User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Do you ever talk to strangers?

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Probably when you were little you were told not to,and then when you had kids of your own you passed on this advice(even more so in this day and age).Now that you are an adult do you do so? Yes/No? Why/Why not?.
    I ask because I fractured my hind paw 5 weeks ago and have been wearing a foot cast.Fortunately for me, a friend takes me to our local mall so I can get some walking done.Anyhow I've noticed the same people there pretty much all the time and they have been
    by themselves.So I have started to take the initiative to speak to these people and you know what? They are more than happy to have someone to talk to.There are lonely people out there, and if we each just stopped and gave them a few minutes of our time,just imagine the difference you could make.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I am an immigrant and the Country that I grew up in I was always thought to say good morning or good afternoon to everyone I see no one was considered a stranger. So I do the same as an Adult here. With my personality I can start up a conservation with any one so I do it all the time. Now having kid I thought them not to talk to strangers . But now that they are Adults too the say Hi and Hello only to the familiar faces the know. Where as for me it’s different. There are many Seniors who are starving for a conversation . At son of the malls near where I live the just go there and sit by them selves @nd even a smile makes there day. I think some times the little gestures we do can make some ones day.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

For me, it depends on the situation, Skippy. I'm not terribly good at initiating the conversation but if someone starts talking then I'll talk back. Mostly. There are some days that I wish I had a hat that said 'Don't Bother'.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

yes
    at the gym, some people come up to me and ask me how to use the equipment and we talk during breaks

at the bus stop, taking the GO and UP express to the airport, will talk to my fellow traveller, especially if they have the same carry on luggage as me (business trip)

at the supermarket, fellow shoppers who are looking for the 50% off rack, we strike up a conversation and they tell me that I missed a deal in the meat department

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

In superstore the other day, a lady was asking a cashier what is a "determinate" and "indeterminate" tomato.
    Her dh had build her a greenhouse and told her to get bush tomatoes.
    As the clerk didn't know and I was beside them, I said check it out on google on your smartphone. I don't have a smartphone!, the lady said. Well I do! Let's see
    what it says "determinate" means the bush will only grow to the specified height; "indeterminate" says the plant can possibly grow higher. Looks like you want the determinate package of tomato seeds! She was so happy to buy the right kind.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by flemeth View Post
    I am an immigrant and the Country that I grew up in I was always thought to say good morning or good afternoon to everyone I see no one was considered a stranger. So I do the same as an Adult here. With my personality I can start up a conservation with any one so I do it all the time. Now having kid I thought them not to talk to strangers . But now that they are Adults too the say Hi and Hello only to the familiar faces the know. Where as for me it’s different. There are many Seniors who are starving for a conversation . At son of the malls near where I live the just go there and sit by them selves @nd even a smile makes there day. I think some times the little gestures we do can make some ones day.
    I understand where your coming from flemeth ..here in Newfoundland is same ..we always greet people with good morning, good evening etc.when i was living in Ontario for 5 years ... i couldnt change my ways ..people would look at me like i had something wrong with me .. i would keep door open for people coming into grocery store etc ..people would say if they knew anything about Newfoundland..wondering if i was Newfoundlander ..cause most people wouldn’t keep door open ..those things you just cant stop ..what you grew up doing ..i still do it .. even in community i grew up in ..we always greet our older residents with Mr & Mrs ..even some people we knew a lot in our community ..we even called them aunt or uncle ..though we weren’t related to them ..just respect for people .
    Skippy, Natalka, barbis9 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Probably when you were little you were told not to,and then when you had kids of your own you passed on this advice(even more so in this day and age).Now that you are an adult do you do so? Yes/No? Why/Why not?.
    I ask because I fractured my hind paw 5 weeks ago and have been wearing a foot cast.Fortunately for me, a friend takes me to our local mall so I can get some walking done.Anyhow I've noticed the same people there pretty much all the time and they have been
    by themselves.So I have started to take the initiative to speak to these people and you know what? They are more than happy to have someone to talk to.There are lonely people out there, and if we each just stopped and gave them a few minutes of our time,just imagine the difference you could make.
    I agree with you 100% skippy ..we can make a difference in someone’s life ..if we only stop for few minutes say hello and ask them how their doing etc..i speak to lots people while im out shopping or whatever im doing out in public ..just saying a simple word like hello or how are you today ..can make someone’s day lot better ..i wont change way i am for know one ..this is way i well be to i die .
    Skippy, barbis9, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

Depends on the situation...sometimes when I am waiting in line ...or when I am going to hold up the line myself with coupons I apologize ahead of time if I think it might take a bit of time. I love seniors so I usually chat with them the most.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I've always been gregarious, since a small child. Grew up in two small towns, then a small city - and all were friendly places. Parents set the example, since they were very friendly and open.
    Can talk to anyone about anything. We raised our son the same way.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I love chatting with strangers during the day but wouldn't at night.
    Newfiescreech and Skippy like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Not strangers but people I commute with and see all the time, enough to say hello and how is your day going/nice weather etc.

My boyfriend talks to complete random people though.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

yes Skippy, I am THAT person now, I start the conversation. When I was working FT I was always rush, rush, rush. No time for strangers BUT I always engaged my senior customers in conversation when I came with their mail.
    Now I have more time to smell the flowers, and I have met lovely people at the Malls, but also at grocery stores. As you said most of them appreciate a short conversation and a few can make me laugh. A win -win!

babies teach us acceptance

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

nice topic skippy -I can talk to anybody about anything (had a very talkative mother and a daughter too)I am rwading about about kindness -last week struck up a conversation with a senior while waiting for my number to come up in cogeco myesterday at sobeys with cashier (mind you I didn't know if I was speaking to a guy or girl due to the short buzzed haircut ) but then realized her name tag as I gave a nice comment to the supervisor about her lovely personality

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Sometimes...it depends on how I feel on that day.

I spent an hour talking to a couple of random people in a D&D shop last week because I was looking at 5th edition stuff. I ended up with far too many suggestions for scenarios I was planning on buying.

I volunteered to DM for some of the brood's friends over the summer holiday.

Means we have to keep the house tidy as well so a win/win as far as I'm concerned.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

yes i do in the gym as sometimes i need help with the weights.
    Newfiescreech and Skippy like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information