User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Critic4234
  • 2 Post By sweet sparrow
  • 1 Post By GOGOSHOPPING
  • 1 Post By angelawinstead

Thread: Cheapest store to buy gardening supplies??

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Greetings fellow smart canucks.
    I am looking for a store that offers cheap mulch, and some simple plants (ie marigolds, impatients).
    I am looking for affordability versus quality.
    So far Iím considering Walmart...?
    Thanks in advance and happy summer!
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    Last edited by Critic4234; Tue, Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:00 AM.
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Critic4234 View Post
    Greetings fellow smart canucks.
    I am looking for a store that offers cheap mulch, and some simple plants (ie marigolds, impatients).
    I am looking for affordability versus quality.
    So far Iím considering Walmart...?
    Thanks in advance and happy summer!
    Check with your local municipality if they sell compost. Usually it's super cheap or free and is much better quality than the $1 for 20 kg bags of topsoil.

For simple plants, check your local Facebook group or community mailbox/library/posting board. Tons of people have plants that they're just weeding out because they've overgrown and these will likely be free too. I know I have lots of columbine, forget-me-nots, daylilies, rose bushes, ivy, and foxglove that I would gladly give away for free! They've come over from the neighbour's yards and are just nuisances!

I'd say aiming for quality and affordability is definitely within reach in this regard.
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Whatever's left over at store garden centres. Longos has buy 1 get 1 free annuals and herbs at 99 cents. Very limited assortment and with the heat, kind of dry stock though it's watered due to recent hot weather.

Fortinos has packed up its garden centres but will have fertilizers and leftover plants parked by store doors.

Lowes-probably not much live annual or vegetable stock left. Noticed it getting marked down in early July.

Walmart-I once bought a raspberry cane from there ( as it was 50% off and that motivated me) and it looked dry. It never grew in the garden as it was a July buy. Be wary of fruit bushes that look like toast.

Canadian Tire-my local store boasted of reductions up to 70 or 80% off but expect the little pots of herbs and veggies to be dry or dried out YMMV.
    2019 #Gold

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can try to check some deal sites or coupon sites, or some groupon sites, the price will be cheaper.
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GOGOSHOPPING View Post
    You can try to check some deal sites or coupon sites, or some groupon sites, the price will be cheaper.
    Yes I do agree with GOGOSHOPPING's suggestion.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Food Basics has some flowers in plastic pots for sale, along with bags of soils now.
    Have not looked at Walmart recently nor to see what progress has been made with setting up Fortino's garden centre.

I've been buying seed packets over the past couple of months and intend to seed them in the garden this month. Did not start any plants indoors this year.
    2019 #Gold

Thread Information