User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Can anyone give me an idea of the usual rate for a babysitter?

Someone was advertising for a weekend sitter from 7am-3pm Sat and Sun. while she works. When I looked it into to it further she indicated she would pay $60.

She was also expecting toys to be cleaned up and dishes done. I could see doing up dishes for the child and that might have been what she meant but to do dishes for the family plus babysit a 3 yr old- it would seem to me $60 is a bit low.

So what do you charge or pay for 8 hrs of care...if you have someone come in what do you expect?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

My friends/co-workers pay between $10 - $15 per HOUR when they need an occasional sitter. 8 hours of care on the weekend should be at least this rate. I pay a day-home $1400 for 20 days ($700 bi-weekly) for 2 kids. 8 hr/day works out to $8.75/hr and includes meals and driving them around (but one is in kindergarten 1/2 days).

$60 is really not enough money for travel to her house and I wouldn't do family dishes!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

At $8.75 an hr it would be $70 and of course no dishes.

My da. would have done the dishes that the child and she used anyway but to expect it seemed like a lot.

I am a bit sensitive to that as I think people will use teens. Many years ago I had a regular babysitting job on Friday nights for a teacher friend of my aunts. Can you believe I used to get paid $.50 an hr and $1 after midnight.

They did pick me up and drop me off. I hated going there as the kitchen was such a total disaster. In retrospect I think they saved up several days of dishs for me as the sink was full and you could not see the counter.

I know what it is like to work and cook for a family. Our saving grace is that our teens are now responsible for stacking and un stacking the dishwasher.

The other part is the child is 3. It's not like you can leave him unattended so unless he still has naps getting the dishes done would be hard.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I remember someone owning a daycar/ baby sitting business.. ill look thru the posts and if i find it ill past it on here.. my a freidn of mine pay 800 every two weeks..

Mennonite
    Trading Score
    152 (99%)

Wow, I am SERIOUSLY under charging people!!!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

even a few years ago(like 5+) when my kids were still babysat we paid $5 an hour. we never really went out too often maybe 2-3 x a year. and then I had the house cleaned before we left. all they sitter did was put the kids to bed after they had their snack, brushed teeth and a book. we only ever went out for about 2-3 hours. from what I've heard its at minimum wage now.. as most teens who do babysit can earn more at a p/t job rather than sitting.
    for the OP it works out to $30 a day for 8 hours. works out to about $3ish an hour. eesh. no thanks.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I can only tell you what I paid my teenage sitter when we went out for an evening. I paid $20.00/hr, no dishes to clean up(except what they made), the house was cleaned, lots of snacks and I would pick up the sitter and then give him/her a ride home. I also would wait untill the sitter was safely back in their house.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Hello,
    I currently do babysitting on the side to help with the cost of my post secondary. This is what I charge and I never have any problems getting it. I have ads posted on Kijji and people are always asking if I will babysit. I think I charge a reasonable amount.

$10/hour for a baby (1 year and under)
    $12/hour for one or 2 children over 1 year
    $1.00/hour for every child after that.

Considering you are looking after someone children I think its worth it!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

This is a very informative post!

My 13 yr old daughter babysits (basically plays with the kids and puts them to bed, no housekeeping) and she charges:

$6/hr for one child
    $8/hr for two

We drop her off at the house, the parents usually bring her home. Oh and my daughter took the babysitting course, too.

Perhaps she is undercharging???
    I do donations for Brightwood Ranch. They offer summer camps for inner city kids. http://www.hopemission.com/services/brightwood-ranch/

Really looking for Nature's Path cereal, $3 Glad Blue Bags and $3 Purex coupons.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It's bit different putting kids to bed than getting to a house at 7 a.m. as you have the whole day with the child. Some kids at age 3 still nap-others do not. Our da cut out all naps at age 1 whereas our oldest had a long nap in the afternoon til age 5.

She suggested this amount as dd is a teen but that is not the point the way I see it. It's about what she expects.

Thanks for the input...she won't be doing it. One place(Bonzana) advertised that they hire at 14 for hostess...she would get paid min.wage for that and not be up so early.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rewogd View Post
    We decided to pay the same rate as the YMCA, as it is the kids Aunt and she is wonderful with them. I think the Y has gone up even more. But she does so much with the kids and driving them around helps so much. I think day homes are generally a little less expensive, but if you're seriously undercharging, depending what you provide, then maybe it's time for a fee hike.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I have two boys and I pay our teen sitter $10/hr. When I quit work 3 years ago I paid $30/day/child to the dayhome. The premium rate at that time was $50/day/child which included meals. I think it is reasonable to ask a babysitter to clean-up after the child, but not the family. If it is a nanny position then expectations would change.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

We decided to pay the same rate as the YMCA, as it is the kids Aunt and she is wonderful with them. I think the Y has gone up even more. But she does so much with the kids and driving them around helps so much. I think day homes are generally a little less expensive, but if you're seriously undercharging, depending what you provide, then maybe it's time for a fee hike.
    I hope my dayhome didnt see this Lol I cannot afford a fee hike!!! And im getting such a great deal...

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

ooops...Sorry.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It is important to remember this is coming into a home at 7 a.m.

Some day homes and daycares do allow early drop off but I expect you pay more for that.

Plus to pack up a 3 yr old by probably 6:15 a.m. or even 6:30 a.m is a lot of work and effort compared to having someone come into your home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information