Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By destiny9
  • 1 Post By Anna Michele

Thread: Something HINKY about Walmart Heartland's Scale at the Check-out

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Expired on: Fri, Sep 6th, 2019
    I just bought a kitchen scale, so I decided to check its accuracy by measuring some of food I had just bought from Walmart Heartland. I pretested it by weighing a granola bar and the 2kg Redpath sugar. The weights minus the miniscule packaging were correct on the new scale.

The weights on the receipt were right for bananas, green beans, and the plums. But the weights, after these items were charged, were wrong. I bought 2 bulk items. One was walnuts, and the other was hazelnuts. The walnuts' wweight on the receipt was 630g, while my new scale indicated that it was 390g - a difference of 240g. For the hazelnuts, the difference was 262g (880g-618g). These nuts were not cheap. So I paid for more than 1/2kg than I should have. The item that followed these 2 items was grapes. Again the scale was off by 230g. It seems like their scale increased half-way through as soon as the bulk stuff were added.

My BIG lesson is to weigh everything before checking out at the counter. I hope that everybody would do the same. I could not imagine that Walmart, being such a big company, would overcharge me by increasing the weights of items.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    barbis9 and walkonby like this.
    Get $35 Travel Pony credit through referral http://www.travelpony.com/?rc=etwp

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by destiny9 View Post
    I just bought a kitchen scale, so I decided to check its accuracy by measuring some of food I had just bought from Walmart Heartland. I pretested it by weighing a granola bar and the 2kg Redpath sugar. The weights minus the miniscule packaging were correct on the new scale.

The weights on the receipt were right for bananas, green beans, and the plums. But the weights, after these items were charged, were wrong. I bought 2 bulk items. One was walnuts, and the other was hazelnuts. The walnuts' wweight on the receipt was 630g, while my new scale indicated that it was 390g - a difference of 240g. For the hazelnuts, the difference was 262g (880g-618g). These nuts were not cheap. So I paid for more than 1/2kg than I should have. The item that followed these 2 items was grapes. Again the scale was off by 230g. It seems like their scale increased half-way through as soon as the bulk stuff were added.

My BIG lesson is to weigh everything before checking out at the counter. I hope that everybody would do the same. I could not imagine that Walmart, being such a big company, would overcharge me by increasing the weights of items.
    sounds like your scale may be misreading what is the max did you try reeweighing the first few items to see if you got the same reading

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
    barbis9 likes this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I double checked all the items. The last 3 items were triple checked. It is not my scale! I don't think it is the Walmart's scale neither. I think it is the cashier's "handling" of the last three items. The most expensive item, the hazelnuts, has the most extra weight, then the walnuts, and lastly the grapes.

The maximum weight of my scale is 5kg/11lbs. And it's a Haus digital kitchen scale.
    Get $35 Travel Pony credit through referral http://www.travelpony.com/?rc=etwp

Thread Information