thin them out so they’ll grow bigger. I took a pair of sharp scissors to the vining squash plants, cut most of the ends of the vines, except one area that still has some room left to grow. My research said to trim the ends of butternut squash vines at 60cm, my plants are already larger than that. I used an entire small bag of bonemeal (only one I found at WM) on my squash patch and around my tomato plants. The last few years my garden has been calcium deficient. I’ll need more bonemeal.

I keep a running list of stuff to buy from various stores and Amazon.ca. I need to check for bonemeal and swim suit detergent.
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, Jul 12th, 2018 at 01:46 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

It hasn't been a horrible season for frugality. I should count the wins with the losses.

I've decided that any change that I find while I'm out shopping with DD1 goes in her piggy bank. The next bit of change will go in her sister's bank, then hers, then her sister, etc. We've found one quarter so far.

Also, I found her favourite chips on sale at RCSS. The large bags scanned at $2.97 on Friday. I think they are switching to a new packaging size. I was not sure if it was a good deal, but I bought four. I was back in on Monday and the price for the same bag was $9.97!

Cherries are a good price right now and I bought four bags today. Yum!

I had five $5 GCs for DD1 that I've been saving up but had to use by this week as they expire on Friday. I bought a skipping rope that she's been dying to have for $4.99 and some $2.99 crayons to use up the last cent. The total came to $3.37. The employee told me to go to Dollarama to buy the rope as they were much cheaper. No wonder TRU is doing poorly!

Another GC, I used on some Hatchanimals that DD1 missed the givaway for (she was the first person in line when they ran out). They were marked as $5.17 at the shelf but rang in at $6.99. After a SCOP and the $5 GC, it was $0.19 for two. One for DD1 and her baby sister when she's older.

Another GC, I found Minions Uno for $3.98 and two Frozen themed plastic cups for $0.58 each. The total was $0.16.

Another GC, I PMed crayons with Amazon and paid $0.94 for the 96 pack.

Another GC, I PMed Monopoly Deal with Amazon and paid $0.63 for the game for DD1 and DD2 when they are older.

Perhaps the best part of the purchases was the plastic bags they came with. Free weekly diaper garbage bags! A grand total of $1.92 not counting the crayons, which may go back now that we have the 96 pack.

Today, I picked up a package of 20 markers at WM for $1.97. Back to school sales have begun!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sunny day and well, I found a bus ticket on my walk home last night so off to the shoe store and the mall today!
    I struck out on shoes and will return later in month (the styles I wanted were sold out of my size). Had the Baja Blast drink (Pepsi Stuff entry code is under the rim of the cup) at Taco Bell and while I know it's supposed to be lime oriented, the drink tasted like a cross between Mountain Dew and orange pop. I did the receipt survey so I can obtain a free food item within a week if I buy a drink.
    Bought the ombre rose towel from Home Outfitters (it was on sale but cost more than I thought), bought a JosephJoseph soap dispenser (compact but with rectangular base-I'll replace my tippy Likewise pump that seems to jam or shoot out soap) on sale and a pair of socks (on sale) at the Bay. Very happy with my deals! Browsed some shoes and clothes but did not commit to anything.
    Very large turnout of parents and toddlers in strollers on the upper level of the mall. The mall's Facebook page posted that Build A Bear had a large turnout for an event and those who could not get in got something from staff. I also noticed that the Disney store had a back to school sale and was restricting the number of customers inside--another popular spot.

Won $5 on one of my Poker Lotto tickets from last night and bought a new ticket and spent $2 on scratch tickets (won $1 and got a third ticket and struck out). Found new to me coupons on the Fortinos Mall Rd Coupon Zone board (I have not see these coupons in Ancaster yet):
    Save $1 on any Special K cereal (Sept 8 /18 expiry)
    1 Old El Paso dinner kit + 1 Cracker Barrel Shredded Cheese = Free Old El Paso appetizer kit (Sept 8/18 expiry)

Save $1.50 on any 650ml Classico Organic pasta sauce (Sept 31/18 expiry--) I believe this was posted by @mcminsen in the Coupon Scan thread a month ago.
    Save $0.75 on any 125-250g Ryvita producct (any available flavour)-Nov. 30 /18 expiry.

I have 40 cents in containers from my walk from the mall to Turner park library. Will go soon to redeem them and pop into Winners to check out the kitchen towel selection on my way home.

Did look at a Longos flyer preview and have many things to consider when choosing what to apply my $10 redemption towards on tomorrow's shopping trip (before the bad weather happens). Just feel grateful I was able to pick up some Fortinos specials last night and one thing at Shoppers plus did the Longos grocery run with a stop at Value Village (two tops bought). Ready for the heat now (yes, there's pop at home and Fruitopia as well as tortilla bowls and shredded cheese mix).

It's a great feeling being outside and at the stores all in one trip!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Very large turnout of parents and toddlers in strollers on the upper level of the mall. The mall's Facebook page posted that Build A Bear had a large turnout for an event and those who could not get in got something from staff. I also noticed that the Disney store had a back to school sale and was restricting the number of customers inside
    They are all sold out of beach towels. I've been trying to find a sunglasses and towel for DD1 and they've been sold out for weeks.

I will wait until next year rather than buy a cheaper, thinner version at the outlet. It also comes in white, which is a dangerous around DD1. Auntie is getting her a Disney towel next year!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

went to seniors day for my milk and a few other items used 10.00 in points so only spent 32.68

haven't gotten groceries in 2 weeks (using up my cupboards and freezer food )-but got a few pears and bananas at shoppers today trying to be frugal as the car cost us 520.00 today needed muffler and everything in that line that goes with it -oh well cant wait for this months visa the other half of the roof is on it and the car -wow

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

I’m really tired it’s very hot outside but cool in my place with the AC going all day since I left at 8:40am for an appointment at 9am in center of town. It’s official I am 3 years sober from alcohol. I’m suppose to meet up with a friend today but there not answering there texts or calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Live, Love, Laugh

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greentires4me View Post
    I’m really tired it’s very hot outside but cool in my place with the AC going all day since I left at 8:40am for an appointment at 9am in center of town. It’s official I am 3 years sober from alcohol. I’m suppose to meet up with a friend today but there not answering there texts or calls.

Congratulations on your three-year milestone in sobriety!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

OK, Yahoo News has an explanation of the Build A Bear lineups like the ones I saw at the local mall-it was a pay-your-age event:
    https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/ap...192906539.html

I made a point to browse at Reitmans (a rack of tall pants! The Lime Ridge store has mostly capris at 30% off but not regular pants until I checked the Ancaster store), Winners Meadowlands (finally laid eyes on one Woolite laundry accessory-a mesh bag with 4 sections for $5.99), and Indigo (found out the reno took out the payphone and water fountain (last ones in the area)). There's a FIFA 2018 official colour page glossy book on the clearance sale tables for $5. Yes, I want one so will return for a copy later as all the venues and teams are described (to make up for not seeing any live matches). While searching for sewing kits, I came across a Sew Cute embroidery kit (only one at the Ancaster Indigo) but not the Emoji Sewing Kit. @SassyAshley , have you heard of the Emoji Crochet book? Some projects using yellow emoji faces that are crocheted. Thought you might like to know about it. I want to try to win an Indigo $25 gift card through the spins portion of the Poker Lotto online game but have not got a prize beyond extra entries for the current week's draw--the gift card would cover most of the cost of a paperback book I'd love to own.

I'm hangry right now. The $1 carton of No Name lemon iced tea on my walk from Hamilton helped me deal with a dry mouth (did not carry my water bottle-not going to forget in future) but carbs are on the brain right now. Probably a mixed salad with Italian dressing and a peanut butter & jam bunwich with a Coke will take care of the issue.

The skin on my arms is crying for a yogurt treatment to deal with the burnt parts and the peeling...

Tomorrow's to-do list starts off with laundry, then a trip to Longo's for $10 of food. I will begin viewing season 5 of Gilmore Girls.
    The weather is supposed to be hotter (feeling in the upper 30s) and there's rain too. Make sure you are prepared if you walk or bus anywhere tomorrow! Personally, I'm glad I have a jacket but I'd like an umbrella too (did not see one at Value Village that I wanted to buy).

Delighted to have found a summer schedule for the 27-Upper James bus today! I have not been downtown for the other schedules. Have noticed that the Upper James bus comes after the Stonechurch bus in either direction has already departed! Not good for those wanting to transfer onto the Stonechurch buses as they only run every 30min.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

My fridge will cost a little over $200, a bearing is going on the fan in the freezer. Have to wait for the part but it's considered a priority by them as if it stops, I would lose most of my groceries in the freezer. Went to Shoppers for seniors day and bought only what was on my list as the fridge is an unexpected repair. I did give in for a water fountain for my cats as they are fascinated by running water but hate to get wet. It's from Costco so if it's a dud, I can return it. I somehow had a $10 credit on the Walmart site which came in handy as I need to replace both printer cartidges and with free shipping - bonus. Also got a full sized Clinique eye cream as a loyalty gift delivered to my home - very pleasant surprise.
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I’m really tired it’s very hot outside but cool in my place with the AC going all day since I left at 8:40am for an appointment at 9am in center of town. It’s official I am 3 years sober from alcohol. I’m suppose to meet up with a friend today but there not answering there texts or calls. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congratulations! My dad has been sober since I was 3yrs old. I am very proud of him. A lot happened in my Dad’s life the year he stopped drinking. He became a single parent of myself and my two older siblings and his own dad died. My dad stopped smoking when I was in Grade 2. To this day he still keeps a toothpick in his mouth most of the time.
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, Jul 12th, 2018 at 10:46 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I had three library holds come in all at once so no time for the internet until after dark . I had to drive the older son to work today because both parents needed a car. So I took advantage of getting groceries at 5pm on a Thursday. I have great PC offers but I don't need beef or chicken. So I think I will push them to next week now so I don't forget them. Just bought a few things as the garden is producing a bit, just waiting for the tomatoes.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

My dad died within 2months & 17 days after I was newly sober. Yes lots of things do happen when you become sober but that doesn’t mean it takes away from it may add things.

Live, Love, Laugh

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

I heard the build a bear even was nuts.
    as today is a bit crazy. I did my shopping last night. I am able to put in 7.00 to co51/ caddle. I keep picking up teh club house burge mix ins. I am gettingthem for 49- 99 cents each. so .. nice to have for a winter meatloaf / salsbury steak / meat balls mix i later.

i also found some of the pampers 10.00 off coupons. I will trade those.
    and I found another great spot for veggie burgers ect. . if the kid is going to be vegitarian.. I am going t make it not break my budget. some of that stuff is pricey.

we have rain forecast soon.

I dont know if I mentioned it... our front porch is being delayed.. our contractor is having marital issues. I am hoping it will be resolved soon......

today is coupon sorting day... have fun all
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@greentires4me : Three years is a big milestone. Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    OK, Yahoo News has an explanation of the Build A Bear lineups like the ones I saw at the local mall-it was a pay-your-age event:
    https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/ap...192906539.html
    Wow, that's crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    i also found some of the pampers 10.00 off coupons. I will trade those.
    Are they out again? Thank goodness! I stopped buying diapers early because I wasn't sure if DD2 was going into a daycare that provided all diapers and wipes. I think I picked up enough free wipes through VIB and coupons back in the day to see her through to toilet training! I make her wipes at home so those don't count. I will certainly be keeping a lookout for those coupons! When do they expire?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

mine expire end of August. Got them at RCSS
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information