User Tag List

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree1843Likes

Thread: March 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Hi friends!

I am enjoying seeing what everyone is up to. I had my first online staff meeting today (went well). We have some items to accomplish next week and will be trained more for eLearning. I think the powers that be needed two weeks to get organized. I expect plans to be announced by Premier early next week, but we have not heard the plans yet. We hear with the public. Fortunately, I have already done a lot on my online classroom this year so my curve to learn won't be too steep. I feel bad for some others who are dealing with a bit more and have a lot of learning to do. As far as I can see, there is not a plan if we become unwell...but maybe I missed that? I don't think a supply teacher can take on an online class.

My dad popped by and stood outside with a sign that says "Grandpa loves you." So cute. We opened the window to chat (bungalow). My daughter's new tablet crashed yesterday. ?!?! So we made the decision to brave the return to Costco as she has a learning disability and I had just trained her to scan a worksheet into a PDF so she can edit on the tablet and save to Google. It was the first time I have seen her not complain about work like that.

DH said Costco was very safe and practising good safety measures. Especially since he didn't need a cart. He only did the exchange. It was needed, especially with potential eLearning coming out. I need my laptop (9 years old!) for my work.

Our school board will be loaning devices and paying for internet if families need. I heard this through the news so don't know the accuracy, BUT our director said that things are going to messy in his video message to us, but we as a board are up for supporting learning. It takes a pandemic to get the e-training we all desperately want and need.

I saw early evidence that the curve could be flattening (in Ontario) but each day gives vital info about the rate of spread and there is still time for a spike.

Movie and (oven) pizza now. Yum.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@SassyAshley I totally get it, I am grateful that I am still working but my days are 10 hrs long. The kids do stay out of the way and I warn everyone if I am on a video call. DH and I trade for the office but I actually like working at the island because I have a great view of the yard. We are all pretty calm at work with people walking by the camera. So much so we usually let the kids stop to say hi. Saturday will be my day for groceries. I refuse to do the pick up or online. Others need it more than I do. This will be my 1st trip to RCSS since 5his all started and my PCO points are suffering. I will go to Costco at some point because I need propane but plan to wait until it’s a significant list of stuff. So far I am hearing good things about Costco and the protective they are taking.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    I have mixed emotions, part of me is like ok, if I can even just grocery shop again things will feel kind of normal again, but on the flip side grocery shopping makes me anxious. I think my biggest issue is right now we have no confirmed cases in our town and I feel it is giving people a false sense of security. Some of our grocery stores have the policies we are all hearing about posted but it is being confirmed staff are not following it, as I said most say it is not here and we are over reacting. As well people here really do not get social distancing. So far we are still good on food and won't need to shop for about a week but being a planner I am already trying to think ahead.

As well sis messaged last night, her team at work is primarily located in the US and have been ordered back to work as of April 9th. Everyone is to be back in the office and they will no longer support staff working from home. Good news is since Sis is in Canada they are not forcing her back but this concerns me. I am really hoping the government extends non-essentials being closed as right now management is telling staff at Mom's work they are expected to return to work April 8th as per head office. I really do not want her back at work, it really concerns me.

Bro's gf is a teacher but she works for a private school so they return to work on Monday via online learning. One thing bro said in our meeting yesterday was they are taking Wednesdays off and calling ti wellness Wednesdays to give everyone (staff and students) a break.

Okay, I have some stuff I need to use up and I really do not want to throw out so time to get baking. Not sure it is such a good idea to have this many baked goods in the house when we are both home but I would prefer to use the stuff up vs throwing it out. Not to mention cooking/baking and cleaning calm my anxiety so going to see if this helps.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Sassy- my mayor and dep mayor actually put out a message saying... hey... we have been getting messages saying people are not taking social distanceing serious...
    mayor
    Took many calls today from people who are upset about other people’s behaviour....the sad thing is that most of the people who I talked to were concerned because they were immune compromised and they were feeling like no one cared about them.....important to recognize the importance of physical distancing

dep mayor

Well, after seeing pictures of a party happening on the front yard of a ###### home (because social distancing takes a break on Friday nights?), and kids on the skate park tonight... I’m posting this again.
    Our community has so many healthcare workers that are showing up to work at hospitals risking their lives, leaving their homes to care for those infected with COVID-19. Our first responders put their lives at risk every time they respond to a call. Our friends and family who own businesses in our community are stepping up to go the extra mile to keep everyone safe. We also have friends and family who have had to close their businesses and risk their livelihoods to stop the spread. We have residents in our community who are elderly, have asthma like my son, or other conditions that leave their immune systems comprised to fight infections like COVID-19. We all have a part to play to keep everyone in our community safe. Please, please, please exercise physical distancing to keep everyone safe. The better we can do this, the shorter it will last!!!!
    Update: for more information on why the next 2 weeks is absolutely critical and you MUST keep physical distancing, read this interview from Dr. Chris Mackie - https://wp.me/p9kAQI-2f34

sigh. my town is a tad... redneck is the best way to discribe it.

social distancing people. ugh.

ok. i did a zoom meeting ( a dc parent set it up...) with some dc kids. today. i cried. miss them
    i am pretty sure i am staying shut for a few more weeks. if so .. i need a plan. i think i have some sort of loose goals of what i would like to get done...

to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good day all.

I went to SDM to grab eggs. Yippee they had them. Some lady was freaking out because someone was in asile and a man was at the other end. She didn't want me to come down it and asked if there were people in next aisle. Yes there was a big line up to check out. She was being unrealistic at 11am on a Saturday morning! I had my limit of over the top people today thank gosh we don't really need anything else.

Came home and put laundry on. Most is hanging to dry in the appropriate closet. The rest in dryer. I put a short wash on for a blanket i wanted to wash and will hang to dry.
    Cleaned the dining room. Since it is my work space too I wanted it super clean and functional. I have a small ikea desk off to the side for my laptop etc and a bankers box. Totally packed it all up for the weekend and easy to pull out Monday morning.
    I pulled out the fridge and cleaned behind there. The stove will get its turn one day this week.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Sat, Mar 28th, 2020 at 01:27 PM.
    Ciel, coupon girl and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Having a recalibrate day. TV and lounging while the rain drops outside. We had a full week adjusting to new routines and the kids did quite a bit of school work. This teacher mama is happy to have a couple of days off.

We will tidy, do dishes and laundry to get ourselves organized and set for the week at some point today. Tomorrow will probably be no or little tech for us as Sundays normally are. We won't go to online church with DH being between "jobs." We are attending a new church but I find it takes well over a year to really get into a church community at we have only been attending 6 months. I kind of feel it is like picking which of our friends we want to see put on a show.

Instead, the kids made a prayer banner last week and I think we will record our answered prayers and add some new hopes. We have two people we care about that were repatriated this week! One from Guatemala and one from Africa. I will call my grandfather at the long-term care facility. Finally, I saw a cool stained glass activity online. We have a pretty big window and I think the kids would like to do that.

@Giseledta we know others in the same boat with their businesses. I hope you will be covered under the CERB. I am sure the kids were happy to see you. I also watched the video link. A really positive news report or at least hopeful one. I appreciated it!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I also went to Shoppers today. 1st time in a month. Entirely for the Saturday sale and did not even try to hit 50.00. Bought the few things I needed and left. I did go to RCSS also the 1st time in at least 3 weeks. They had everything on my list expect for shrimp and flour. Both things that were not critical so I am not going to worry about it. There was a line up to get in because they are limiting how many people can be in the store. Then a line to get out but overall I would say it was no more than 20 minutes longer than my RCSS trip would usually take. I also remembered to use the 5.00 Visa cards from last years promo. I had planned a bbq for dinner but since it’s raining I need to decide on something else.
    Ciel, coupon girl and SassyAshley like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

afternoon- I have had a headache since yesterday afternoon ,stress headache (there is such a name) so I exercised today 10 minutes on the bike and some weights attached to my legs as I lay down and breathed gently.

Then my daughter called such a pleasure to hear from her ,today there were planning a pancake party as Sebastian is 3 and a half with just mommy ,daddy and Sebastian -lol
    Then Sebastian sang a song to us from peppa pig "peace and harmony" so cute,he now likes peppa pig more than paw patrols .

I told her try to relax about work and enjoy the weekend ,she told me she only did a bit of reading this morning and she found yeast yesterday (hard to find) so she made her famous margerita pizza.

Son called but the girls were acting up ,so I let him go as his wife was picking up groceries .
    Supper fish ,French fries and leftover corn .
    Ciel, lilo0003 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

2,89$ lb grounb beef famillial package at metro qc....was out of it.....wow finding good sale of meat is difficult in those time ... 9,67$ so i saved 10$ ...regarding the bill will be good for a few meals at least

went for another walk all we can still do in those days meh
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

grr i am out of patatoes and all i see is 6,00$ for a bag...that piss me out...
    edit 2,99$ 10 lbs at superc but dont know if maxi still pm ..
    Last edited by cath007; Sat, Mar 28th, 2020 at 06:11 PM.
    Ciel and lilo0003 like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    legault announced school are officially closed until may..that scrap my school year
    I have to ask my best friend how this week online went at school. I know that no one can attend placements due to the pandemic.
    lilo0003 and cath007 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    If you have reutilisable bags iga wont pack your grocery like before you have to do it...maxi still accept coupons and cash but not iga..
    LCBO (liquor stores) have signs that any customers using reusable bags have to pack them themselves.

Stores in my area that only take electronic payment: COBS bread and Cdn Tire. I'm boycotting them until they restore cash sales.

Stores with acrylic panels for cashiers: Shoppers, Fortinos, Food Basics and Walmart (two panels). Walmart just had an outside metal fence bolted to the grocery end (on the outside sidewalk for queuing) of the supercentre as the other entrance is now closed.
    lilo0003 and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I went to Sobeys at 9am. Our Sobey’s was better stocked today. I was able to get almost everything on my list. I used $5.50 in coupons and earned some bonus AM. I also got $0.25 from CO51. Hash browns were on sale, so I picked up extra for us. We didn’t have any at home. I also bought a few treats for our family. Name brand graham crackers for our kids.

At Sobeys this morning an employee had to be reminded to keep his distance. I was a distance away while asking if they had a case of oranges in stock, but he walked closer to me, like people normally would.

A person behind me in line kept moving closer to me. I actually asked her to back up and told her that the marks (black tape) on the floor were to keep us apart. She looked surprised/oblivious.

Do you have any suggestions for shows or movies that are uplifting? So many programs are depressing in nature, which I don’t want to see right now.
    We have CTV go, CBC Gem, Netflix, and Disney+.
    See how much of Netflix's Free Rein Season 1 you can take. Tends towards saccharine/bev hills 90210 a la English countryside but scenery and horses are easy on eyes. Very tween/teen oriented with some more substantial storylines about a city teen living with grandfather in countryside for summer. I also watched Season 2 and the two specials but have not taken to watching Season 3 yet.

Wish I could watch The Mandalorian because I found the online memes of The Child very interesting but I'd love to know the series *Disney+*. BTW, does Disney+ carry Studio Ghibli movies? My Neighbour Totoro *you may need to explain some cultural references in the movie to the kids* and Kiki's Delivery Service might suit your children and the animation is wonderful.
    lilo0003 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

About the changes in life due to further restrictions about shopping and where to walk when outdoors:

I feel like there's not enough oxygen in the house for the three of us. Spent Monday trimming tree again and using more yard waste bags.
    Wed flyers-saw Sobeys has Pepsi Throwback in flyer. Went to Fortinos (no stock), Shoppers (ditto) but Food Basics scored stock! ON sale for $4.88. Decided to wait and see if cans would still be there for Apr 3. Then next day Mom gave me April money. I went grocery shopping, got the Pepsi and one club pack of the $2.99/lb ground beef *because specials sell out on first day and I did not want to miss out* and a few other needed items.
    Then thought about how unlikely the library and schools are to reopen by April 6 and the absence of Internet (aside from 4 brief accesses). Decided I really wanted one of the Lenovo laptops in this weekend's Shoppers special deals-I went to local store (had to wait for truck and had no stock). Called three other stores-other store in town had one unit and Upper James had two units. Went to Upper James store just after 8am (only person on the bus until my stop) and got the laptop (had to wait in lines, there were many people shopping-intially had to wait in rain as staffer was limiting shoppers in store).
    Downside of deal-need USB 3.0 ethernet hub and guess what? Cannot find one at Dollarama, Shoppers (lots of tablet/phone cables) nor Walmart (Two store staff told me to try Best Buy and that website is not working and The Source has a hub on sale but of course that item is sold out and stores are closed). Tried to get Sibling to score one on Amazon but it's under $35 and we cannot think of an add-in to get the free shipping. So he let me access wireless connection tonight. But I really want to have that hub by next week.

Upside-got some key groceries, cooked one portion of beef with taco seasonings (had no problem using two coupons at Food Basics) and have a laptop without a Lan/ethernet port *missing my Sony Vaio laptop but it was toast*. Feel like I'm just on the edge of making some progress this year with a couple of setbacks.

Oh, I'm not too happy about the no bottle returns for almost two weeks. Have a few dollars worth of empties waiting for returns to be restored at the Beer Store.

COVID-19 updates-I find that watching different morning shows at top of hour for 10 min gets most of updates. Finding it really hard to watch Prime Minister's updates. Watching the French CBC news is helpful in slightly different news mix/perspectives. But hearing that we may need two months of social distancing and now with access to conservation areas off limits, I expect some community outrage to surface and some domestic tensions to boil over.

Wish the news broadcasts would be kinder to the Internetless viewers who could use more info than hearing "visit our website for more information"--that is not helpful to date.

Today and yesterday, I've purchased two papers for variety of news content and diversion from tv news. I'm trying to stall more conflict at home but the rainy weather is ensuring we'll be indoors mostly. I've liked walking to an extent but going into stores this week makes me feel really antsy.

Walmart has one item limits on bleach and certain paper and cleaning products.

Finally got into my bank account online, updated my info and attempted to add a service to my account. Verification call came to phone, Mom got it but fortunately the code was given 3 times and I entered it into my laptop after writing it down. Here's hoping I have unlocked my debit card after 1 year...seriously as that is a hindrance. Plus I'd like to consider donating online to a local organization in memory of a person whose obituary appeared in the paper this week (had not seen her in about three years and had not known she'd moved to another community) or send a cheque by mail.

April is going to be a lean financial month. I'll have to be super-careful with my HST credit on Friday.
    coupon girl and lilo0003 like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

morning -hubby and I watched a 10 episode series on netflicks( subtitled) about the Mexican cartel and a family that owns a tequila farm(mornica) ,almost done only 2 episodes left

I went to bed at midnight last night couldn't sleep,just wish the birds didn't chirp so early -I love their chirping just not always at 5.am.Well the headache I had for half of Friday and sat is gone took Tylenol ,then last night my darn neck was sore on one side .(good I always keep some form of deep rub on hand)Hubby said stop worrying and maybe that is the cause of it .

Lets hope it stops raining and we can get outside at 3.00 p.m today as it will be warm ,look at the little things we get to look forward too.

cath- I paid 5.99 for a bag of potatoes too when it comes in on Thursday from fortinos ,just a part of our life now -I sure am not chasing any sales infact I haven't been out since last Thursday morning in a store (shoppers) and the less I go anywhere the better .

My hair needs dyed which I always have done myself ,but I don't wish to do it yet til my forehead is fully recovered(still faint pink from the shingles I had)that can take 4-6 weeks to go away I read.

Son sent me a few pictures of his 2 girls on their jumpy castle he set up in his dining room yesterday ,I guess you always have to make the kids happy indoors on a rainy day.
    Last edited by coupon girl; Sun, Mar 29th, 2020 at 10:22 AM.
    Ciel, lilo0003 and SassyAshley like this.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread Information