• 1 Post By tjthemanto
  • 1 Post By tjthemanto

Thread: ON: Amazon is hiring - Seasonal work

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

maximum is 17.25/hr, night shift

apply on line or in person
    https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/SF18...te-mississauga

Hourly Pay Rate: $15.75 (Night Shift Premium - Additional $0.50)
    Earn up to $17.25 on Monday-Thursday Night Shifts ($15.75 + $0.50 night shift premium + $1.00 shift premium)

Benefits

• Holiday and overtime pay (overtime pay starts after 40 hours per work week!)
    • Paid time off
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sounds interesting. Best for locals who can swing the transit fares or car rides to work. Too pricey commute for me though!

Any news on that second Amazon HQ in Canada?
    barbis9 and Shwa Girl like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Any news on that second Amazon HQ in Canada?
    good question
    did not hear anything

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I have heard that seasonal work with them is brutal. I watched a documentary on it when I was in the UK, staff have to prepare so many parcels in an hour. To even stand a chance of meeting the target staff were having to run everywhere they went. On the plus side, a great way to get fit if you want to be paid to exercise.
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Colsgirl View Post
    I have heard that seasonal work with them is brutal. I watched a documentary on it when I was in the UK, staff have to prepare so many parcels in an hour. To even stand a chance of meeting the target staff were having to run everywhere they went. On the plus side, a great way to get fit if you want to be paid to exercise.
    Yes. Another plus if if someone needs extra cash for bills, Christmas gifts, school, saving for a trip or whatever, this is one option that pays more than minimum wage.
    Colsgirl and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Yes. Another plus if if someone needs extra cash for bills, Christmas gifts, school, saving for a trip or whatever, this is one option that pays more than minimum wage.
    It seems like all stores around us are taking on for Christmas, there are vacancy signs everywhere I go ... but this is a good thing if people need to earn some extra $$$.
    Ciel likes this.
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Colsgirl View Post
    Yes absolutely horrible and terrible company to work for. You are basically a warehouse slave if you work in their Fulfillment centre as a picker, packer, sorter, shipping, receiving or whatever.

They hire through their own in house staffing company called SMX Staff Management.Basically a temping agency on their premises. The people who run it, have absolutely no manners or respect. They will intimidate you, bully you, shout and yell at you, and won't leave a single opportunity to insult you.

After they have finished using you for the holiday season with insane targets to reach, you are discarded aside. Most people don't even last there for the 2 month holiday season. Mostly immigrants working there, who are used big time and are desperate for the jobs.

You are treated like criminals and thieves, with you going through metal detectors and security. Each and every thing is tracked to the last minute - your lunch breaks, water breaks, toilet breaks - you name it.

You are mentally and physically broken down there in a dull boring freezing cold humongous warehouse.
    At the end of the day your body is so sore and tired, you can barely wake up the next day.

Brutal 12 hour shifts, with mandatory Over time, whenever they want and sending you home with less hours if that day is slow. So you can come for a 12 hr shift and if it's slow that day they will send you home in 4 hrs and pay you just for 4 hrs, wasting your time and energy. Or they will ask you to work 16 hrs at a stretch, if that day is busy.

They absolutely don't care about you. Only numbers, figures, bottom line and insane work load and targets, which they force you to achieve. Constant warnings, both verbal and written are given, by power tripping managers and supervisors.

Mississauga, Brampton, Milton, Vancouver they are all the same. Both SMX Staff Management and Amazon should be ashamed of themselves for how they treat their warehouse slaves, I mean employees.

I know OP means well , not blaming her and wants to help people, but think 10 times before working for Amazon or SMX Staff Management.

You might make a dollar more per hour over here, but they will squeeze blood out of you over here
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

A freezing cold environment would mean I'd basically be in the bathroom most of the shift! Not to mention at risk of making some kidney stones too. However, if I had scored some free Heattech gear from Uniqlo, that gear would be perfect for the "amazing race at work" warehouse.
    Chances are many people who do work in an Amazon warehouse are literally daydreaming the days left to work or when they can afford better footwear, footspa or warmer coat to stay upright. Maybe we can figure out how to buy Amazon stock and gain a seat on the board of directors to make changes to the workplaces.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    A freezing cold environment would mean I'd basically be in the bathroom most of the shift! Not to mention at risk of making some kidney stones too. However, if I had scored some free Heattech gear from Uniqlo, that gear would be perfect for the "amazing race at work" warehouse.
    Chances are many people who do work in an Amazon warehouse are literally daydreaming the days left to work or when they can afford better footwear, footspa or warmer coat to stay upright. Maybe we can figure out how to buy Amazon stock and gain a seat on the board of directors to make changes to the workplaces.
    Absolutely the worst company to work for.

Even as a customer their prices are not that great either. If you can buy something locally, buy it and support a small business, instead of this horrible company.
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information