User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Just wondering your opinions on paying for a newspaper subscription just for the inserts?!?!? Is it crazy?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I did that when the journal was having a sale. I liked getting them but I found I dont really like the journal and my delivery guy wouldnt bring them on some days so after the promotion I cancelled and they still charged my account and customer service hours are horrible between 8 am and 12 pm but thats just my experience.... Maybe if it was the sun I find they are easier to read but I can never find promotions for them

Rika
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

If that is the only reason to get the paper and not to read the news then I think you could trade to get inserts

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I like the journal, the sun is much easier to read but I find they have WAY too many car ads!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I know you can get the newspaper cheap... but it's probly just worth the effort to trade if you are never going to do anything else with the paper. No guarentee the inserts will save you enough to pay for the subscription, let alone save you extra. If it's about being easier, isn't just easier to not use the coupons, than pay to get them?

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I wouldn't. I subscribed to the National Post when it was free and all I got was a couple Smart Source inserts. No Red Plum or anything. No guarantee you will even get inserts, so not worth it. People on here always have inserts to trade/give away, just watch the board

Mrs.Wobie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

i subscribed to the journal during a promotion in November just for the inserts, but i have only every received a completed paper a handful of times. most sections of my paper are MIA most days, and have never received any flyers in it at all. i have called several times to complain about this and everytime im told i dont have an account with them, yet i get a paper daily and the journal takes money out of my account every month. WORST customer service i have ever experienced...cant cancel because i "dont have an account", yet they get their money on time every month.....such BS

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Unless you actually read the newspaper, don't bother. We get the Edmonton Journal and haven't received a coupon insert in months!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

D/h is hooked into reading the paper in the morning but often I do not have time.

I would not pay for inserts which is really what you are doing. Even if you get the inserts how many of the items with coupons are there? Inserts seem to have less good coupons these days.

If you are into contesting occasionally both the journal and the sun have paper ballot contests but you can buy a couple of papers for those.

Quite often coffee shops have the paper. A cup of coffee is cheaper than a subscription plus you get the coffee and a chance to look over the paper. Or you could find a neighbour that subscribes.

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by heather11 View Post
    i subscribed to the journal during a promotion in November just for the inserts, but i have only every received a completed paper a handful of times. most sections of my paper are MIA most days, and have never received any flyers in it at all. i have called several times to complain about this and everytime im told i dont have an account with them, yet i get a paper daily and the journal takes money out of my account every month. WORST customer service i have ever experienced...cant cancel because i "dont have an account", yet they get their money on time every month.....such BS

That is ridiculous!!! How DARE they take money out of your account each month and claim that you don`t have an account. Unless its in your husband`s or parents`name or somethingÉ

If I were you, I would tell the bank to put a stop payment on these monthly withdrawals, and then when the Journal calls to ask why you are not paying, cancel whatever account they are calling about. Also call them up and tell them that if they don`t stop withdrawing the amounts immediately, you will go to BBB or the Troubleshooter. Also, ask to speak to the supervisor. Sometimes they have your account ID as your telephone number.

I have a subscription with the Journal. Currently they have a promotion for $14.99 for the first 2 months, then 19.99 for the next two months and 21.99 for the last 2 months in a 6 month term. Inserts are hit and miss. Not impressed, but I do read the paper.

I subscribe to the SUN for SUNDAY papers only. It was fairly cheap. About 50 cents a paper.... I don`t read the paper much, but there is always a whodunit type of story I read, I read the comics, and sis gets the TV times. Inserts are more regular in the Sun - not always there, but on most occassions - the inserts are in...

Mrs.Wobie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

i should make a phone call to BBB, called again last week to try and cancel my subscription, and again was told that there isnt an account in my name, yet magically the next day(or since) my paper never came???? how can there not be an account under my name, but they get my money and i get a paper? i wanted to cancel 2 months ago but they keep giving me this run around. should i try and get them to refund my money for those two months as i wanted to cancel but was told i couldnt cancel when there isnt an account?? so frustrating,

Quote Originally Posted by mhk View Post
    That is ridiculous!!! How DARE they take money out of your account each month and claim that you don`t have an account. Unless its in your husband`s or parents`name or somethingÉ

If I were you, I would tell the bank to put a stop payment on these monthly withdrawals, and then when the Journal calls to ask why you are not paying, cancel whatever account they are calling about. Also call them up and tell them that if they don`t stop withdrawing the amounts immediately, you will go to BBB or the Troubleshooter. Also, ask to speak to the supervisor. Sometimes they have your account ID as your telephone number.

I have a subscription with the Journal. Currently they have a promotion for $14.99 for the first 2 months, then 19.99 for the next two months and 21.99 for the last 2 months in a 6 month term. Inserts are hit and miss. Not impressed, but I do read the paper.

I subscribe to the SUN for SUNDAY papers only. It was fairly cheap. About 50 cents a paper.... I don`t read the paper much, but there is always a whodunit type of story I read, I read the comics, and sis gets the TV times. Inserts are more regular in the Sun - not always there, but on most occassions - the inserts are in...

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I love the Sunday paper! How much is it for just Sundays?

Thread Information