User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Warning! Don't eat romaine lettuce ON & QC

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

So they were able to trace it to a farm in California, but

California farm linked to romaine lettuce E.coli outbreak recalls additional produce

https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/429176...a/#post6945820

Ciel and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

I am concerned if I can use Andy Boy Romaine hearts from No Frills( purchased this just one hout before I saw this post).
    TIA

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I usually buy the attitude brand prewashed mixed greens (which contain romaine) but now i am confused. It says on the package from canada, but then it says imported and local ingredients. I'm wondering if that is the toppings that are imported or the lettuce itself. Ugh. I miss Caesar Salad so much
    Natalka, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

OTTAWA — With no new cases of E. coli connected to romaine lettuce detected since mid-November, the leafy green is probably safe to eat again, the Public Health Agency of Canada reported Monday.

The tainted lettuce seems to have come from three counties in California and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency has banned imports of lettuce grown there.

https://battlefordsnow.com/article/633838/month-after-last-illness-reported-health-agency-says-romaine-ok-again
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Longos made a point to send e-mails to registered shoppers of its Thank You Rewards program an update that they switched romaine suppliers to ones in Arizona from their usual California ones. Hope that helps members.
    Natalka and GoJays like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I actually bought a head of iceberg yesterday and looked at the packaging and it said andy boy, which i usually buy, and it said product of USA, but it didnt say where. so i put it back, and got an organic one from california..i washed the heck out of it last night in lemon water, this is how paranoid i am. lol... i eat lettuce everyday and have not been sick yet. am i just paranoid?
    Natalka likes this.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

No, not paranoid, @TudorChick

The only thing is that washing doesn't get rid of ecoli. One would have to cook it.

Over the last month, the CFIA has implemented import control measures to ensure that romaine lettuce from affected regions in Califonia identified in the U.S. FDA's investigation is not being imported into Canada. The CFIA is continuing to monitor the U.S. FDA's investigation into the possible causes of contamination and will amend their import control measures as necessary to ensure that romaine lettuce that was harvested in the affected California growing regions as identified by the U.S. FDA. is not being imported into Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/public-health-notices/2018/outbreak-ecoli-infections-linked-romaine-lettuce.html

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by TudorChick View Post
    I actually bought a head of iceberg yesterday...
    Just an FYI, the advisory was for Romaine lettuce, not iceberg lettuce. I also buy the "Boston" lettuce (which doesnt necessarily come from Boston) but it's the hydroponic leafy-lettuce. It also is not affected by this advisory.

and looked at the packaging and it said andy boy, which i usually buy, and it said product of USA, but it didnt say where. so i put it back, and got an organic one from california..
    You actually might be MORE at risk for buying organic because "organic" farms try and avoid using certain items like pesticides and soil additives. However, said items might actually prevent certain disease, infestation, and contamination. "organic" isnt necessarily better for you, even though it's given the illusion of being so -- It's my belief that the mass of organic food pushers are also people who don't immunize their kids. As well, the organic propaganda would lead you to be believe that if you eat stuff that was GMO'd or where pesticides were used, that you'll wind up growing a third nipple on your forehead and give birth to babies with hooves instead of feet. To be clear I'm not condoning an over abundant, un-monitored use of chemicals and pesticides either, but there has to be a happy medium... but I digress.

Regardless, as above, you bought iceberg lettuce, so you're probably fine in regards to this particular advisory.

i washed the heck out of it last night in lemon water, this is how paranoid i am. lol...
    (as was stated by Natalka) washing it wont kill e-coli. It's not a bad idea, but will probably do more for pests, dirt, and other contaminants. Plus the lemon might even preserve the crispness of the lettuce a bit longer, but none of that would kill e-coli.

However, (and still as above) you bought iceberg lettuce, so you're probably fine in regards to this particular advisory.

i eat lettuce everyday and have not been sick yet. am i just paranoid?
    Possibly... (just kidding)
    Most every store in my area (Sobey's, Superstore, Walmart, and Costco, that I noticed) and a couple of restaurants I've been to have done their due-diligence to remove any affected product from their shelves, and/or post notices that the products they DO carry are certified to come from Arizona or New Mexico, etc. and not be part of the problem.

Your grocer has probably done the same to avoid litigation.

That said, you bought iceberg lettuce, which was on the shelf and not pulled -- so you're probably fine in regards to this particular advisory.

I would say, Enjoy your lettuce with peace of mind.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Jan 1st, 2019 at 09:07 AM.
    walkonby and TudorChick like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Yesterday was the first day in a long time myself and DD had a big Caesar salad for lunch. We miss our salads it was the best lunch in a long time.
    Natalka, GoJays and walkonby like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Since the start of the romaine warning it is really only DH who loves a Caesar salad, while I prefer those Spring Mix ones with all the tender baby greens in them.
    Imagine my surprise a week into the recall I read the front of my Spring mix clamshell and see it contains baby Romaine!
    However, since I had been eating it all along, meh?

Then the stores started carrying the Spring Mix ( clearly marked ) " contains No romaine "
    Whew! Most recently I have enjoyed small bags of baby Arugula mixed into my Spring Mix.
    I've enjoyed a big dinner salad almost every day since the end of October.....that recall ain't booting me off my Dr. Poon plan, I'll work around it with whatever safe lettuces there are.
    Last edited by walkonby; Tue, Jan 1st, 2019 at 08:42 AM.
    Natalka and TudorChick like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Guess the best bet is to get a few of those evergrowing lettuces and grow them at home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

https://surveys.gobranded.com/users/...f49b113b291653

Starting a new Chapter in the Golden Horseshoe in 2017!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's happening again, don't consume romaine lettuce!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/canadi...case-1.4699515

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Ciel and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Longos sent out another e-mail about the romaine lettuce-any heads of concern were removed. Only Arizona stock is in stores.

rayray and walkonby like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There have been so many of these over the past few years i dont know if i ever feel safe eating romaine anymore
    LIVE SIMPLE likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information