User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Homeless People

eri
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rachel1496 View Post
    I keep seeing people talk about homeless people getting welfare. To get assistance you need either a permanent address or a form/note from a landlord stating that when you start getting assistance they will be renting you a room/apartment.

Not all panhandlers are actually homeless. Not all homeless people are panhandlers.
    Indeed...Some people just don't fully understand the issues (all of those found in the debate forum)..

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I'll be honest and say a few years back I lost my job because I was sick. They actually gave me a month off with pay, but after that I still couldn't go back so I had to leave. I then couldn't afford my apartment in downtown Vancouver anymore. I lived for 2 weeks in a hostel for about $200 and tried to find a job during that whole time even though I was still sick I didn't let on. I then had to move for 3 weeks into a homeless shelter before deciding to move to Calgary. I had to live in a homeless shelter. In Calgary I found a job at a hotel after only 2 weeks there. I still couldn't find an apartment that i could afford so for about 6 months lived at the homeless shelter. This homeless shelter served 2500 meals per day, had showers, internet,etc. i made it to work everyday and they knew where I was living. I saw all kinds of people come and go from that place, including people that would sit there and piss themselves while eating dinner. I would say that most of those people would rather not be there, like myself but many had no choice including seniors that had no other option. As far as people living on the street. These are people not used to having social interactions with others considering this shelter housed about 700 people every night, and not want to live by the house rules of a shelter. I would much prefer to see these people that live on the street realize that their just hurting themselves and at the very least move to a shelter, but i can't say I understand why they do what they do so won't kick them while their down either. I know this was posted a while back but i just had to post this.
    Last edited by cabmonk; Wed, Jan 20th, 2010 at 03:32 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information