User Tag List

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree1900Likes

Thread: July 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (2nd half of 2018 and summer!)

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I channelled my inner @Ciel while on a walk. I must have stumbled upon a teen party, but they were tidy tens. I found a bag with about 14 empty beer cans and some wine bottles. It was easy to carry home. @Sweets parrow time does fly as my sons are about to turn 18 and 15, how did that happen. Both stand over 6 feet tall and at 5 8 I am short according to them.
    DH and I have managed to save while on one income so we are splurging and getting the drive way repaved. Its at least 22 years old and is showing its age. Our street has just been repaved so some brilliant driveway company has been busy drumming up business. I know they are good because they are here even summer and the work is holding up well.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I think someone was talking about the high price of fruits and veggies here. We like the mini multi coloured potatoes, but these are $3.99 for a 680 g bag. Nice find today--> 3 kg mini potatoes in a basket for $3.97. Real Canadian Wholesale Club
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I forgot to mention that DD1 also received some clothes yesterday. I picked up a $6 long sleeved top and $8 t-shirt that I found at WM for $1 each. Those helium balloons were $1.25 at the dollar store and I think that may have been the largest expense! That and the $1.48 tub of sour cream that I erroneously bought for her chocolate cupcakes. Anyone have some ideas for what to do with sour cream? There's a 500 g tub of it so I will need to find a few recipes!

I'm not sure how to be more frugal with Christmas coming up and DD2's birthday! DD2 definitely does not need any clothes and DD1 uses the library exclusively for books.

Oh, and DD1 got a new to her dresser from her cousin so she may be passing along her plastic shelving unit to DD2. It worked really well, organizing all her little socks, sweaters, pants, shirts, bathing suits, etc. It used to be DH's old art supply storage. Will check out the unit this weekend. If it's not useful, we'll be keeping an eye out for the fall Ikea sale.

@Angela273: Did you mention you had the Carrot app? I have it as well if you wanted to add me.

I've also downloaded Pokemon Go as an incentive to increase steps in a day as suggested by a friend. I think my waistline has reached maximum capacity. Someone asked me if I was pregnant again!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Mild dose of happiness in Food Basics yesterday upon seeing a display of Pepsi Throwback/Retro (full sugar pop from the 1980s) for $5.29 per 12 can case! Alas, I did not have funds to buy a case and indulge in nuclear sugar surge. I had to settle for a 49 cent package of instant noodles to make a late lunch for myself.

Rexall at Upper Paradise & Stonechurch stocks Pepsi Throwback for $5.49 per case. That store also carries the limited edition 7Up Tropical Twist pop. The Rexall at Upper Wentworth/Rymal does not stock either flavour.

Fortinos Upper James does not have the Pepsi Throwback (but does have the cases with the singers on the cans) nor the 7Up Tropical Twist but does have the limited edition 7Up cans with Yip (90s calling you) on them-$5.99 per case.

After yesterday's much needed 1h 15min rainstorm, I took set outside for a couple of long can walks. I found a couple of McCafe stickers, had a full card, had a very diluted hot chocolate (I had to get a straw after 5min to stir up the bottom to convince myself that I was not given a sweetened milk & hot water concoction-I did see some weak chocolate syrup stir up in the liquid. And no whipped cream-wah). Since the restaurant actually had the day's Toronto Sun, I figured it balanced out the weak hot chocolate. Found 6 containers=60 cents. Heard from a retail worker about a tornado watch. I was walking along one major road and noticed a very long dark grey underside of a cloud formation-like a super submarine, followed by weak muted red/purple/brown/gray clouds with loud lightning. Cue a rainstorm about 15min later that went super hard a few minutes afterwards-yes I got wet 10min from home (I did laundry-how exciting!).

Today's first can walk haul-18 containers=$1.80. Spent $1 at Fortinos for one Lipton's Sidekick flavour I have to replace (used sibling's 2 Sidekicks) but cannot find the second noodle flavour (struck out Food Basics and Rexall does not carry the product). Will check Soppers, & Walmart and as last resorts No Frills ($1 sale) and Sobeys on the way home. I know in Ancaster about one store out of five carries that particular noodle version. Found 1 McCafe sticker too. Popped into Winners to see if there are any other jackets on clearance and I only saw a really wimpy plastic parka reduced from $79.99 to $40.00. The shiny metal clasps are about the only appealing feature on said parka.

Rymal Road between Garth and Krieghoff Rd (one road west of West 5th St) is a real mess. The south sidewalk is closed so pedestrians have to make do with the temporary packed sandy gravel path on the north side between Garth and Hazelton, then bob across the road back to the south sidewalk (so much digging is going on the north side from Hazelton Ave to West 5th). I am not going to go that way again until September unless I am on the bus!

I noticed that the Cora's restaurant in Ancaster is no more. The sign is gone and replaced by a blank white sign and the interior has been completely stripped to the drywall. All the papers on the windows are gone, all furnishings are gone. 5 months after the fire, all hope of the place coming back is gone. It was very popular with locals.
    barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@lilo0003 I sometimes find tidy LCBO bags in bus shelters or along road shoulders with empties inside. Found two empties in the shelter bag at the bus stop closest to the LCBO. Did not mind getting the extra 20 cents so close to the beer store.

Oh, I did pick up a dime in a pavement crack in a pedestrian crossing. Good thing that I knew that the light runs long at that intersection or Ciel would have become a bright blur on that pavement!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Angela273 -that was a good offer you shared with your neighbour concerning her next car buy. Hope she is not suffering whiplash because that will affect her willingness to check out cars while her body finds its new normal/recovery path.
    If your DH is like my brother, he will find tire deals posted on Kijiji and other places online.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I get antsy when we hit the 20s on the monthly calendar, so I have created the August thread, seeing as it is July 27 today:

https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/427106...a/#post6914594

QUESTION OF THE DAY:
    Did anyone try the McDonald's Australian Bacon and Egg burger? How did you like it?

A: I have not and do not intend to try the burger. Beet chips sound cool, though.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @Angela273 -that was a good offer you shared with your neighbour concerning her next car buy. Hope she is not suffering whiplash because that will affect her willingness to check out cars while her body finds its new normal/recovery path.
    If your DH is like my brother, he will find tire deals posted on Kijiji and other places online.
    She insists that she feels completely fine. The lady’s car had much more extensive damage and had to be towed away. My friend’s van was driveable, bust some damage to the front bumper is visible.
    barbis9, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@sweet sparrow It does not feel nice when a person asks about a potential pregnancy. I sometimes feel self conscious that someone will think that with my belly as well. Twins stretched my belly area. I’ve gained weight since my migtaine started in January and never left. Pain pushes me towards comfort foods. Our son said that it distracts me from the pain.

Happy Birthday to our daughter. Our twins have their 3rd birthday next week. My younger sister and my youngest brother plan on coming for a day trip on Sunday. There is a first annual “Family Fun Day” at a local beach on Sunday. I have suggested that we treat Sunday as an early birthday for our twins. I plan on packing snacks and drinks, etc for the celebration at the beach. Children 6 and under are free, so that works well for our kids. We have to pay $5/person for the rest of us and $5/vehicle to get into the event. They are advertising free magic show, sand pit, rock climbing wall, bouncy castle, etc.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I went to the mall today

daughter-in-law asked me to return an outfit at Disney store a friend bought for cara and way too small -she asked me to get a strawed cup ,so I got a Disney doggie cup and a pkg of 2 pairs of mickey socks so I added 6.77 out of my money so she wouldn't get a credit

then bought Ashlyn a top in mountain warehouse 5.99 and uv of 50 included in the top ,got hubby sandals 29.99 reg 59.99 as his from last year have a ripped sole plus got a deal for socks for Ashlyn 3 pairs of nice back to school socks 5.00 reg 9.99

then 2 puzzles for me in value village 1.99 and 3.99-spend 5.00 save 2.00 cpn=4.50 I really wanted to go to salvation army as they were having a half price day -but my one leg was killing me ,did treat myself to lunch at harveys thou 2.00 milkshake and junior burger 1.99 so a good day all in all

oh and hubby got a bath &body works pine candle from one of his bus kids ,so I exchanged it for a lemonchello scented one -I hate the smell of pine

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I noticed this week that there were marks and discolouration on various leaves of my 3 red rhubarb plants. I contacted some local people for a second opinion because I have never had a problem with my rhubarb plants. I had to harvest any stalks that had damaged leaves, even just a bit damaged. I was told to dispose of the leaves, debris, and any nearby weeds. It is likely a type of mould that is a common problem for rhubarb plants. I’m hoping that my aggressive harvest will be enough to save the plants. I have a medium sized bowl full of chopped rhubarb in the fridge now. I’ll use some in an apple (free last summer) and rhubarb crisp. I sold the rest to a regular rhubarb customer for $5. This will probably be the only harvest until next year. My plants look very sparse now.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@coupon girl -super sandal find for your DH! Yes, it's important to have footwear in great or good shape.
    @Angela273 - your attention to your garden plants has certainly helped your harvest efforts in the past and you were swift to take action. Maybe you'll get a bumper crop of another produce item to make up for the shortage in rhubarb this summer.

Noodle Liptons Sidekicks update-success was had at Walmart Supercentre: beside the Teriyaki Noodles, the store also carries the Thai Sweet Chili Noodles and the Singapore Noodles (no other local stores carry them) for $1.47 each or current special of 5 for $5. Metro Upper James did have the noodle product for $1.99 but I only had $1.90 on hand at that point (No Frills across the road did not carry the noodle variety).

Walmart also has a 2 for $8 case pop sale (12 can case). Apparently there is Pepsi Throwback, as the customer at cash ahead of me had a case.

Shoppers Upper James/Rymal only had a few cases of Pepsi Throwback in the pop section but a large price sign indicates Pepsi products on sale for $3.99 until August 10, so GOGOGO if you can stock up at your local store. The same Shoppers did not carry any pasta or noodle Sidekicks, only soup type versions like Cream of Broccoli, Vegetable or Onion. My local Shoppers tends to have two pasta varieties (fettucine Alfredo and creamy bacon carbonara) and a third random kind (usually Chicken but this week its Cheddar). 99cents until Aug.2 at my local store.

Enjoyed using my second free A&W root beer coupon (no purchase) for a treat on my way home and found 4 more beer containers. Also got a copy of the local community newspaper. I left the remaining 2 A&W free root beer with purchase coupons in a bus shelter in front of the Shell station in town with the A&W drive-thru/small restaurant franchise.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I took our son our for a 40min bike ride this morning. I collected 2 bottles and 2 cans along the way. I collected 2 juice boxes at the park the other day. When I returned home I took all of our children for a short walk to the mailbox. Then we headed to the backyard to water the garden. I’ll have more yellow string beans to harvest tomorrow. I saw 3 tomatoes ripening on the plants. I have about 10 spaghetti squash maturing in the garden. At least two of them are the size of footballs.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sat, Jul 28th, 2018 at 03:10 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

This morning was all about cleaning so that when I return home, I can relax a bit too!
    Cool wind again-ideal prompt for quick oatmeal porridge with brown sugar and wild blueberries (frozen).
    Lunch will be pantry pasta surprise-have to see if I still have a can of pizza sauce to add some dried herbs to before using it as sauce. Feel like baking though the baking supplies need replenishing first (Mom might get a grocery visit in this weekend).

There was a good rain for several minutes and the sky is overcast. The grass is really soaking up all the moisture.

Hard to believe that there are 4 days left of July. So far, I've not yet purchased any freezie type treats to get through summer but any pop or sweet does get attention. Craving cucumbers too.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

hubby and I took a road trip this morning -S.t Jacob's farmer market -I think I spent around 26.00
    -large bucket of blueberries 5.00,sweet pears 5.00 a basket have never eaten these before (they are small,very tiny green and sweet)
    5 large zucchini 3.00 heirloom carrots a bunch for 1.59 6 corn 2.50 (I know I can get them a bit cheaper here but oh so fresh)yellow beans 1.99 a small pint basket of white potatoes 3.00 2 large beefstake tomatoes 2.50 leaf lettuce 1.99
    -stopped and got a jar of grape jam also on the road stand 6.00 (a treat)

then hubby and I couldn't take the crowds (wall to wall people inside ) so we didn't eat lunch there
    stopped at A&W and used my 2 free rootbear cpns (saved 5.00)with our burgers and fries -gave one cpn away to lady in front of me (like you ceil I passed it on )mind you here order came to 51.00 for the 5 of them

all in all a fun day
    Last edited by coupon girl; Sat, Jul 28th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information