User Tag List

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 LastLast
Like Tree1900Likes

Thread: July 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (2nd half of 2018 and summer!)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I wanted to share.
    When our son doesn’t understand what one of our twins is saying he responds back with “I don’t know what you’re saying, but I hope it’s awesome!” Darn he’s cute.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Says it’s 33C but feels like 38C outside and my AC says 70F/21C.

My appointment today I phoned to change the time and was told that they couldn’t do that. But when I got back at 1pm they were sitting in the freaking office it pissed me off because they told me one thing but they weren’t doing whatever they said they were going to do. They said they could change it to tomorrow but come check with them after 7pm. So I thought heck with it I will keep the Tuesday appointment and they could shove up the other one where the sun don’t shine. I didn’t by any means miss the appointment I phone ahead to ask to change the appointment. Grrr! I mean this is suppose to be for my mental well being yet it’s not working I am finding conflict with every Sunday and every Tuesday. I will have to talk to my case manager about it and how it’s not working.

I went and bought some things from dollar tree. And some things from Walmart. Met up with someone for tea not planned and that’s what happened to make me phone to try to change the appointment.

Anyway going to watch some orange is the new black episodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ciel likes this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We had a great day today. My sister and brother visited for the day. We took all of the kids to the Family Fun Day and had a blast, which only cost us $20 plus gas. Our kids found 2 loonies and a small toy in the sand pit, which was for kids 10 and under. They played in a bounce house, there were 3 there. Checked out various farm animals at the petting zoo. Then we headed down to the beach to cool off in the water. We had snacks and drinks at the van before heading home.

Lunch was oven baked chicken thighs, home made potato wedges, home made dill dip, carrot sticks and broccoli.
    Supper was cream of mushroom soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, our son’s request.

Our twins opened their cards and a and a gift from their aunt and uncle. I sent them home with a large bag of dill, my biggest spaghetti squash, and some multiplyer onions.

edit: We managed to get 3 loads of laundry through the washer and dryer, but the clothes are now waiting to be folded. We realized after our guests left that twin boy might be sick. He’s running a fever, being very cuddly, not eating much, and has decided to stay awake at 4am.
    Last edited by Angela273; Mon, Jul 30th, 2018 at 06:52 AM.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    @sweet sparrow It does not feel nice when a person asks about a potential pregnancy. I sometimes feel self conscious that someone will think that with my belly as well. Twins stretched my belly area. I’ve gained weight since my migtaine started in January and never left. Pain pushes me towards comfort foods. Our son said that it distracts me from the pain.
    @Angela273 : I can sympathize. I've been turning a lot to chocolate on those really difficult days with the kids that leave me exhausted. Trying to make it to the evenings with the oldest in a tantrum phase, and trying to keep the little one on schedule is very draining. So much cooking, lunches, prep for the next day, cleaning, bathing, feeding, etc.... Now it's an everyday habit.
    Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    well hung a load of laundry today -I can hear my neighbours dryer going as I sat on my back deck (its an old one)I don't know why people wouldn't hang stuff I guess too tired ,lazy ,cant be bothered .I was tired last night when we got home at 4.30 but I still did a load of towels and hung them.
    When I had DD1, I was very tempted not to line dry anymore. I am very allergic to cats, DD1 always had a rash or two everywhere. Either it was cradle cap, diaper rash, self inflicted rashes (caused by biting), or from heat. We had a neighbourhood cat who's owner kept it outdoors all the time. It would come to our yard daily and if the laundry was hanging on racks in the back, she would brush up against all the bottom laundry before settling down for a nap underneath the damp clothes. Then I run to drag the rack inside and haul it through the patio doors. If I use the dryer, no cat dander.

Most days when I rethink hanging laundry, it's not my laundry. DD1 and DD2 have a bajillion pairs of socks. I know they don't really, but it's exhausting to hang up. It takes me an hour to hang two loads of laundry. When I hang the children's load, I put a tiny little tiny sock which sits between the rungs and often, more than one per rung. If I'm doing my own, one shirt per rung. With the girls', you can fit much more than one item so I try to find room on it for each little shirt or dress. If I use the dryer, it is so much easier and faster to hang laundry. I find the time is per item, not per load.

Today DH commented that I must find a faster and less time consuming way to do laundry. I hand scrub all the stains. Most of the kids' stains is not a regular stain. If they drop cherry juice on it, for example, a regular person would dab at it and leave it alone. My two have to smear it in and then I have to treat it like a tough ground in stain. Today, my oldest had a nose bleed all over her clothes, and on three different places in her carseat that's impossible to wash. Sigh.

My friend has three small children and she does laundry every two or three days, more frequently if one of the kids has an accident (five in her household, plus her grandmother in her basement) . She cooks and cleans her five bedroom house, and also holds down a full time teaching year-round, so there is no reprieve in the summer either. With her schedule, she never has time to hang laundry. Most days, there's barely time for the clothes to get folded and into the dressers. I totally get it. There are days I live out of laundry bins too.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

morning -I totally get it sweetsparrow about the laundry -I should have said and been more specific in my words about hanging laundry -my neighbour is my age and works partime,the neighbour on the other side is 68 and doesn't hang laundry as the stairs to the basement is too much going up and down (she had knee replacement too) so maybe its hard for her

it is hard for families with kids -my dear daughter has a small amount of clothing for Sebastian but washes every second day (plus her hubby was raised in a home where its so important to have your house clean at all times etc )so he will work from home the odd time and do laundry

my daughter-in-law hates doing laundry (she done it from an early age at home )so she always has laundry to do and can never keep up with the 2 girls(and I get that as she is trying to spend time with the 8 month old cara (before she goes back to work in the fall)and Ashlyn always wants to play with her mommy too (and they do have a ton of socks ) so when I go to visit I will sometimes do a load for them (they don't mind either)my son helps out a lot too doing the odd load

plus having allergies can deter you from hanging -I also have bad allergies to cats ,when I thrift shop the odd time I sneeze looking thru the clothing and I can see the cat hairs on the odd clothing so I know its that reason

angela-such cute things kids say I love when Sebastian says ~please and thank you~ and Ashlyn talks to cara and says sister when she gets close to her and her little eyes show excitement -ahh life thru kids is so much fun

well I am off to put a load in -may cut the front today will see if rain is in forecast

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    morning -I totally get it sweetsparrow about the laundry -I should have said and been more specific in my words about hanging laundry -my neighbour is my age and works partime,the neighbour on the other side is 68 and doesn't hang laundry as the stairs to the basement is too much going up and down (she had knee replacement too) so maybe its hard for her
    it is hard for families with kids -my dear daughter has a small amount of clothing for Sebastian but washes every second day (plus her hubby was raised in a home where its so important to have your house clean at all times etc )so he will work from home the odd time and do laundry
    my daughter-in-law hates doing laundry (she done it from an early age at home )so she always has laundry to do and can never keep up with the 2 girls(and I get that as she is trying to spend time with the 8 month old cara (before she goes back to work in the fall)and Ashlyn always wants to play with her mommy too (and they do have a ton of socks ) so when I go to visit I will sometimes do a load for them (they don't mind either)my son helps out a lot too doing the odd load plus having allergies can deter you from hanging -I also have bad allergies to cats ,when I thrift shop the odd time I sneeze looking thru the clothing and I can see the cat hairs on the odd clothing so I know its that reason
    @coupon girl: I hope you weren't offended by my late night ramblings. I certainly wasn't offended by your post at all, only bluntly expressing my current situation and didn't mean to be rude or on the offensive. I happened to be hanging forty tiny socks at 3 AM last night.

DH, who hasn't a frugal bone in his body, would probably never hang his laundry. He likes the way his work clothes come out of the dryer without the need to iron, which I hear is one of the most hated chores. I certainly do not enjoy ironing, even though our modern appliance has come a long way from the old apparatus that had to be heated with fire.

My mother, who is frugal, would probably never hang laundry because she'd never want the neighbours to see her unmentionables. She's lived beside the town hall for 40 years, so the last thing she would want is a full view of her wardrobe at each council meeting! Plus she lives in a small retirement town where people talk about everything and everyone to pass the time.

Our neighbour hangs his laundry and has an umbrella rack as a permanent fixture in his back yard. He wakes up early to do his laundry and by 6 AM, it is often out drying in the morning sunrise. Sometimes, I even gauge the weather by whether or not his laundry is out. If it's out, I can take the little ones to the park. If he's taken it down early and it looks like rain, we stay in.

@Angela273: How cute, and what a positive thing to say! DD1 has picked up some discouraging words and sounds from the kids at school and camps. I wish your son was at her school!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweetsparrow -oh hon not at all offended and you were not rude ,I am pretty easy going and love to talk -i love this thread and our openness to talk about most anything plus I love reading about your little ones and angela's little ones as my grandkids are little themselves so i can relate

just talked to my daughter on her way to daycare to drop Sebastian off ,then work-I haven't talked to her in 4 days as her cousin and his wife came to visit from montreal-they stayed at my daughter with their tiny dog thur night to sunday morning -so a bit tight but they had fun -apparently Sebastian loved the 6 pound small dog and was trying to lap up the water like the dog -ugggg
    then daughter told me he is getting into the temper tatrum stage they had him at a small park near their condo and she said we will only go in the water with our socks off /pants rolled up -well that didn't happen he pulled on her hand and went down soaked and of course she didn't bring a change of clothing -he kept saying "water ,water" oh mom it was a disaster she told me -took him home in his stroller with only his diaper on she kept trying to put a blanket over him but he tossed it off -ahhh to have little ones again ,must be hard for working mothers -as I did start work til my son was 4 -but I never drove back then so I bused it everywhere all over the city -library ,mom to mom programs that were free back then etc

-just ordered from the bay -working on ashlyn's birthday gift now for oct(as she needs all new clothing for back to school) -as the summer clothing has an extra 15% off last day today -I got her a few pairs of legging and a long sleeve top (I will show my daughter-in-law if she doesn't want one item I can return ) I mean leggings on the gap were not even as cheap as the bay one pair was guess leggings reg 35.00 on for 9.77 plus thru in a top for myself for 11. something (style and company) brand
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I wanted to share.
    When our son doesn’t understand what one of our twins is saying he responds back with “I don’t know what you’re saying, but I hope it’s awesome!” Darn he’s cute.
    That is absolutely the sweetest, what a honey!

Good morning, all!

It will be another hot one here, ick!

Hope everyone has a Fab day!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

RE: Laundry. I have lots of clothing that I don't want to go in the dryer so I try to hang what I can on hangers and either hang in laundry room or right in the closet. Makes it easer for putting way too.
    My laundry room needs a good clean out (its on the list) and then I think I can start trying to hang more to dry. (Just easier then dragging outside and worrying about outside dirt/dander/smoke getting on clothing) I don't put bras or undies in dryer either so they are draped around the laundry room

Will put away the rest of the laundry tonight and fold the towels in the dryer. Tomorrow is garbage day so will clean out a drawer of 2 tonight so the garbage gets out of the house. It's motivation!

Fridge is nice and cleaned out. Will plan the meals accordingly with what we have to use up.
    Ciel, coupon girl and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Oh that really sucks. Our next door neighbour has a pretty good band, but they are ok about shutting down practices by 11pm. Their garage is fairly close to the side of our house that has all of our bedrooms. The neighbour on the other side of us has a kid that plays the base guitar. Sometimes it is very loud and repetitive, especially if we are in the living room. I hope he gets better and isn’t so loud in the future.
    Your loud neighbours make me thankful for rural living and one set of neighbours who are grandparents.

Dh has some money in his vehicle repair account, but not nearly that much. I will try to use my points rewards credit card and use the saving account to pay off the bill in full. This is not what I had the money saved for. But that’s how it goes sometimes. Makes me look for ways to increase my savings, winnings, earnings, sales, etc...especially since I have zero Daycare families right now. I lost 3 Daycare families in the last month. One family moved away, two families are unemployed. The economy is bad is SK, particularly in our area. So many houses for sale and most of them are for sale by the bank.
    @Angela273 My daycare backed out due to health issues last week! I now have to find care for a 3 yo and after school care for two school age before September. Wish me favour! Wish you were closer.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Well, the numbers are in. I calculated how much DH spent on work and how much was returned. He spent well over $20,000 on work expenses but only part of it was reimbursed. In 2017, he lost $8,845.64 to his work that we will never get back.
    @sweet sparrow UGH! We currently have over $5000 owed to us by work/church. It will be reimbursed, but it makes it harder to pay our own bills when we are being the bank to someone else. I wish they would get business credit cards...

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    I don't remember seeing this come up in this thread, so here it is for your consideration. When money was particularly tight for me, I found that stocking up on good deals wasn't necessarily always the best course of action. The key reason is that having stock tied up a chunk of the money I did have.
    @Arjon Agreed! We only buy what we need and sometimes plus one.

Anyone have some ideas for what to do with sour cream? There's a 500 g tub of it so I will need to find a few recipes!
    @sweet sparrow I like to make dip with sour cream. Use 250 g or half for recipe. Add about three heaping spoonfuls of Miracle Whip (or mayo...etc, the larger size of your cutlery spoons). 1/2 tsp each of onion powder, paprika, 1 tbsp of parsley, 2-3 tbsp of dill, salt and pepper to taste 1/4-1/2 tsp. Mix and enjoy. Tastes better after sitting for a few hours.

For the other half taco dip? Layer taco beef and your fav toppings (cheese, tomato, peppers, lettuce) including sour cream. Dip with Tostitos Scoops. My DH doesn't care for the sour cream so we put it on the side and spoon it separate from our taco dip. Fast, yummy and fun supper. I am sure there is a healthier alternative to the chips but they are gluten free, so works for us!

Caught up on reading! Tried to tag my replies as some posts I read were from last week!!!
    Last edited by Granger; Mon, Jul 30th, 2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: fixed spacing and added emoji for your reading pleasure
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@sweet sparrow -Like that you can decide the day's plans based on the neighbour's "weathervane" because that is a handy visual! As for laundry, I agree that some stains only respond to handscrubbing. Do the Tide pens or good old squirts of dishwashing liquid help your task if you use them and wait a minute or two before scrubbing or doing the old rub and wash/rinse before the washer toss? I'm tempted to have your DDs and DH go to their daily places with laundry that only gets the washer treatment and see how they like "their" stains on displays. Sometimes peer pressure gets the message through faster than from immediate family members. (I'm delighted that you have your chocolate moments-brain needs energy and you've had very late nights trying to do what needs doing).

We've been going through jugs of bleach. Bought one last night when I used the last of the previous jug to freshen up a sink-I had to seek sibling's US change to have enough to go with my coins to cover the cost. Vim cleanser is briskly used up too-new bottle will be needed by the long weekend.
    barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did three walks yesterday and found 6 containers, penny #43, 2 McCafe stickers and obtained the August issue of a free event paper. Stopped into Walmart which has 4 or 5 different Bic Atlantis pen packs on sale for $3.47. I like the original retractable pens but the Back To School display only had the 4 colours pen pack, not 4 blue pen pack.

Had leftovers from Mom's potato/beef/egg casserole (her take on moussaka because three of us are not keen on eggplant very much) for lunch and dinner last night.

Breakfast today was quick cook oatmeal with cinnamon, brown sugar and frozen blueberries.

Lunch will be cooked rotini with oil, spices and some sliced celery for crunch with an apple for dessert.

Personally am delighted that I have entered my July expenses into the Excel spreadsheet. I have not caught up with the previous months' entries so they will be done in the next two days. I want to give the paper copies a last glance for trends then shred them by Wednesday.

The grass will get a week's reprieve even though it could use a cutting due to not having runners. I compiled a list of clothing and footwear needs and realized I have to think ahead about winter footwear as well.

300 thread count sheets remain on the bed but I should launder the bedding today or tomorrow. The forecast calls for 38C or 39C for Thurs/Fri. and I'll be looking for cool cover somewhere.

Two more days until we flip the calendar pages! Think peaches.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The team at Ricardo posted a pizza recipe that uses peaches for a savoury pizza!
    https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/re...-sausage-pizza

There's a way to use most of a tub of sour cream too-sour cream noodles (side dish for skewers) OR
    https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/re...-cream-noodles

in a cake! https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/re...and-pecan-cake
    Angela273, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Sour Cream is a staple in our house! Tacos, taco salad, perogies, quesidias and nachos are a fav for the kids. Sour cream needed for all items Which thank you for the reminder! Quesidias is on the menu tonight!!! Leftover chicken from last night already cooked makes for a quick dinner tonight with ceaser salad
    Angela273, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Sour Cream is a staple in our house! Tacos, taco salad, perogies, quesidias and nachos are a fav for the kids. Sour cream needed for all items Which thank you for the reminder! Quesidias is on the menu tonight!!! Leftover chicken from last night already cooked makes for a quick dinner tonight with ceaser salad
    Yes, it’s a staple in our house too. It has baffled me when someone asked what to do with 1/2 an onion. Onions are on the long list of staples in our house.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread Information