• 2 Post By Miss Molly
  • 1 Post By GoJays
  • 1 Post By olivercat
  • 2 Post By Buddyboy546

Thread: PC optimum - my two cents

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I keep reading various posts, comments, complaints, and threads about PC Optimum. And while this isnt really a 'rant' perse, it's a bit of a head-shake if you will.

People in other threads complain that they didnt get points they were owed... or the PCO system was down... or people had points vanish from their account for no reason... or they were stolen... or this or that.

Here's my two cents about PC Optimum.

It's a loyalty program. As a reminder: loyalty programs are a way to 'reward' for YOUR loyalty to shop at that brand versus their competitor. But it quickly becomes more than that. They are also using it for their marketing purposes, to track what you buy, how often, generate stats, etc. This is extremely valuable data for them and as such YOU have become a value to THEM. So their loyalty program should be treated as a two-way relationship. If THEY cant manage it and make it work as promised... then do they deserve your loyalty? -- I say that if they're that much of a failure at earning/maintaining your loyalty, then stop giving them the data they so richly desire. Show them that it's not working by shopping elsewhere. Go to Sobey's instead, collect AirMiles instead.

It's like being in an actual relationship where your significant other was disloyal to you. You'll find yourself constantly doubting them having to check and see if they are continuing to be faithful or not. Even if it was only once. -- But if it was twice?... or even more times? Then Why are you still hanging around? Who needs that heartache?

Soon after the merging of PC+ with Shoppers Optimum and ALL the headaches that came with that, I called up and cancelled. I made the active choice (instead of just abandoning it) so that THEY KNEW I was frustrated and would be doing business elsewhere. It's been over a year now since the merger and I keep hearing about countless people who are still having problems with them, and it seems they still havent got it working right.

Glad I dumped them at the curb once they started jerking me around. That's not to say I dont shop there. Loblaws and I are still 'friends'. But I dont let the allure of their failed loyalty suck me in again. I only go there if for a specific item, or if their prices are better that week than the other guys.

I've heard the argument that certain perks of PC Optimum are better than AirMiles. However, They're only better if you're assured to get them and if you arent wasting your time and energy to fight with them and work through aggravation and frustrations to ensure you do.

Again, just my two cents.

This thread is currently associated with: Air Miles, Loblaws, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Mon, Mar 11th, 2019 at 01:14 PM.
    Natalka, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

Sorry you've had bad luck with them.
    I'm pretty sure I will never cancel. For my purposes, and for my family, I loooove the Optimum program. I use my card to get food on sale, sometimes with coupons, then earn points to get free stuff. Win/win for me! I'm not sure the full amount I've saved and gotten free, but certainly in the thousands over the years.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valerey View Post
    Sorry you've had bad luck with them.
    I'm pretty sure I will never cancel. For my purposes, and for my family, I loooove the Optimum program. I use my card to get food on sale, sometimes with coupons, then earn points to get free stuff. Win/win for me! I'm not sure the full amount I've saved and gotten free, but certainly in the thousands over the years.
    Same here, and being able to collect points on gas is great. I've definitely earned hundreds of dollars in free groceries in the past few years. I'll never cancel.

I've had a few problems, but nothing too extreme. Every time there's been issues, I've put in a claim on the app and have been awarded points within 24 hours.
    Last edited by GracieAnne; Mon, Mar 11th, 2019 at 03:24 PM.
    Valerey and Rubialoca like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    I keep reading various posts, comments, complaints, and threads about PC Optimum. And while this isnt really a 'rant' perse, it's a bit of a head-shake if you will.

People in other threads complain that they didnt get points they were owed... or the PCO system was down... or people had points vanish from their account for no reason... or they were stolen... or this or that.

Here's my two cents about PC Optimum.

It's a loyalty program. As a reminder: loyalty programs are a way to 'reward' for YOUR loyalty to shop at that brand versus their competitor. But it quickly becomes more than that. They are also using it for their marketing purposes, to track what you buy, how often, generate stats, etc. This is extremely valuable data for them and as such YOU have become a value to THEM. So their loyalty program should be treated as a two-way relationship. If THEY cant manage it and make it work as promised... then do they deserve your loyalty? -- I say that if they're that much of a failure at earning/maintaining your loyalty, then stop giving them the data they so richly desire. Show them that it's not working by shopping elsewhere. Go to Sobey's instead, collect AirMiles instead.

It's like being in an actual relationship where your significant other was disloyal to you. You'll find yourself constantly doubting them having to check and see if they are continuing to be faithful or not. Even if it was only once. -- But if it was twice?... or even more times? Then Why are you still hanging around? Who needs that heartache?

Soon after the merging of PC+ with Shoppers Optimum and ALL the headaches that came with that, I called up and cancelled. I made the active choice (instead of just abandoning it) so that THEY KNEW I was frustrated and would be doing business elsewhere. It's been over a year now since the merger and I keep hearing about countless people who are still having problems with them, and it seems they still havent got it working right.

Glad I dumped them at the curb once they started jerking me around. That's not to say I dont shop there. Loblaws and I are still 'friends'. But I dont let the allure of their failed loyalty suck me in again. I only go there if for a specific item, or if their prices are better that week than the other guys.

I've heard the argument that certain perks of PC Optimum are better than AirMiles. However, They're only better if you're assured to get them and if you arent wasting your time and energy to fight with them and work through aggravation and frustrations to ensure you do.

Again, just my two cents.

I also had lot of issues when the merge. But after a few of months and I got all my points. I did not have any major issues with them. If ever I am missing points I will call and be awarded the points. I love this Loyalty Program. I have gained a lot of Free stuff thorough this programme and I am not willing to give it up as yet.
    GoJays, Valerey and Rubialoca like this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Have to agree that PC Optimum does seem to (At least in my opinion) screw around with us at times. But sadly, I still believe, even with all the issues, it is still one of the better programs for now. Meat price matching + Points offers can be VERY overpowered, earning on couponed items is also great too, and for me (at least for the next month) the Student Points on Tuesday is great too.

While I have had numerous issues with them in points earning, I have almost always gotten my points I should have (I think only once I couldn't get them despite the correct purchase), but I think I must have also earned into the thousands of dollars back in points from them that have helped to cut my grocery costs down to almost (and in some cases lower than) nothing! I'm currently sitting at 120,000Pts on one card, and about 110,000Pts on the other which should be able to sustain me until the end of the year (Unless I am able to earn back more points).

So again, while PC Optimum can be a very difficult program at times, I still believe strongly that it is a strong program to earn on and save tons of money on your groceries. But again, just my thoughts on it.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I think they ironed out their issues. I am so happy that they merged with SDM because I tend to get a lot of points there with strategic shops. I just redeemed $70 in points at Loblaws tonight and made back 21,000.
    Valerey likes this.

My Tangerine Key is:39626323S1

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Worth the discussion. While I was enthusiastic about last year's merger of the two programs, I jumped off four months' later. Still rely on Fortinos and Shoppers for some specials and deals but not worried about chasing points (though I do miss them sometimes when a receipt says I could have had x points).

The barcode from the card lurks in my personal effects somewhere though the rest of card and keytag were long ago cut up and binned.
    Valerey likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    126 (100%)

I barely ever have trouble with missing points, had zero troubles with the merge, would never ever give up my pcoptimum card!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I also would never give up my p.c points -I just redeemed 90.00 the past 3 months and I feel everybit helps .Mind you I still put in for missing points but am rewarded them soon after ,a little bit of work ,but I feel it is one of the best points programs out there .I tend to get a lot of them at 20 times at shoppers and redeem them at fortinos or no frills for groceries
    Lori, Ciel, GoJays and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    I also would never give up my p.c points -I just redeemed 90.00 the past 3 months and I feel everybit helps .Mind you I still put in for missing points but am rewarded them soon after ,a little bit of work ,but I feel it is one of the best points programs out there .I tend to get a lot of them at 20 times at shoppers and redeem them at fortinos or no frills for groceries
    I have over 235,000 points on one card and had almost 100,000 on the other . It's so easy to get a ton of points when you shop strategically and then redeem them the same way. I hope it's around forever. I've occasionally put in for missing points but it doesn't happen often.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Ciel and Valerey like this.

My Tangerine Key is:39626323S1

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've never had an issue with the points program. This past week I tried using my points but their system was down. No big deal, it happens. I told the cashier that I would just use them next time. I got an email a few minutes later congratulating me on using my points on my recent purchase even though I couldn't, however, when I checked the balance it was all still there. It's a great program.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    I've never had an issue with the points program. This past week I tried using my points but their system was down. No big deal, it happens. I told the cashier that I would just use them next time. I got an email a few minutes later congratulating me on using my points on my recent purchase even though I couldn't, however, when I checked the balance it was all still there. It's a great program.

That is what happened to me, but in my case the points had been removed from my account. It took about an hour to have them disappear. My app suddenly had 50000 less points. Had to online chat to get them back.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It pains me to admit it but PC Points is a very good programme. My wife and I have saved literally about $2000 since it began. I would shop at Sobeys by preference but their Airmiles programme is a non-starter.

Having said that, I hate Loblaws. They trick customers every which way. I just received my weekly offers and right at the top it says to get 10,000 points for $30 spent "in store". Read the fine print and it lists all the health stores, not the food store. Click bait, pure and simple!
    Ciel and 4sure5 like this.

Thread Information