User Tag List

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree1900Likes

Thread: July 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (2nd half of 2018 and summer!)

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Talking Vancouver 2010 olympics i went to curling woman’s china vs Canada one bought two tickets. It was cool spent the entire time travelling with my sister 8 years ago to get to the events.

Apparently there is 15 notable news worthy fires in the interior of BC I saw something about it on Facebook. But haven’t watched the news today so I am not caught up.

This toe thing is definitely slowing me down. But I keep forgetting I hurt it until I accidentally poke at it.

I didn’t get anything in the mail maybe tomorrow... today it was super hot 31 felt like 35C.

Tomorrow is pay day I am going in the morning to pick up my pills before it gets way to hot to exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

It’s cooler this week, highs in the low 20s. We spent yesterday morning in the back yard. I took our son to his swimming lesson and headed outside for a walk. I took grocery bags with me in case I found bottles or cans to recycle. I scored big by the skateboard park, 2 grocery bags full, about $4 worth.

I have a few people scheduled to pick up garden produce today. Someone is dropping off a swim suit for twin girl to grow into for $4. I had 2 drop-in kids yesterday and they are back again today. Their dad is doing training to start a new job, he’s already hired. I’m waiting to see if they sign the Daycare contract that I sent home with them last night. I’m not holding my breath.

The expense lf dh’s truck repairs has essentially wiped out our vacation savings account. We don’t know if we’ll be able to go somewhere this January. Dh and I haven’t gone on a hot holiday in nearly 8yrs.
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Jul 25th, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

What I love about this SC frugal group is that we save where we can, so the financial storms can be weathered even a little better. We all know those thousands of dollars in car repairs/new roof/health costs are inevitable, so we support each other and share where we found that $1 off berries coupon that some of us could use. Even though we have to pay that large expense, we've got a dollar more than we would have had if we didn't save up our pennies.

Three cheers for all of you for all your help and support, the frugal tips, and not letting the unavoidable expenses get you down! Warrior men and women we are!

@lilo0003: I just experienced that feeling. The Costco ones seem too big, the Walmart ones rip way too easily, and the ones left are super expensive. I figure if I can make this MEC bag last until DD1 is in Grade 3 or the upper grade years, DD2 can take it to Kindergarten. Or, I keep buying these disposable ones from Walmart, which may cost the same in the end, and get her one with her favourite picture on the back. However, there's a lot more going to landfill.

The MEC one does have a side pocket for a water bottle, and the popular Jansport ones do not. At this age, it's important for her to have that side pocket and might reduce the loss of a $10 water bottle that's durable enough for rough play. It also has a safety whistle and two mesh pockets for water bottles in case one breaks. All the reviews say that it's not big enough for a binder.

DD1 is growing and fitting in clothes one or two years above her age. It may be that she will be big enough for a regular sized backpack in a few years. The other thought is to get a disposable backpack as an extra and she can have my MEC backpack in a pinch.

I'm currently using a Jansport with the coveted side pockets but it would be way too big for her.

So far, I've checked kijiji and the prices are quite high. Some people are selling her old Walmart backpack for more than it cost me new, including all taxes!

@greentires4me: Have you tried taping your toes together with medical tape? I found that it helped restrict the movement and cut down on the pain.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Wed, Jul 25th, 2018 at 10:02 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Hump day!

I'm planning to get organized for back to school soon too. I have DS's uniforms clean and ready in Rubbermaid bin. Will start adding to the bin so I have it all together. I bought him an awesome zip binder reduced at Costco last year for this year . Have a new locker organizer. And all pens etc. Really don't think I need to get anything else at the moment. He will use his Under Armour backpack again since it is like new. I will give it a wash soon.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I don't remember seeing this come up in this thread, so here it is for your consideration. When money was particularly tight for me, I found that stocking up on good deals wasn't necessarily always the best course of action. The key reason is that having stock tied up a chunk of the money I did have.

For example, if I had paid a total of $500 for the contents of my freezer and pantry, that was $500 I didn't have available in my wallet. It wasn't all or nothing, but I often had to balance saving on the purchase cost of stock that would take months to use up vs. having less stock but more money in my pocket for other expenses both expected and unexpected.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Staples Canada has been tweeting photos of back to school supplies and of course, backpacks!
    https://twitter.com/StaplesCanada/st...62721180188673

I also discovered via She Does the City that there's a Canadian who operates Kids Swag line of merchandise for children of colour, so kids can have images that reflect their own diversity on clothing and school bags: https://kidsswag.ca/collections/test
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    The expense lf dh’s truck repairs has essentially wiped out our vacation savings account. We don’t know if we’ll be able to go somewhere this January. Dh and I haven’t gone on a hot holiday in nearly 8yrs.
    Our last major holiday was in 2007 to Florida. DH thought it was much too hot for his liking in September, so southern holidays are likely off our list. Perhaps we'll visit Montreal or Ottawa someday for Winterlude. Ha ha! I take mini vacations like leaving the kids for an hour to get groceries. Maybe someday, when they're older, we'll go to Disney. I think that will be the next big trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    I don't remember seeing this come up in this thread, so here it is for your consideration. When money was particularly tight for me, I found that stocking up on good deals wasn't necessarily always the best course of action. The key reason is that having stock tied up a chunk of the money I did have.
    For example, if I had paid a total of $500 for the contents of my freezer and pantry, that was $500 I didn't have available in my wallet. It wasn't all or nothing, but I often had to balance saving on the purchase cost of stock that would take months to use up vs. having less stock but more money in my pocket for other expenses both expected and unexpected.
    I think it has come up off an on for a few years that some members have stopped buying certain items until we use up almost all of what we have. Currently, I'm trying to use up all my laundry detergent and body wash. I haven't bought any in a really long time and I've passed off a lot of detergent to family members. It's amazing how much floor space detergent takes up. When we run out of body wash, I'm thinking of switching to bar soap as I've heard they're much better for the environment.

The current economy seems to make it easier to stop buying and start using stockpile things. Couponing isn't what it once was, and I'm a little thankful for the break.

The freezer is almost empty of meat and there is lots of room for the next sale, should I choose to go.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweetsparrow/arjon-how true I haven't bought bodywash in ages(last year donated some bar soap to a womens shelter ) or laundry soap for that matter
    -like today pharmasave had vim wipes on for 1.99-1.50 cpn=.49 cents I bought 4 -no need to go over board besides that kind of stuff will dry out in a few years time regardless that it is in pkgs ,also bought myself essie nice pale light blue nail polis on clearance for 2.50 as I refuse to pay no more than 4.50 for nailpolish but that just me

went to the library and got my books I had on hold plus 2 money saving books I want to read

supper tonight pasta for hubby ,fish and corn on cob for me with a salad
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    sweetsparrow/arjon-how true I haven't bought bodywash in ages(last year donated some bar soap to a womens shelter ) or laundry soap for that matter
    -like today pharmasave had vim wipes on for 1.99-1.50 cpn=.49 cents I bought 4 -no need to go over board besides that kind of stuff will dry out in a few years time regardless that it is in pkgs ,also bought myself essie nice pale light blue nail polis on clearance for 2.50 as I refuse to pay no more than 4.50 for nailpolish but that just me

went to the library and got my books I had on hold plus 2 money saving books I want to read

supper tonight pasta for hubby ,fish and corn on cob for me with a salad
    can you share the titles of your money saving books?
    just curious and like to learn about saving money
    thanks!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

for sure shwa girl

"living rich for less " by Kelly kay
    this book pertains to the usa -I like her slogan "why keep up with the jones when you can be them" she paid off her and her hubby 40,000 consumer debt in 2 and a half years -I am on the coupon section now wish we had double coupon days -we did a few years back at pharmasave for like 2 or 3 times

"give it up"my year of learning to live better with less -by mary carlomagno

I just find them a fun read inbetween my novels -never know I may learn a new trick or tip

I found out something today at "bed bath and beyond" on the checkout counter -it stated they take other stores coupons the cashier said like home outfitters which has coupons a lot -so I found that a good tip for me as bed bath and beyond is not far from my house and I have always used their 20% off coupons that come in my mail

hubby and I are taking a small road trip on Thursday -I will let you know where when I get back
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    for sure shwa girl

"living rich for less " by Kelly kay
    this book pertains to the usa -I like her slogan "why keep up with the jones when you can be them" she paid off her and her hubby 40,000 consumer debt in 2 and a half years -I am on the coupon section now wish we had double coupon days -we did a few years back at pharmasave for like 2 or 3 times

"give it up"my year of learning to live better with less -by mary carlomagno

I just find them a fun read inbetween my novels -never know I may learn a new trick or tip

I found out something today at "bed bath and beyond" on the checkout counter -it stated they take other stores coupons the cashier said like home outfitters which has coupons a lot -so I found that a good tip for me as bed bath and beyond is not far from my house and I have always used their 20% off coupons that come in my mail

hubby and I are taking a small road trip on Thursday -I will let you know where when I get back
    Thanks.
    I am re-reading Millionaire Women Next Door. I like it because some people think millionaires all look like those on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills show, when most don't show their wealth. Many of the millionire women in the book are school teachers.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I actually no longer cut coupons for things I don't use. If I have a great coupon I am often tempted to buy stuff because it's a deal. This was my issue with glade products and all the other smellie things. It was rather liberating. Same with cleaning products. I have enough for several lifetimes. I also put the flyers right into recycling because I shop for what's on my list and I use an app not to be mentioned here so I can PM at RCSS and the 4 item limit works for me. No flyers means no temptation. We had to be ruthless once DH lost his job. Here we are a year later and still nothing permanent. Yet there is zero money stress. This thread is often a sanity saver when the temptation to keep up with the jonese reads it's ugly head.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I actually no longer cut coupons for things I don't use. If I have a great coupon I am often tempted to buy stuff because it's a deal. This was my issue with glade products and all the other smellie things. It was rather liberating. Same with cleaning products. I have enough for several lifetimes. I also put the flyers right into recycling because I shop for what's on my list and I use an app not to be mentioned here so I can PM at RCSS and the 4 item limit works for me. No flyers means no temptation. We had to be ruthless once DH lost his job. Here we are a year later and still nothing permanent. Yet there is zero money stress. This thread is often a sanity saver when the temptation to keep up with the jonese reads it's ugly head.
    One thing quite a few people don't realize util they are jobless is how much they were spending on job-driven expenses. As just one of multiple personal examples, when I left the corporate sector, I no longer had to dress to the standard that was expected there, so my yearly spending on new clothes and dry cleaning dropped to almost zero. This meant I no longer had to earn nearly twice that amount in pre-tax dollars in order to pay those expenses.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@Arjon this is so true. DH is home all day so meals are prepared when I get in from work. Takeout is not needed, jobs we would have had to outsource are done by him. no more 407 tolls, lunches out.
    I was also fortunate in that my corporate dress code became a dress for your day so that was a savings.
    we always talked about living in one income but doubted it was possible. In fact it's totally possible.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Not that the fact of walking on it bothers me anymore it’s the fact that I have involuntary movements with my feet, legs, hands, and a tremor throughout my entire body from the meds that I am on. Which has made dealing with a toe a lot harder.

It was roaster today for heat it got up to feeling like 35C today for my small city.

Currently under the blankets and took my meds going to fall off to sleep *crosses fingers*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Angela273, Ciel and dededi like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information