User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Carbon Tax Rebate - April 1, 2019 - How will you receive it?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

https://globalnews.ca/news/4586374/c...-need-to-know/

As you know Trudeau is starting Carbon Tax in 4 provinces. If you live in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick, you’ll soon be subject to a federally imposed carbon tax.

The rest of the provinces already have it in place.

To offset it, he is giving some carbon tax rebates. How will you get these rebates? Will it be a direct deposit or will they mail a cheque?

Official name of the rebate is Climate Action Incentive Rebate.

Also will the rebates be automatic? Or do you have to file your 2018 income tax return to get that carbon tax rebate? So if you don't file taxes on time or there is a delay in filing/processing your tax return, your carbon tax rebate is postponed or withheld.

The average household will receive an incentive of $598 in Saskatchewan, $248 in New Brunswick, $300 in Ontario and $336 in Manitoba. That will rise over the years.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Mon, Jan 7th, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

So do we get this one time rebate in our bank on April 1, 2019 or something? And also the following years up to 2022.

Say like the other governments rebates, benefits and credits are deposited on a fixed date like say the HST quarterly credit or monthly Canada Child Benefit or Ontario Trillium Benefit.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

following for information...
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Also following for more info.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Looks like it will just be added to your IT refund, when you file your taxes.

" The money for Canadians in the four affected provinces will be delivered as part of federal tax returns. It’ll either be added to the money you get back at the end of the year, or subtracted from what you owe the Canada Revenue Agency. "
    A line will be added in future income tax forms and individuals will be able to apply for the annual Climate Action Incentive rebate when they file their taxes for 2018. Delivering the rebate through the tax system was the simplest way to get money to Canadians, senior officials told reporters in Ottawa.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/how-...-out-1.4146471A line will be added in future income tax forms and individuals will be able to apply for the annual Climate Action Incentive rebate when they file their taxes for 2018. Delivering the rebate through the tax system was the simplest way to get money to Canadians, senior officials told reporters in Ottawa.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Sun, Jan 6th, 2019 at 07:10 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Here's how those dollars will be doled out.
    Ontario:
    In Ontario, the carbon tax rebate for an average family of four in Ontario will be $307 in 2019, increasing each year. Come 2022, the rebate for the average Ontario family of four will be $718.
    In 2019 each single adult or first adult in a couple will receive $154; the second adult will receive $77, as will single parents for their first child; and for each child in a family the rebate will be $38.
    Come 2022 each single adult or first adult in a couple will receive $360; the second adult will receive $180 as will single parents for their first child; and for each child in a family the rebate by then will be $89.
    New Brunswick:
    The carbon tax rebate for a family of four in New Brunswick will be $256 in 2019, growing to $607 in 2022.
    In 2019 each single adult or first adult in a couple will receive $128; the second adult will receive $64, as will single parents for their first child; and for each child in a family the rebate will be $32.
    Come 2022 each single adult or first adult in a couple will receive $303 the second adult will receive $152 as will single parents for their first child; and for each child in a family the rebate by then will be $76.
    Saskatchewan:

In Saskatchewan the carbon tax rebate for a family of four will be $609 in 2019, increasing to $1,495 in 2022.
    In 2019 each single adult or first adult in a couple will receive $305; the second adult will receive $152, as will single parents for their first child; and for each child in a family the rebate will be $76.
    Come 2022 each single adult or first adult in a couple will receive $731 the second adult will receive $364 as will single parents for their first child; and for each child in a family the rebate by then will be $182.
    Manitoba:
    In Manitoba the carbon tax rebate for a family of four will be $339 in 2019, rising to $801 in 2022.
    In 2019 each single adult or first adult in a couple will receive $170; the second adult will receive $85 as will single parents for their first child; and for each child in a family the rebate will be $42.
    Come 2022 each single adult or first adult in a couple will receive $402 the second adult will receive $201 as will single parents for their first child; and for each child in a family the rebate by then will be $99.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Basically your own money, which you will be getting back.

Your gas, electricity and heating bills will go up because of this carbon tax.

Plus lot of companies and businesses who have to pay this carbon tax will also pass on this tax indirectly to consumers, they are not going to absorb it, so expect lot of products, services and commodities to also go up in price.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Ty

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"In Ontario, for example, the fuel charge on gasoline, in 2019, will be 4.42 cents per litre and the fuel charge for natural gas used in home heating will be 3.91 cents per cubic metre. These rates will increase over time. A complete list of fuel charge rates is available on Finance Canada’s website".

Both increases are going to have an impact, but it will be felt more so for when you have to heat you home.

I guess that is why we are getting a rebate. I wonder though if the rebates will be enough to cover the costs? I guess we will find out.......
    Last edited by maggiespice; Mon, Jan 7th, 2019 at 01:20 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Glad I saw this thread. Best to save the money to pay for the increased cost of things/services as a result of the tax.

I recall on Jan. 1, the big news soundbite was that Ontario Premier Ford was taking the praise for making gas prices lower due to taking out the carbon taxes in gas. Or so that is what he claimed. Bet he is not happy about the rebate...
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Jan 8th, 2019 at 01:24 PM.
    barbis9 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I recall on Jan. 1, the big news soundbite was that Ontario Premier Ford was taking the praise for making gas prices lower due to taking out the carbon taxes in gas. Or so that is what he claimed. Bet he is not happy about the rebate...
    Ford is putting this province so far back in history - any progress we have made updating school curriculums, mandating city council sizes, making changes weeks before elections, clearing air, cutting emissions to slow global warming and protecting delicate ecosystems in the past 30 years is being completely obliterated by his policies- who cares if he is unhappy? It is Ontarians who should be aghast at his shortsightedness, mud slinging and self serving political rhetoric that is generating needless additional costs in innumerable other sectors.

Our gas prices are no less than Manitoba or Alberta - kind of tough to claim it was all him.

(I just reread this - it is not meant as an attack - just frustration. If this is inappropriate - please feel free to delete it)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

https://surveys.gobranded.com/users/...f49b113b291653

Starting a new Chapter in the Golden Horseshoe in 2017!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Basically your own money, which you will be getting back.

Your gas, electricity and heating bills will go up because of this carbon tax.

Plus lot of companies and businesses who have to pay this carbon tax will also pass on this tax indirectly to consumers, they are not going to absorb it, so expect lot of products, services and commodities to also go up in price.
    The increase in gas, electricity and heating bills will be difficult for some to pay. We have a federal election in 2019. Maybe Justin and the Liberals will have some goodies to entice people to vote Liberal again

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Sadly the Carbon Tax will be permanent. The rebates will be only temporary for 4 years. After that you are on your own.

Plus I don't believe the gov figures, the Carbon Tax will cost the average family much more annually than they are forecasting. The rebates won't really cover that or offset it.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The municipal water and wastewater rates just went up in Hamilton! Annual January tradition for the past couple of years.
    Thus all of us will be working out where to save or to cut back on purchases or services to cover the carbon tax or annual rate increases. I think April will have most of looking to see what prices will increase.
    barbis9 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Sadly the Carbon Tax will be permanent. The rebates will be only temporary for 4 years. After that you are on your own.

Plus I don't believe the gov figures, the Carbon Tax will cost the average family much more annually than they are forecasting. The rebates won't really cover that or offset it.
    Yup, so if I have the government spin right - it will increase government revenues, not hurt companies and will return more to taxpayers than they put in?

I understand the need for taxes, but I really don't like be lied to about them.
    barbis9 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information