User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    90 (100%)

It's getting pretty chilly out now and its around 17 in the house. We haven't turned the heat on yet so I thought I would see when others say 'enough is enough' and turn the heat on. Oh the things I ponder!

Have a wonderful day!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by watergirl73; Sat, Oct 22nd, 2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: sp
    Join Swagbucks Today!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/watergirl73
    I've made $50 how easy is that!
    Trade List and Wish List 2011

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

not yet.. we try to put it off as long as possible.. were electric heating. once its on it stays on.. last year it was Dec. 23
    im using candles to stay warm during the day and keep it that way at night.. plus we have two fake fireplaces that help.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

we already have but only for a few minutes to warm the place up when it's freezing plus we rent so we don't pay for heat lol

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

We turned it on about a month ago - there was a cold stretch here, then the next week it went into the 20s outside.
    For the last week, it's been on pretty steady - I'm in SK. Nights are dipping below zero. There have even been a few mornings, I've put it up to 20.

shaykeija
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I run a small dog rescue. When my oldest Shih tzu (15 YEARS OLD) starts to shiver even with a sweater on, the heat goes on. I asked my vet about this and he said my little old lady is just like a 100 year old person. They get cold....My heat has been on and off for the past month.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

For me 17 is still tolerable, so no heat on my account. However, my 75 year old mom lives with us now since last May. Where she lived before, heat was provided and often it was 25 in her place in the winter (I'd have to bring shorts when I came to visit, I hate being hot!). The weather has been nice in Hali lately, and today it was 20 degrees in here. I got home from DS's gymnastics class, and she was wearing a down vest.

Not the first time I've seen this happen this fall, so we've turned the heat on a bit early! But if it were just us, it wouldn't be on yet.

Also, we have programmable thermostats, so it used to turn off the heat when we went to work, turn on shortly after we got home, etc. Those days are done, we'll have to have it on all day now.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i think about 17 is my limit.. i hate being cold and clothing layers don't help when it's below 17... it's almost time

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

Here in Newfoundland it gets pretty chilly in the nights, so we had to start turning on the heat about a month ago!

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

when my lips and toes turn blue

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

To me, 17 is just perfect. However, with two young ones, around the end of Sept I started turning the heat on in their rooms at night and they wear fleece jammies. It will be a while before the rest of the house gets heated though. We have programmable thermostats, so daytime in winter is always socks, pants and long sleeves. Still cold? Grab a blanket, it's free.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'm a warm blooded gal (have an insulating layer of blubber to keep me warm!). The only part that gets cold is my feet - I'm partial to being barefoot at home, but my feet take a long time to warm up, unless I get in a warm bath or have a hot water bottle in the bottom of the bed.

I'm with you Amberlab, except for the part about kids's rooms. We just have one thermostat on each floor, and myself, I like it chilly at night and warm blankets, so that's how it is up where our bedrooms are. We all have down quilts for use in winter as well as fleece (not flannel) sheets, keeps us plenty warm in the night. I highly recommend those fleece sheets. My MIL gave us two sets of them over the last couple years, and I got a set for DS last year when he wanted to be in our bed more than in his own because his own bed was cold with those smooth cotton sheets. Honestly, they are not as cold when you get in. DS isn't nearly as likely to climb in with us when he's got his own toasty sheets!

It's temporarily chilly when we get out of the shower in the morning upstairs in winter, but not long before we're dressed, we deal. I don't bother programming the thermostat to make it warm for the 15 minutes we're out of bed and in/out of the shower. DS is five and doesn't shower in the morning , so no worries for him.

The programmable thermostat (that I highly recommend) starts to warms downstairs about a half hour before we come down. We're not down there long anyhow before we're out the door. With Mom here now during the day, I will have to reset the programmable thermostat to keep it at least 20 during the day rather than the 15 we'd had it set for before.
    Last edited by Zonny; Sat, Oct 22nd, 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I use to turn it on whenever I got cold, didn't care what the date on the calendar said! Now however we rent in an apartment and they control the heat and they still don't have it on. GRRRR. Landlord Tenant Act says it should be turned on by Sept 15 so I feel a complaint coming on! HOWEVER, I went out and purchased a space heater and keep that plugged in all day as it's been hovering around 68 in here which is too cold for me.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KK7 View Post
    when my lips and toes turn blue
    Ha ha ha.

Good question OP.
    At this time of year, I remember my coworker at my old job.
    On Mondays in October or November, he would come in and say, I didn't turn on the heat yet. Did I beat you? Did you have the heat on this weekend?

He won every year.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I've been switching the heating on for an hour or so just before the kids go to bed. But we'll go for regular heating by mid Nov except for those rare nice days.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

This thread is making me crave some hot cocoa.
    Later...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information