User Tag List

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree1514Likes

Thread: December 2019 Frugal Chatter-finding the light among the hustle

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

sassy -- good luck on the talk.

ok. today. plan is sorta made for the week. it will be a busy one. made a chicken pot pie with the rest of the chicken from saturday. so that is ready for supper.

i am considering taking my mom ad bro out next week for a meal . my mom doesnt want anything at her place. . my brother is.. ... well that simply is not a option. and i honestly dont want people at my place. my mom tends to be .. judgemental and critical about housework. and emotionally.. i am not in shape to handle it . so ... dinner out sounds like a ideal option.

so that is what i am thinkiing.

ok. this week. i have a plan . woriking my plan .. and worst comes to worst... i have 4 bottles of red wine.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Went to RCSS on my lunch break hoping to grab some groceries. Nothing shouted out to me and the bananas were way too ripe. So left buying one loaf of bread. I have enough food at home to be creative just need to plan/cook some meals. Better for my mission to use up what we have. We have apples for fruit. Tons of frozen veggies in the freezer. So tomorrow night I will get cooking! For sure homemade mac and cheese. And we have tons of steak so thinking the boys would like hot steak sandwiches with fries as a side one night. I will pick up fresh buns. I will make extra steak and DS can take a steak sandwich to school for lunch with a bunch of other snacks. Will take stuff out of the freezer tonight to thaw.

Domino's added 60 pts to everyone with an account as a Merry Christmas gester. Free medium pizza

I still have tons of stuff to return to Costco. Crazy time of year to do so but I want the credit on my credit card so will make sure to head there this weekend.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

babysat cara today took her out twice as it wasnt that cold ,the second time i was making a tea in the kitchen and out she walks toward me and states "outside nana " and she had put her snow pants on ,zipped them up and her winter jacket (not zipped up)and hat -I was amazed that is pretty darn good for a 2 year old

Did 2 loads of laundry for daughter-in-law and asked her if she was finished xmas shopping "well not for the both of you she said as we dont know what to buy" I am so easy the girls (my daughter and daughter-in-law )know I love baths and the body shop ,I am always sating I am going to value village (a gift card would be great for there)I love puzzles honestly I think I am easy to buy for .

Supper salad and lean cuisine meal as I am feeling tired tonight.
    barbis9, Ciel, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    QOTD( inspired by FBM's comment on laundry). Do you still sort your colours or throw it all in together like me? My sister told me for years you could wash it all together and I resisted until I think we were away on holiday and only doing one load-mixing works for me. I think the newer fabrics tend to be colourfast.
    I mix colours (except for new reds!). Towels and bedding separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    sassy --
    i am considering taking my mom ad bro out next week for a meal . my mom doesnt want anything at her place. . my brother is.. ... well that simply is not a option. and i honestly dont want people at my place. my mom tends to be .. judgemental and critical about housework. and emotionally.. i am not in shape to handle it . so ... dinner out sounds like a ideal option.
    I think that sounds like a good option. I started speaking up to my mom (lovingly). She learned. She was a homemaker. I work full-time. It's generational. She is a suburb child, so I am. I am now living in the country in an older home. She associates this with "having-less-than" living. We embrace a lot of minimalism, she doesn't. Since our recent brush with health issues, she cares less.

For years I was telling mom, December was too much. It fell on deaf ears. After my migraines started, I needed to decrease my load. She saw how everyone's expectations (including her own) weighed on me. This year, I don't have to argue my, no, I am not going to that event.

We had a full week last week with three musical rehearsals and performances at church. Got some great video of the girls.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Had the buildings Christmas party and they ran out of turkey...suppose to make enough for everyone except only made enough for some people who attend normal as usual. I took down the aftermath of the slave labour.

Everyone who usually es whines and complains about everything was at it again. I am sorry but do they always have to ruin every holiday ? Who said it was there job to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ciel likes this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

granger -I agree dec can be too much .In our household we will always celebrate xmas on dec 26 with both my kids and their famililes.My daughter comes into the city on dec 24 to celebrate with her hubby;s side then drives home that night so they can celebrate in Toronto on xmas morning as they have a 3 year old .My son and his wife always go to her parents for supper on xmas day.So my hubby and I are fine with plan .

Plus years ago when my kids were little we had to visit my dear mother then hubby's father and mother the same day (mind you I was working only part -time but I still hated it and nobody would give .

I haven't even done my few xmas cards yet ,since sleeping is hard for me to get a fullnight I am feeling groggy in the afternoon.One thing I am saving on my hydro from doing my laundry before 7.00 a.m my bill is 12.00 cheaper than last month -lol

I may try to get out the door to talize today as if you donate 2 large bags you get 30% off (I have my 2 bags downstairs in the basement just waiting for this promo )
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Oh how I agree with the month of December being a hard one.

For me at work we are year end so there are a lot of projects that need to be completed before we go on shut down and the biggest one is inventory which means we work now a Saturday (used to be the whole weekend). It is the weekend before we shut down so it was last weekend which should be full of Christmas prep but I am at work. Not to mention most years to get projects done before shut down some nights and weekend are required. So far this year knock on wood I have most of done within work hours as long as no curve balls come my way today and tomorrow.

For mom she is in retail and her hours become insane. I think was Friday between 2 and 6:30, 4 of them completed 69 custom framing orders.

Honestly my favourite year was last year, we celebrated Christmas the Friday after Christmas and we opened presents at bros and then went out to dinner.

This year Mom wants to go back to celebrating Christmas Day but since our house is not ready for a dog (my bro now has a dog they do not leave home alone) we are going to Bros. So right now the plan is we will have Breakfast at home then head to bros early after open presents and take dinner with us. Mom wants to make a Turkey but I might see if I can talk her into just making a turkey breast, so much easier to transport.

Christmas Eve is at Dad's and Step Mom takes care of everything, with that being said she does not work and honestly I do not think enough people realize the difference. I am not saying people who stay home are not busy, I know they are but keeping up with a house on top of working is a challenge. I have a lot of people in my life where the wife does not work and it does make a huge difference. I had a conversation with my Cousin's wife who is a stay at home Mom at the time of 2 kids, now 3 and she even admit staying home with 2 kids it is easier to keep up with house work now than working with 1.

In all reality I think we all just need to stop judging each other. Looking through someone's windows or the picture they want you to see will never actually show you what there life is really like. Just saying.
    barbis9, Ciel and lilo0003 like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

how true sassy -your last statement ,looking thru someones windows etc and that is why I do the laundry for my daughter-in-law and last week cleaned her front closet as she works 40 some odd hours a week and her and my son have a very busy social life with all their friends and the little ones

This week when I go on Monday I may clean her bathroom window and vanity just because it will look nice for them .Look I even take clothing to once upon a child for her to get extra money for them (even thou I feel it is a lost cause sometimes ,I wish my dear daughter-in-law wasn't such a shopaholic the girls have way way too much clothing and toys -but again I will not say a thing not my business.
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good morning!

I don't even have the tree up yet Hopefully tonight if not then tomorrow night for sure. Actually yeah tomorrow night. DS works tonight and I want him to be a part of it. So I will work on having the family room ready for the tree, get all the laundry done and wrap ALL of the gifts! That is my goal tonight. I am to the point that it will all get done when it gets done! It always works out so no point in stressing about it.

We went for a nice walk last night after dinner. I bundled up nice and cozy so no complaints that it was too cold. The fresh air was wonderful.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Tue, Dec 17th, 2019 at 12:49 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

RE: Christmas. My sister and BIL have hosted a huge dinner Christmas Eve for years. (usually 35+ people) It was difficult when the kids were younger because I traditionally liked to be home Christmas Eve but now it works for us. We then get together after Christmas day to have a small dinner and open gifts together. I have never been set with "it has to happen Dec 25th" My mother was a nurse so growing up I spent many Dec 25th days with my friends family.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I was asked at the hair place if I'm ready for Christmas and I replied we celebrate next month. Plus need to see what Mom says about it. My hair is looking shorter than I wanted but give it two months, and the length will be perfect (must remember to ask for cut 1" longer than I want as dry hair tends to curl under). Gave a tip.

Got the last two jars of the lovely fancy olives at Longos (they were on sale!!) and few other items. Forgot to look for millet there.

Today, I stopped in at Fortinos and bought a brown rice/wild rice blend, could not find millet except in a T&T 10 multigrain rice blend and nope, that won't suit. Found brown lentils (thanks, NuPak) and some PC sparkling juice. Plan is to make one of the veggie meal recipes I found yesterday. Will MacGyver or substitute some ingredients as I was not ready to spend $8.49 for a jar of smoked paprika and the snow today means I won't venture to Sobey's to use my 20% off one McCormick's spice offer either. Besides, as I was leaving Fortinos, I experienced a burning feeling right under my left foot's main joint-think there may be a sharp salt piece or stone causing it. Did that ever spook me, given how I rely on walking to get around.

While I had put containers for today's collection on the driveway (at one side!) last night, sibling decided to move the containers onto the road into puddles this morning. Which meant I had to step into the puddles to get one of the containers---he's going to get some attitude today, as his vehicle is not as wide as the driveway (some nerve to leave me to tote everything out alone anyway).

Anyone wanting to win some bling-BT Toronto has Pandora items for today's giveaway. See the Contest subforum.
    barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well i decided to not go out to talize today always another day this week ,as i had a few stomach cramps

So off to the library just now for my movie holds and one book -lol
    barbis9, Ciel and lilo0003 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Some of the upcoming grocery flyers for Ontario have been posted. Some good deals. We need fresh fruit and veggies!! Will have to PM at No Frills or RCSS and redeem points since the sales seem to be better elsewhere. I will write out a little list tomorrow.

Tonight I multi-task getting the stuff done around the house as well try and prep some food for my youngest mostly. The oldest hasn't been home much lately.. busy busy! I lent my crockpot out so I need to get that back!
    Ciel and lilo0003 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Good morning Everyone,
    We are going shopping tonight after work, I think we will go to Costco and whatever we cannot get at Costco will determine where else we need to go. I need to re stock on some spices now that most of my Christmas cooking is done. I still need to make:
    Peach Butter
    Apple Butter
    Chocolate Butter
    Honey Cinnamon Butter

The last 2 are actually butter based and do not involve any cooking so I will probably do those one night after work. I might also if I get home on time tomorrow make the Peach Butter, I cheated and bought frozen peaches which will take a little longer to cook down but way less time on the prep as there will be no peeling and chopping.

I was cleaning up the stock pile on the weekend and discovered we are running low on a few things, I need to watch for Salsa to go on sale and we need more Maple Syrup. The Maple Syrup kind of annoyed me as obviously someone has been using it and not telling me as we have 4 bottles and when I went down yesterday we only had 1 left which has now been opened. Another pet peeve of mine, I do not care if you use or eat it, but let me know as literally a couple weeks ago Maple Syrup was on sale and I when I saw it went no we do not need any we still have tons in the basement.

I am thinking over Shut down I might go down and reorganize a bit. I notice ever year some of our food choices change a bit, some things we eat less of, other things become a bigger part of our diet so I will reorganize based on this as some sections are over flowing right now. Good news is from what I can see other than a few things maybe 5 things (2 cans of evaporated milk, 2 cans of eagle brand and there was 1 other thing I saw) there is not a lot that expired on us.

I really want to try to get a bunch of meal prep done over shut down so if something like last night happen with my legs there is something quick and easy I can pull out and just heat up.

Good news is my legs are not really hurting today but I am being careful, trying now to walk around too much as we have to go out tonight and I do not want to irritate them.

Alright well time to get back to work as I need to leave early for an offsite meeting. Have a wonderful day everyone.
    You know I use to stock up tons then I found we would just use more of it because it was available. Since I stopped buying stuff that wasn't the best for us I find our meals are much better and I am not spending as much money. We were out of cheese for a bit so I didn't plan meals with cheese. Wasn't really a big deal. I just make due with what we have and it all works out.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Kitchen is cleaned. Laundry on the go. 1st load in dryer and stuff that doesn't go in dryer is hanging to dry. And load in washer. Wrapped all the boys Christmas gifts. Happy that is done. Will wrap what I have now for my niece and mom. Decided not to cook up food tonight since I wanted to get this stuff done I made DS a few grilled cheese before driving him to work. I should eat soon too.
    Ciel, lilo0003 and SassyAshley like this.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information