User Tag List

Trading Score
    154 (100%)

H!

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for curry powder brands?

I moved recently and need to replace all my spices....I used to buy curry powder in bulk and it was ok, but I'm just wondering if anyone has found any really great ones? I LOVE trying Thai and Indian dishes, but can never seem to create anything even close to traditional or even restaurant-style Indian or Thai Dishes at home. Help!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    LOVE to trade

Try TreasureTrooper and receive a free $5 sign-up bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    269 (100%)

Hi,

I'm no expert, but love Indian & Thai dishes too.

If you are buying bulk, it could be stale. Always make sure you "cook" the powder to wake up the spices. I have used both store bought & bulk - and they seem fine, but I usually use more than a recipe calls for - up to double the amount. I also use Patak's curry paste and like it.

Having said that - curry is not a spice, but rather a blend of spices. You can make your own - just google it. You can make up small batches to see which one you like.

For Thai dishes I usually use Mae-Ploy curry paste - yellow, green, red dependent on your dish. I get these at Asian grocery stores. You can also make your own, but a bit more difficult.

Hope that helps, now I'm craving curry. LOL

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I'm another who uses Patak's and Mae-Ploy sauces. But I buy my spices from Asian shops as they tend to be fresher, cheaper and available in several sizes.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    154 (100%)

Great Suggestions! Thanks guys I think I will go see if I can find an Asian shop in my area. I would save so much $$ if I could create some half-decent thai or indian dishes at home!

I did try the Hansells Tom Yum Thai Soup last night (....BOGO coupon is on facebook) and I have to say it was pretty amazing.... Probably the best already pepared thai soup I've tried so far!! If I could find more convince foods that were this good that would work too!
    I think I will create a new thread for it!
    LOVE to trade

Try TreasureTrooper and receive a free $5 sign-up bonus

Thread Information