User Tag List

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree1063Likes

Thread: August 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (summer fun and finds)

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Today was my aunts charity garage sale. So I did the drive and hung out and helped. I also squeezed in a quick visit with my mom. it was worth the drive as this was my last chance to see my aunt until next summer as she lives in Central America. I found some stuff we needed at the garage sale and have donation so did not feel guilty about adding to my stuff. I also stopped at Independent and got some deals that lined up with my PCO. But I have totally messed up my PCO because I keep getting offers specific to Independent because of all the trips to my moms. Did not feel like cooking so DH and I went to Fortinos and did the hot meals and sushi and while we spent 40.00 for dinner we earned 6500 points but with two teen boys we can't go out for that and the kids loved it.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yes lilo its great to use our points for hot meals or get to p.c points -I didn't feel like cooking wither Friday night so I brought home fortinos hot meals-chicken breast and French fries and got 3,600 points for it as I had an offer so for 11.40 hubby and I had a nice meal (cheaper than fast food an a bit better for you )

my back got a bit burnt yesterday even thou I tried to sit in the shade (had my bathing suit on)at the conservation area -I was looking last night what to put on it so I had calamine lotion which helped

I wont be on for a few days going away with family -plus we don't have a cell phone (just a basic one )I just hope it doesn't rain the whole 3 days as you never know in Canada right -we want to be outside or in the pool
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@coupon girl -for sunburn, you could try freezing a fresh tomato then pureeing it, spreading the paste on burnt skin for 15min then rinsing it off (though my mind says chilling a can of tomato sauce or passata or even a tomato then mashing it is much faster). Another remedy-apply coconut oil on burnt spots & repeat daily. Tips came from current issue of First for Women. Maybe yogurt on the skin could help if the lactic acid does not hurt (but it might as it helps remove old skin cells).
    @lilo0003 -I'm craving a slice of Fortino's Pane Fresco chicken and artichoke pesto pizza (Roman style so crust is rather thick and crunchy, not my usual preference) this month. Some temptations lurk in the hot foods area plus the sweets in bakery...

Last night, I dined on Tostitos Roasted Garlic and Black bean chips (and pop) and again during the Justice League DVD movie (I liked the Special Features segment on the costumes for the heroes-that was fascinating!). Fresh fruit helped too as the house was kind of hot in certain rooms last night. Mom actually liked the reduced produce mixes I got at Food Basics as she had a tangerine from one pack. The Ontario peaches from Food Basics are either ripe but slightly hard or still a little green-$2.88 for 3L box was worth it as the peaches are almost consumed as of this morning.

I packed my cooler bag with water bottles, an apple, a Perrier can and two cans of pop and my computer supplies before bed. Was awake just before 6am and did my morning routine before catching the 7:02 am bus! Happily, there were enough coins for one bus fare so I'm at the college for most of the day (both the college and public library system are closed tomorrow and Ciel wants Internet time...)
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Sweets parrow had mentioned the MEC Junior backpacks as ones she was considering for her kids. City Parent August issue also likes them as the backpacks were shown in the issue. http://www.cityparent.com/articles/cool-stuff-11/

The Smart Canucks blog mentions that Staples has 50% off selected backpacks online. Unfortunately, that deal does not seem to apply to their selection of kids' backpacks (some under $20 but some are over $20).

Another random summer SC blog find-Indigo has a discount on the unicorn sprinkler. That is a conversation piece if one does not want to fill a wading pool for kids.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Aug 5th, 2018 at 09:12 AM.
    Angela273, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I intend to post a few recipes (two with jalapeno as a member mentioned her crop of peppers and some dessert or savory recipes) from First for Women on Tuesday. It was too hot last night to write them out.

Papyrus cards mentioned that August 19 is Thinking of You day. Never knew of that occasion but how about surprising someone with a card (say yes to handwriting) in the mail this month? Canada Post has some interesting stamps too-I recall an astrology 10pk of stamps was listed in last month's e-mail.
    Actually I've been thinking of some of the Smart Canucks that have not been posting online recently but do pop by on the forum when they can.

Yesterday was Food Canada Day. Another occasion I was unaware of-the focus was on made in Canada foods.
    barbis9, lilo0003 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Giseledta -That list of things college students need to know article was printed again and here's the link:

https://www.thespec.com/living-story...ay-to-college/
    It's amazing how often both the Hamilton Spectator and Toronto Star run the same article on similar days or on different weeks from the same sources.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

thank you so much!!

This summer has been kickingmy a@@.
    I need to get back to some frugal .
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Purchased new king mattress set today! And not a cheapo. So excited. Cleaned out most of the bedroom earlier. Plan is to have it spick span and freshly painted before delivery!!! Then getting new nightstands custom made.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Went to no frills tonight bought 5x 950ml of Gatorade, Oreo’s cereal, spring mix salad, chocolate chip muffins, & 2x swirl cones ice cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Yesterday was a long day of travelling, but we arrived safely at our destination in time for bed. We stopped along the way to pick up my teenage nephew. We then stopped to see the great grandparents. Our twins and great Grandpa share a birthday. Our twins turned 3 and great Grandpa turned 85. Our oldest son is also named after him.

I packed lunch, snacks, and drinks for the drive. We stopped for supper for a pasta special at a place we love.

We plan on spending time at a little kids park today. There is also a spray park, which will be needed with the forecast heatvthis week. They don’t have air conditioning at this house.
    Last edited by Angela273; Mon, Aug 6th, 2018 at 09:31 AM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Enjoying the long weekend. I know not everyone has one but it's nice to have the extra day of clean hydro for laundry.
    Garden is in full swing. I have picked a pint if tomatoes everyday since Friday and a pint of beans. I pulled the lettuce yesterday and planted the fall crop. So we will have fresh lettuce again in September. I am going to have to roast and freeze some tomatoes as we have more than we can possibly use, I do love the tomatoes in the winter.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Purchased new king mattress set today! And not a cheapo. So excited. Cleaned out most of the bedroom earlier. Plan is to have it spick span and freshly painted before delivery!!! Then getting new nightstands custom made.
    So, just how does one pick out a bed? We are in the market for one, a double. It will have to be relatively firm, since we both have bad backs. I also just want a regular box spring and mattress, no euro pillow top or anything.

If you or anyone else has tips or recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Good morning, all! Happy Saskatchewan day here!
    Son is coming over this aft to help us out a bit, to have supper, and a visit.

Have a Fab day!
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

morning all. a old friend stopped by and dropped off frozen cookie dough her kids wouldnt eat. she knew I would use it up.

I am not sure if I mentioned abot gettinga front porch for my house.. it is still not on.. to say I am disapointed is a understatement. ... sigh. hubby is calling tomorrow. I am .. beyond sad.

any hoo.. I actullay have today off work . yea me. I plan on doing a bit of weeding hopefully finishing off the laundry.
    I am bbqing for supper. all in all a pretty frugal day. I may take a visit up to the garden center..... maybe... that would not be frugal in the least bit... lol....
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Frugal weekend, just bought groceries. I ignored the flyers this week and stocked up on Ontario strawberries at Fortinos - they are so tasty compared to the cardboard American ones. Went to the Y pool yesterday and today I will be outside reading with a tall glass of cold water with lime.
    Last edited by barbis9; Mon, Aug 6th, 2018 at 06:54 PM.
    Giseledta, Natalka, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Nat-not sure if you have Ikea in Saskatoon or can order online but they have reasonable prices. You could also look at Costco online-I don't think you have to be a member to order. On Moneysense.ca there is a recent article on choosing a mattress.

https://www.moneysense.ca/spend/shop...on-a-mattress/

You may want to consider a queen if you have enough room in the bedroom, as with you both having bad backs there is more room for each of you to position comfortably.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Mon, Aug 6th, 2018 at 12:46 PM.
    Giseledta, Natalka, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information