User Tag List

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree1843Likes

Thread: March 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@gisel dta its the right thing to do but it sucks, fingers crossed for you and your family.

Crazy times for sure. I see lots of savings in our future as I will not be stocking up and we will only buy what is needed. I did pull a big bag of stuff from my stockpile and I will drop it off at the food bank in the morning. My niece is very impacted because she works retail and would never have money to stock up very much. In addition her town has been out of bread/milk for days. So today I sent her money (this is where technology is amazing) so she and her brother can go get groceries and I said if they still have a hard time finding stuff I will drive food up on the on the weekend. It about 5 hours round trip but hey its not like I have other plans. I am actually looking forward to how much I will thin out the pantry and freezer. I could not get frozen pizza for DS so I bought extra cheese and prosciutto. When I told him I had to do this instead, he was so funny because he was like good to see you have your priorities straight, love that kid. Pizza dough is easy to make (he makes it) and his brother makes the sauce.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

ok.. my daycare is shut down. sigh. that was hard.
    ok.. my plan for the next 3 days i want to clean and organise my basement.. aka where i hide everything daycare realted so it doesnt take over more of the house.. seriouslly. i have alot. but.. ifi know what i have .. i can better plan for the next few months and not buy anything.. as this is gonna suck.
    i want to listen to the PM stuff tomorrow.. i heard it was going to be about money.. and the plan for that.. so ya know...
    go for a walk ( keep up my exersise.. ) build a couple garden beds. cause if you think the food issues are going to go away.. ya wrong. i expect us to feel it in the pocket book for many months....
    ROMEO, Angela273, barbis9 and 2 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

lilo -how nice of you to help out your niece,but then again you are a nice person .

My legs are still sore and I think it was from my daughter's stairs ,so no walking for me today .I imagine I wont hear from my daughter as much as she is working from home with her hubby and a 3 year old (that is an only child) so I imagine they may work in the evenings too to put a full day in .

I had a friend call today I haven't heard from since feb,so that was nice.My dear brother who is 72 called from London,ont and said his age 18 and up grandkids said "papa don't go out whatever you need we will get for you " as my sister in -law is 62 but doesn't drive ,at least she can walk 13 minutes to a giant tiger .So I thought that was nice to hear .

Started a 500 piece puzzle of boat oars(it is a boring picture but hey it will do ) as I decided to not buy a book from indigo today as hubby has to finish sanding over the dining room table .His back was sore today ,so it will wait
    Giseledta, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@coupon girl . My oldest (21) called me today worried about his grandmother. He is worried he is around the wrg people and brings it back to me and i give it to her. I told him i am staying away from her for 2 weeks. And he wants her to stay home safe. He is so stressed about all this.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Tue, Mar 17th, 2020 at 09:09 PM.
    Giseledta and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

reminds me of this recent vid i saw - Mel Brooks' son talking about social distancing
    https://twitter.com/maxbrooksauthor/...24352305303552

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    @coupon girl. My oldest (21) called me today worried about his grandmother. He is worried he is around the wrg people and brings it back to me and i give it to her. I told him i am staying away from her for 2 weeks. And he wants her to stay home safe. He is so stressed about all this.
    Giseledta, coupon girl and GoodBoy like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

@Angela273 our board is paying occasional teachers at least for the two weeks I am off. It is an average of their days worked per week over the last month. They are doing the same for our hourly staff, EAs and ECEs. We were told we would be off on Thursday of last week and this information just came out yesterday. Don't give up hope, your union will look to what others are doing.
    @giseldta I hope anyone with stable income continues to pay you or helps somehow. I am paying my cleaner. I also paid my daycare provider when she went off on medical last year (even though she refunded me the money I wrote her a new check with the amount refunded as a gift). Regardless I know you will use your money savviness. I'm still hurting from the strike days.

Today we got mentally organized for the weeks to come. We have a loose schedule now to follow. I certainly have to think through change and unexpectedness. I've digested, accepted and moving on!

Highlights from today included green pancakes, a hike at a local park (there were only two other people walking dogs other than us as the trail is not well known), driving around and looking for shamrocks in people's windows (a community social distancing scavenger hunt) and singing O'Canada live for our family and friends on Facebook.

Tomorrow is Wednesday. I am watching Ontario's number of new cases of Co-Vid19. Sun 43, Mon 32, Tues 13. I am praying they continue to stay low. Our premier called a state of emergency in the province today. Countrywide numbers are increasing still so I expect to hear state of emergency called during tomorrow's Trudeau address.
    Last edited by Granger; Tue, Mar 17th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

morning -popped over to sobeys at 7.00 a.m just as they opened ,I am on the hunt for chicken breasts .Spent 60 bucks no chicken all red meat on the shelves (and no I am not running store to store looking for it .I am not a person who deals with anxiety ,but these days I do have a little .I wore some gloves also,thin winter ones.This is what I saw in the store
    -not much bread ,so I bought 2 fresh loaves (one to take to my son's )
    -got the last crème for hubby's coffee 2.99-.50cpn=2.49 tall one
    -none of the butter as it was on sale
    -no sugar and I am down to half a bag ,so grabbed a smaller 900 g granulated sugar 1.79 last one if my hubby doesnt have sugar ,he may get cranky-lol
    -no paper products still and a sign limit 1 per family (thank fully I don't need any)
    -oh and no fresh lettuce ,boston lettuce either so bought a spring mix salad in container 3.99
    -the chip isle had hardly any but I bought 2 cans pringles 1.99 each
    -I was able to get a bag of apples 4.99 ,as they didn't have any on sat
    -and pears I got 3 as I love pears and they were out the other day

I know I can go to no frills for a bit cheaper groceries ,but I don't want to be with the masses of people .I guess this is a sign of our future for awhile ,hit and miss .
    Last edited by coupon girl; Wed, Mar 18th, 2020 at 08:45 AM.
    Giseledta, ROMEO and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Good morning all.

I am planing to eat from the Freezer we are not big meat eaters more seafood and Vegetable. I also have my DDs who are Vegetarian one eat seafood and the others no meat or seafood. I would be buying fresh fruits and vegetables . Will go out On Monday for these items since I have enough to last me until then. I am also happy that I don’t need any paper products . I am happy to be a part of this community that whenever a deal had arise people share and I copy there deals so I will be good for a while.

My DH is still working . this time of the year usually be his slowest time. But with the Covid 19 Virus happening his company has been busy since the make cleaning products and Hand sanitizer and other stuff. Myself and DDs keep telling him he needs to try and so social distancing
    Giseledta, ROMEO, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced a lot of money.
    - no 1wk waiting period for EI
    - some type of income supplement for people who do not qualify for EI.
    - additional money for businesses
    - increased GST cheques
    - increased Child Tax Benefits

edit:
    A massive $82B aid package in response to the COVID-19 pandemic includes:
    • Temporarily boosting Canada Child Benefit payments.
    • A new Emergency Care Benefit of up to $900 biweekly.
    • A six-month, interest-free reprieve on student loan payments.
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Mar 18th, 2020 at 01:53 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Hubby and I went to visit granddaughter's today ,we took them for a 25 minute walk around there area .Ashlyn said "no playground cara as there may be conavirus there" then she said nana I am a little nervous about conavirus -ahh and she is 6 years old.We found a caterpillar on the way home on the sidewalk ,so that was exciting for the girls .

On the way home I asked hubby to stop at freshco as I wanted to look for chicken -yes got a pkg of chicken strips 11.00(only 2 left) and I just bought the one ,I see they had a limit of 3 on the eggs I only bought 1 and I found flour 5.37 not the price we smartcanucker s are use to but I love making muffins for hubby and I .
    Giseledta, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I went on a bread hunt. No Italiano that is on sale at GT (none at GT or Superstore) Settled on a loaf of Italian in store baked sliced for $1.

Made bacon and eggs for lunch with bread from freezer (English muffin from freezer for DS)

Prepared my roastbeef for the oven. DS will pop it in at 330pm today. I will make the sides when I get home from work.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

DH and I braved Costco this a.m. and that was quite the experience. Had to line up outside for a cart, the handle was sanitized, then we all filed in in an orderly line supposedly keeping the 2 metre distance. They counted us all coming in and leaving and there was hand sanitizer to clean you hands as you left and you had to hold up your bill and show them at the exit-i.e. they did not want to touch it. I felt very under dressed as many people had masks and the staff had gloves.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Fresh bread- try small local bakeries... and freeze a few loafs.

Granger - my parents are not paying me for the down time.

ok. today.. sigh..

made it to the grocery store for 8 am .. got lettucem and bananas . and 2 bagels... the bagels oy. felt like a win!!!

the listof what the store of is out of is lenghy.
    but .. i have been frugal a long time.. and my pantry is solid.

i am highly concerned about .. how long this is going to be for... honestly.. having a bit of a panic attact.

i will call teh bank about what they are offering bank wise..
    EI - not eligible... CTC.. youngest is 17 so i dont expect the bump in that.. as i suspect they w ould give that to the younger kids as they need it for childcare. ect. GST 0 dont get it.

my best hope is this... For Canadians who lose their jobs or face reduced hours as a result of COVID’s impact, the Government is:
    • Introducing an Emergency Support Benefit delivered through the CRA to provide up to $5.0 billion in support to workers who are not eligible for EI and who are facing unemployment.

however.. honestly.. i would rather be working... i strongly suspect i will be down till May.. really really hope not.. like .. really hope not.

lifeis going to get interesting.

thats my pitty post forthe day.
    i am going to head outside... and start to build my garden boxes. be proactive. make something good happen today.
    Last edited by Giseledta; Wed, Mar 18th, 2020 at 03:04 PM.
    or Swagbucks
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have officially been moved to working from home. This was a hard one for us, as most of you know my family owns the company I work for and normally the way the company is run is the family leads by example. Well initially that was the stand point we took but a number of staff had actually voiced that they would prefer the opposite. If we are moving staff to work at home, since all members of the family and even upper management are able to work from home they feel we should be. So as of noon today, I am working from home and there is no timeline for us to return to work.

It was odd leaving work as I mean I travel for work but since they do not know how long this will last we were asked to basically pack up our offices and take everything with us in case we need it. I was even told to take my monitors with us, so I am now setting up on the dinning room table and turning our dinning room into a home office.

Time for a meeting, online of course no contact. Have a great day everyone.
    Giseledta and coupon girl like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

my husband is working from home 3 days and going into the office 1 day. they are rotating people.

my hint.. if you are on a video call.. look at what the person can see that is behind you......

i spent part ofthe am rearranging the family room where his desk is.... i may see if i can put up a screen ... or rotate his desk.........
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I have officially been moved to working from home. This was a hard one for us, as most of you know my family owns the company I work for and normally the way the company is run is the family leads by example. Well initially that was the stand point we took but a number of staff had actually voiced that they would prefer the opposite. If we are moving staff to work at home, since all members of the family and even upper management are able to work from home they feel we should be. So as of noon today, I am working from home and there is no timeline for us to return to work.

It was odd leaving work as I mean I travel for work but since they do not know how long this will last we were asked to basically pack up our offices and take everything with us in case we need it. I was even told to take my monitors with us, so I am now setting up on the dinning room table and turning our dinning room into a home office.

Time for a meeting, online of course no contact. Have a great day everyone.
    Angela273, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.
    or Swagbucks

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread Information