User Tag List

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree1333Likes

Thread: January 2020 Frugal Chatter

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Frugalbigmama Check if you can carry fresh fruit (maybe dried fruit snacks might be permissible) via the customs authority website of your destination country. You'd be surprised how strong the response is when customs agents find agricultural products (even if a passenger takes an apple from a plane meal but lands in a country other than the originating country (for flight)) that have not been declared.

Tim Horton's sent our home a card of coupon offers (a week ago?)and I'm about to use the $3.49 offer for 6 classic or specialty doughnuts. Sibling must have seen the card in the mail when he brought it in and by chance I saw the coupons! Doughnuts and tea will make for a good afternoon break, prior to more paper recycling and shredding.

Realized that a new animated movie is playing in Oakville for four days this week. Found out that Oakville Transit wants $4 cash fare per ride! Movie theatre would want $13.99 plus HST. Maybe I'll wait for the DVD to surface in a few months and have popcorn at home.
    ROMEO, lilo0003 and SassyAshley like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @Frugalbigmama Check if you can carry fresh fruit (maybe dried fruit snacks might be permissible) via the customs authority website of your destination country. You'd be surprised how strong the response is when customs agents find agricultural products (even if a passenger takes an apple from a plane meal but lands in a country other than the originating country (for flight)) that have not been declared.

Tim Horton's sent our home a card of coupon offers (a week ago?)and I'm about to use the $3.49 offer for 6 classic or specialty doughnuts. Sibling must have seen the card in the mail when he brought it in and by chance I saw the coupons! Doughnuts and tea will make for a good afternoon break, prior to more paper recycling and shredding.

Realized that a new animated movie is playing in Oakville for four days this week. Found out that Oakville Transit wants $4 cash fare per ride! Movie theatre would want $13.99 plus HST. Maybe I'll wait for the DVD to surface in a few months and have popcorn at home.
    No Fruit/meat etc is frowned on. Safe with chips
    ROMEO, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

afternoon -babysat cara tody took her for a nice 30 minute walk ,when she slept for 2 hours caught up on my daughter-in-laws laundry ,plus put more garbage out ,took a bag home it was full of papers /colouring books half full .We are allowed one garbage bag and my dear son always has a small bag left over due to diapers so I sometimes bring it home as hubby and I only have one white kitchen bag in our garbage each week -I wish they would go to by-weekly and save some tax money but council voted not for it.

I dont mind having half full colouring books ,I like to have a variety of crafts for when the grandkids come to my house.

Supper I leftover chicken toasted on rye bread for me and fried eggs sandwich for hubby .
    ROMEO, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

I received my weighted blanket today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ROMEO, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greentires4me View Post
    I received my weighted blanket today.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hope it helps. my kids each have one. they like them
    ROMEO, Ciel, Granger and 1 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Morning!

I wrote out a to do list for DS that I will give him when I pick him up after his exam and drop him at home. He is having a bunch of friends sleep over tonight so the timing is perfect

I have so much laundry and cleaning to do tonight! Need to pull some stuff from the freezer and get cooking too. Fridge is empty but we can totally make do. Sometimes its good to live this way so it forces you to use up what you already have. I may just grab a loaf of bread on my way home tonight but really not much else.
    Giseledta, Ciel and GoodBoy like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    afternoon -babysat cara tody took her for a nice 30 minute walk ,when she slept for 2 hours caught up on my daughter-in-laws laundry ,plus put more garbage out ,took a bag home it was full of papers /colouring books half full .We are allowed one garbage bag and my dear son always has a small bag left over due to diapers so I sometimes bring it home as hubby and I only have one white kitchen bag in our garbage each week -I wish they would go to by-weekly and save some tax money but council voted not for it.

I dont mind having half full colouring books ,I like to have a variety of crafts for when the grandkids come to my house.

Supper I leftover chicken toasted on rye bread for me and fried eggs sandwich for hubby .
    @coupon girl Your son or daughter-in-law can get trash tags (extra 14 from municipal centre on top of the 12 mailed out last year) plus can apply for extra tags due to having young children using diapers (Special Consideration Link on the Garbage & Recycling page) . City staff will review request and mail out extra tags--but your relatives might wish to wait until April to apply for the extra tags when the new fiscal year /trash year begins. I applied in late 2018 because of my late father's use of disposable products added at least one garbage bag per week to our usual household trash.
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Jan 28th, 2020 at 11:32 AM.
    Giseledta and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I am officially one year older than Baby Yoda (The Child on The Mandalorian is said to be 50 yr old). Where did the past year go? I still remember being worried about turning 40 (that was 11 yrs ago today). Mind is still wrapping around the new age-4 more years until I qualify for the senior's day discount at Rexall! Today's afternoon plan is to see what birthday freebies can be collected and pop over to the Mission Thrift store to see what new pants or shirts might await me.

In other news, I finally got my tax return done (envelope & pages =45g so $1.38 postage! had to photocopy one more form today). May have to file a T1 Adj form later to adjust my 2019 donations being carried forward-I noticed in the 2019 tax guide that when a ON taxpayer gives a tax refund to the Ontario Opportunities Fund (as I did for the 2018 tax year), the government will issue a receipt. I have to check to see if I got it last year after the Notice of Assessment or if it shows up by early March. This year, my refund is heading to my parent's hands.

Speaking of seniors, in one case you can be 64 yr of age to claim the Ontario senior's property tax grant but you have to be 65 yr of age to claim any eligible senior's public transit amounts. Why not have the same age for both categories, Ontario?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

ceil -yes my son and i know you can get extra tags ,I also give him a few of my tags if I don't use them up in the year.They do not qualify for extra kids wearing diapers as they only have one in diapers (I believe it is if you have 2 or 3 in diapers )

The city does give extra consideration but you must apply each year ,as I applied when my dear mom had adult diapers and sometimes I had 2 bags out .

Mind you sometimes i don't mind bringing a regular kitchen bag home from my sons (no dirty diapers thou,they are in a pail in garage ,as my garbage is so light on a windy day it could blow away .

Do you know what irks me is the people in my son's town who put out more bags than one without tags and I see it when I walk cara for her 30 minute walk each week .In my neighbourhood the personal would not take the extra bag without a tag just leave it ,not in my son's town .My beef for the day.
    Giseledta, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I have noticed that any condo complex (strata or townhouse) occupants seem to have no limit to the number of containers of trash. The condo strata-the one in town whenever a unit comes up for sale seems to generate fluorescent tubes (crew tags them as no-nos for collection) in the trash, small furnishings (I recently missed out on a magazine rack because I had errands, otherwise I would have lugged it home) and more-always has so many containers (though the strata has three wings, not just the main one I see from the sidewalk). I feel that single residential homes on own lots have more garbage restrictions than townhouse surveys or even apartment buildings when it comes to the amount of stuff put out for collection. Local businesses also seem to have an unlimited amount of trash bags too-all of this stuff is heading to our city's one landfill (I cannot wait for the new expiry date on the landfill because Hamilton will need a new one).

Cardboard boxes-I can tell when businesses and residents get new computers or tvs-the boxes are seldom cut down to the regulation size for recycling.
    Giseledta and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sobey's stores will stop carrying those 5 cent plastic bags in three days' time. Are SCers ready for the bagging and bundling? I simply have to remember to have an extra tote in my daily tote. Each tote has different carrying capacity. I'd like to add one of the nylon Lee Valley shopping bags (that fold up into a pocket) but I'd have to plan a trip for that purchase.

Wishing Happy Birthdays to the other members celebrating this week or in early Feb: @Andit @Natalka @walkonby
    Giseledta and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Shoppers Photo is running another 25% off photo prints offer for wallet, square, 4x6, 5x7, & 8x10 prints only until Feb. 7, 2020.

I mentioned the photo kiosk issue in a recent receipt survey I did for Shoppers-that I have missed a couple of photo promotions due to kiosk not working.
    Giseledta likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

morning all.
    we now have annoucments that Tues and thursday fo r school strike. public and catholic . i am waiting on the high school peeps to join on the band wagon.... i am pretty sure the unions will do a show of support.

ok. chicken, cheese potatoes, peas for supper. hopefully be done about 5 pm. and get a good 45 min in on the family room.
    oldest is home for supper. youngest is at a friends.
    paid hydro and dog tags today. waiting on union gas.
    i have a few things i want to post for sale. so i shold get to that as well.
    Ciel, coupon girl and SassyAshley like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

@Ciel - thanks so much! Had a lovely birthday celebration with my husband and son yesterday.

I haven't been posting here, because I have not been shopping, nor done anything thrifty!
    My health is not great, and I have poor mobility. I have had some setbacks, but do what I can - and a little bit more!

Take care, everyone!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    morning all.
    we now have annoucments that Tues and thursday fo r school strike. public and catholic . i am waiting on the high school peeps to join on the band wagon.... i am pretty sure the unions will do a show of support.

ok. chicken, cheese potatoes, peas for supper. hopefully be done about 5 pm. and get a good 45 min in on the family room.
    oldest is home for supper. youngest is at a friends.
    paid hydro and dog tags today. waiting on union gas.
    i have a few things i want to post for sale. so i shold get to that as well.
    There was a breaking post on Twitter that the EFTO union is going back to the negotiating table with the Ontario government (guess the money per day to parents was not enough to tame the parental upset over lost school days and parents' lost wages).
    I recently learned that in Ontario, there are municipalities that restrict the number of daycare spots in private daycares due to the past ON government's focus on daycares at schools. I bet your parents are thankful they have their kids at your daycare, @Giseledta !

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information