User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Value Village

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ok I’m going to put myself out there because I’m here to help others with advice, at the risk of embarrassment myself.
    Yes, I am a professional and yes I have a full time job but I still have to cut corners.
    I buy many of my professional attire and even evening gowns at Value Village.
    They look (and some are) brand spanking new.
    The best part is when you clean out your closet, you receive discount cards (ie 20%off) whenever you drop a bag off!
    This thread is currently associated with: Value Village
    Tweets77, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Some store locations have a better mix of work/office/professional clothing than other locations. I highly recommend the Upper Middle store in Burlington, ON for office jackets. The Fairview Street store in Burlington might not be as good for office attire.

I once heard from a City employee that she got many of her outfits at VV to have more options and to save money. Since that she had lots of meetings and events, the clothing gave her wardrobe more mileage.

I personally scored a Banana Republic notched lapel jacket that I love in a size smaller than I usually wear. Since the jacket's condition looked new, I was not passing it up on the 50% off clothing sale day. I have not seen the same jacket at my own town's store in Ancaster. Burlington and Waterdown stores seem to have some branded clothing from more stores than Hamilton VV stores. My first Simons Twik top came from the Fairview St. store (it was $1-love it!). I find that smaller sizes in pants and skirts seem to have the more contemporary looks. Larger sizes are mostly grey/black and sometimes navy. Rare to find a print or plaid I could wear in my size.

When my budget permits, I will purchase an evening wear garment with enough bling or fabric to alter into something I'd like to wear. Not ready to unpick stitches just yet!
    barbis9 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I never seem to have any luck in these stores with clothes.
    Ciel and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I never seem to have any luck in these stores with clothes.
    I find it necessary to check my local store about every week on non-sale days to see if new or different stock has come in. It can be funny seeing a series of similar tops or pants come in-that means they came from the same person or estate donation.
    Sale day finds are really based on chance;sometimes going in the day before a 50% off sale causes me to spot a top or item I really want-if I have the cash to buy at retail, I do. If I can only afford the 50% off price, I try to come on Sunday 30min before store opening and queue up and hope item was not nabbed by a cart shopper on Saturday night (some shoppers do fill carts on Saturdays like that).

I like going to Burlington stores (on the Mondays of the sales) for more brand variety and sizes. Stoney Creek store tends to favour small and medium sizes-large size items are really random. Not a fan of the Upper Wentworth Hamilton store. I have only been once to Waterdown-newer styles but sizes favour the small and medium sized women.

Last night, I saw a purple t-shirt in men's that I'd like for summer. Will wait and see if I can buy it before the next sale.
    barbis9 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Nice post.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i went to donate a bag of clothes...was told i needed 3 bags to get 1 stamp...this happened at 2 locations. so now i donate to salvation army, they give u a $10- off coupon when u spend over $25

VV prices are crazy & electronics never seem to have the correct plugs!
    princessjen, Ciel, cath007 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Evans View Post
    i went to donate a bag of clothes...was told i needed 3 bags to get 1 stamp...this happened at 2 locations. so now i donate to salvation army, they give u a $10- off coupon when u spend over $25

VV prices are crazy & electronics never seem to have the correct plugs!
    By bags, do the stores mean their Value Village sized ones or grocery bags?
    Sorry to read of the hassle given to your donations! There are boxes around town plus like you said, other thrift stores to contribute to.
    Chain did start charging for plastic bags recently-this will be interesting for Halloween costume sales esp. if there accessories going with the main costumes.

I did manage to get several tops at the last 50% off sale on Aug. 13 (missed the preview day as my cold was still trouble).
    cath007 likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love VV. I got several outfits to take on my vacation. They are all light and easy to pack. I usually go there first whenever I need something. Goodwill stores are nice too. They even organize clothing by colour as well as size.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did purchase a pair of women's navy dressy casual pants for $9.49 and taxes this month at my local store-pockets are included!
    Spotted some pullover wool sweaters I'm keen to buy when the next 50% off sale happens.
    cath007 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I cherish VV. I got a few outfits to go up against my get-away. They are largely light and simple to pack. I for the most part go there first at whatever point I require something. Altruism stores are decent as well. They even arrange apparel by shading and in addition measure.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I've had recent success finding zipper or button cardigans for men with wool blend at two different Value Village stores, plus two bath towels. A Salvation Army store (Stoney Creek at Barton/Centennial Pkwy) had the better men's flannel plaid pyjama bottoms (medium size) as well but they have not yet been used since I purchased and laundered them. Keep checking the winter coat racks weekly-my local store seems to get woollen long coats that usually sell within two weeks or a week (usually by Senior's Day Tuesday) of appearing on the racks.

Some sock deals can be had at Len's Mill store on Brockley Dr. (2.99 or $3.99 pr for ladies/there are specialty socks too for men or women (brand name or compression or not) as well). Have to poke at all the ones on the hangers plus look into boxes. Needs focus during that hunt and seek!

Still questing for a Uniqlo IDLF 2016 fall scalloped edge short sleeve knit top in large or XL on the VV racks one day. A zip up or button cardigan for me is another quest--I keep checking.
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

For Halloween costumes, now's the time to check Value Village's offer and those at other thrift stores!
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

About value village: I knew we have one in Drummondville but was not attracted by....
    Then I was tired to hit trifh stores and found nothing for plus size and paying to much in common retail stores( i am in a process to loose weight so i need clothes but wont spend to much)....
    Then one day 1 ppaid 40$ for a plus size cardigan and ...I said to myself wow crazy expensive..so I decided with reflexion to go take a look at value village....was pleasantly surprise to found 3 cardigan for 9,99$ each ....so noneless to said the other cardigan at laubainerie went for a refund!!!!

The store is well organizated,the staff handy its big and decent price mostly
    Ciel and GoodBoy like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

But 1 mistake I made is to not wait until my father 30% discount tuesday for senior..he is 70..so he paid for me and I refund him after ....hey savings all count ..even himself found some boots,some boxers underwears and others things

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

but for the dvd at 3$ no choice and very damaged it is a no for me when they are brand new at 5$ at wm
    and sometime the size on the sticker is not the same then the size of the clothes..they class cardigan 3x as 4x ,..that is not the same..so must try everytime...it was one of my first mistake there
    Have to go at least 1 time a week to see the new stuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information