User Tag List

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1063Likes

Thread: August 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (summer fun and finds)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

If you want a reason to see a film on the big screen, go see Crazy Rich Asians. There were about 25 audience members for the first showing and some scenes like images around Singapore or the food scene or the finale were worth the screen space! Not so keen on the Dolby Surround Sound 7.1, 20 minutes of filler content before the 10min of trailers before the movie.
    Sit through the first minute of end credits or you'll miss a short scene. The August issue of Cineplex magazine also has a back cover ad for the film plus two pages of content about the film and cast.

Seriously not pleased that the smallest cup of pop cost $5.05 in total (noticed the 500ml Coke product bottles were $5 at vending machines--and I had noticed LOTS of Pepsi Throwback cases of 12 cans across the road at Sobeys for $3.99 but knew I could not sneak them in if I did buy a case--irony is not lost on me).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@sweet sparrow _ I recall once or twice looking at Victoria's Secret bras but got turned off by their cotton underwear deals when in 2012 I figured out that the cost of cotton led to a reduction in length of underwear. I compared a fall 2012 purchase to a US 2008 purchase Mom made for me and there was less fabric in the new underwear. It was too uncomfortable to wear all day but the older pair lost their stretch by year 5.
    Angela273, barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Tonight’s supper was my beef/veggie mixture, corn chips with melted marble cheese on top and sour cream. I used some of the new tomato sauce.
    Tomorrow’s supper plan in home made hamburgers, leftover boiled potatoes, sliced cucumber, and some kind of veggies.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We are still under an air quality advisory and it looks pretty smoke outside. Our twin boy has some respiratory concerns, so it might be an inside day unless this clears up some. There are 4 free paddling pools in town. The evening swim is at our close paddling pool today. I’d like to take our kids later today, but that depends on the air quality and weather.

I’m thinking about doing some baking this morming, while it is still cool.

I’ve been creating my flyer/points/rebate deals for the coming weekend.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Chapman’s website has limited rewards, but some of them are on for clearance prices. I just ordered a bunch of kids activity books. I ordered one a long time ago and it was made of good quality materials.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

just went grocery shopping this morning (of course I had no flyers they were not delivered yet ) and I don't own a cell phone but still I went to no frills and spent 103.63-80,000 in points =23.63 I saved 9.00 in coupons and 4.00 from checkout51
    -so tired of this heat -car was so darn hot when I got in it just wanted to get home just made it in the driveway before a downpour ,now its sunny and still humid-I even bought the grandkids something each cara -puffs 2.29 kinderegg for Ashlyn 1.39 and a hot wheels 1.50 for Sebastian so 5.18 of it was on the grandkids -lol

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

When I was on Twitter, I was aware some parts of Hamilton got rain as I came across mention of a downpour that affected the golf tournament for Dr Kemp Hospice. Have not seen rain here in Ancaster. Have my umbrella with me as I expect to see rain this afternoon.

Decided this morning to get a few items in grocery stores and used my $3 off L'Oreal Sugar Scrubs to get a jar (skin care treat for rest of summer and my dry skin will be thrilled) and 75cents off Ryvita coupon for a package of the multigrain crackers. Sadly Fortinos raised their Pepsi Throwback pop price up to $5.99 (wah ) so I took my shopping cart over to Food Basics for one of their $5.29 ones. Shoppers had no Throwback in the aisle nor in the usual pop sale area.

For those of you seeking Pepsi Throwback, Rexall in some stores (not Westcliffe or Upper Wentworth but try Up. Paradise/Stonechurch or Up. Ottawa/Stonechurch) will stock the pop for the Friday-Sunday $3.49 pop special.

Treat yourself to some playtime tomorrow and do something different to open up curiousity about the world around you or do a fun activity. Adult play day.

Saw mention of the BC state of emergency for the whole province due to wildfires' smoke reaching Alberta. Not sure what that status does to transit and road access or other services.

Off to home I go to see if Mom has the things ready for taking in tonight to her choir's garage sale setup. I put everything in one spot but I saw the ad posted on Facebook and think there are other items to add.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

wow just looked at my hydro/water bill online -it will come in the mail next week $56.92 more than last month ahhh the life of having central air (I couldn't be without it )good thing I used my points on my groceries this morning

gonna head over to shoppers for my milk -seniors day for me

just hung a small load of laundry out -well I can count on one hand I am sure I only used the dryer twice this past month

-supper tonight chicken ,mashed potatoes and corn on cob

just cashed out from checkout51=22.00

went to shoppers got my no name butter -personal offer =2.89 each
    stocking up on my downey too paid 2.00 each got 2 after sale cpn and checkout51
    p.c breakfast cookies 3.49-2.00 manager sticker -20%seniors=.79 may be nice with a cup of tea
    and got my milk 20 times the points plus seniors

saved 3.50 in cpns and 2.00 checkout51
    Last edited by coupon girl; Thu, Aug 16th, 2018 at 04:05 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    wow just looked at my hydro/water bill online -it will come in the mail next week $56.92 more than last month ahhh the life of having central air (I couldn't be without it )good thing I used my points on my groceries this morning

gonna head over to shoppers for my milk -seniors day for me

just hung a small load of laundry out -well I can count on one hand I am sure I only used the dryer twice this past month

-supper tonight chicken ,mashed potatoes and corn on cob

just cashed out from checkout51=22.00

went to shoppers got my no name butter -personal offer =2.89 each
    stocking up on my downey too paid 2.00 each got 2 after sale cpn and checkout51
    p.c breakfast cookies 3.49-2.00 manager sticker -20%seniors=.79 may be nice with a cup of tea
    and got my milk 20 times the points plus seniors

saved 3.50 in cpns and 2.00 checkout51
    Low heating bill for the summer months is good Makes up for the increase in the hydro bill because of the AC. So worth going home to a nice cool house and the dog appreciates it too
    Angela273, Ciel and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Yes I looked at the news today and it says BC smoke covers 4 provinces not just BC. Sharing is caring right? Lol.

I felt it today with the smoke been doing all things this week in it. So it really caught up to me.

In a different note: I am being sent to the concussion clinic in my area.

Tomorrow is the food bank well at least that’s my day i expect it to be really busy.

Anyways I am really tired from the smoke. Have a good night all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good morning Everyone,
    I think today is going to be a long day. I did not sleep well last night and I have a busy day at work. I have a conference meeting with our IT department to work out some new programming. I also need to write a training and manual for the new executive assistant who will be start in a week. I am going to go through and work step by step on what needs to be done and since I am not familiar with some of the processes this might take up a good part of my day.

After work we are supposed to be going shipping after work. We need to go to Costco to pick up a few things we only buy there.

We also need to go to Wal-Mart for a few items, we both need new shows plus I think I might buy a few big rubbermaid bins to pack some more food in as I believe some more mice have entered the basement. I had set up peppermint bags where I believed they were coming in as per a few articles I found online. I put out 6 tea bags (all articles I read said 1 would keep them away) but I found one container teetering on the edge and another container on the floor. My concern is since the hole is in the ceiling before they can smell the peppermint are they already falling into the basement but now not leaving because the peppermint is there blocking their escape.

We also probably need to go to Superstore or No Frills for basic groceries as I did not shop this week and honestly other than a few items I find Costco's produce more expensive. I will pick a store I can Price Match at in hope of only needing to go to one store.

I was kind of taken aback last night, Mom started with all of the reasons we are fighting a losing battle in our house and what i thought would be goods new she didn't seems to like. We have a wall unit in our basement we have no use for (I found out later when we moved Mom didn't even want to bring it with us but Nanny insisted we bring it as it was purchased by Grandpa, her dad and given to my mom) and it takes up half of one room in our basement it is so large. Well Bro's gf offered that they along with another strong male friend come over bro and friend would remove the wall unit and take the dump and bro's gf would help me and Mom with anything else that needed to be done in the basement for pest control to come. Right away Mom was like I do not think i like this idea, then later she is like hang on they are moving so they will be booked up for the next month or so to which I was like no they are moving this weekend and it will be done. So I have no clue, I might wait till there is a weekend she is working and just have them over to get the stuff out.

Hope everyone has a good day, must try to get a few things done before my meeting.
    barbis9, Ciel and lilo0003 like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greentires4me View Post
    Yes I looked at the news today and it says BC smoke covers 4 provinces not just BC. Sharing is caring right? Lol.
    I felt it today with the smoke been doing all things this week in it. So it really caught up to me.
    In a different note: I am being sent to the concussion clinic in my area.
    Tomorrow is the food bank well at least that’s my day i expect it to be really busy.
    Anyways I am really tired from the smoke. Have a good night all.
    We are under a smoke advisory here due to the BC fires. I kept the kids inside yesterday. We have been using the nebulizer on twin boy, as needed. We made sure to get out of the house after supper. We headed across town to check out a couple of garage sales, but didn’t buy anything. One was located across the street from a school park. This park received inclusive playground equipment in 2016. It was our first time going there since the new equipment was installed. There was a rock wall near a tall twisty slide and the kids kept racing up it. Our twins cried when it was time to leave. Our son found 2 pop cans for SARCAN and I found a water bottle.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Aug 17th, 2018 at 09:06 AM.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @sweet sparrow _ I recall once or twice looking at Victoria's Secret bras but got turned off by their cotton underwear deals when in 2012 I figured out that the cost of cotton led to a reduction in length of underwear. I compared a fall 2012 purchase to a US 2008 purchase Mom made for me and there was less fabric in the new underwear. It was too uncomfortable to wear all day but the older pair lost their stretch by year 5.
    @Ciel : I forgot to mention, yes, no underwear. I find the stitching too inconsistent, the quality is unreliable, and unless you're shaped like one of their models, it's not really a good fit.

I meant the bras, but I haven't been the right body type to shop for about six or seven years. Pregnancy makes your body go up and down, in and out so much that any elastic will get stretched, any clothing will need to be extremely hard wearing, and the fabric types are greatly limited. I only remember shopping at La Senza ages ago, pre-Victoria's Secret. They used to have some inexpensive comfortable cotton ones, but in weird colours. I'm not in the habit of showing my underwear (except for my poor neighbours when I'm hang drying my laundry, but I figure they have better things to talk about) so I don't mind. I scored a few in neutral black for about $8 a few years ago.

Now, enough about scandalous unmentionables! Back to the other frugal talk!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I ended up not having Daycare kids this morning, so I took our children to the family Centre to play. I packed snacks and water bottles. We have been here for nearly 1/2hr and are currently the only family here. The special air quality statement continues to be in effect, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to take the kids out to play. We haven’t been here in about a month.

Yesterday we baked apple rhubarb crisp and Chester brownies from a box. The apple rhubarb crisp turned out a bit sour. Our son didn’t tell me until this morning that he only wanted an apple crisp, maybe next time.

I watered the garden this morning and took some pictures of a couple insect varieties that im not familiar with. I sent the pics and info to some gardening people in my community. I think they bugs are pests, but I want to confirm before attempting to kill them all. I really try to avoid using chemicals, so we’ll likely hunt and squish the bugs. I also want to identify them in order to avoid future problems.

edit: The one type of insect is a ladybug in its larval state. The other, mobile insect is yet to be identified.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Aug 17th, 2018 at 12:36 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel and coupon girl like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

I guess I am not going to the food bank today I feel like death. My right hand hurts a lot so does my back. And my head feels like a watermelon. I got like 12-13hours Of sleep. I’ve been awake since 9:30am.

Someone was selling milk crates in my area but they told me it was a waste of time to deliver to me. I offered an extra $5 she told me it was waste of time and I was a waste of breath. Boy there is lovely people out there. I honestly wanted to say something to that but thought it was easier just to report them.

Every month we get free fruit and veg, this month it came in and staff divided it up well corn came in to. But they won’t divide it up they said they are having another bbq. I plan on not attending it’s hazardous to my health. I want my own 2 cobs and take them home and cook them myself. In the veg and fruits I received peaches, plums, tomatoes and cucumbers. The only thing I like is the plums. Peaches I don’t care for I like nectarines. Tomatoes set my acid reflux into over gear and cucumbers well ate them as a kid don’t find them flavourful as an adult.

Do you guys don’t have farmers markets in the your malls? Everywhere I go there is a farmer’s market in town that has produce on sale with local sellers. The grocery stores are incredibly more expensive for their produce but that’s because they don’t make money on them and need to sell it so the raise the prices thinking it’s like meat.

Oh my watermelon!

Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information