User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: CoVid - Applying for the NEW emergency fund for laid off people & others.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

If you’re locked out of CRA - My Account, the quickest way to apply for CERB is to use the automated phone service: 1-800-959-2019.

Before you call, make sure you have your social insurance number (SIN) and your postal code
    Giseledta and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Please SIGN this petition if YOU have been left out of the CERB benefits.

https://www.change.org/p/expand-cerb...tion_dashboard

Close to 1 million hardworking people have been unfairly
    Left out.

Pass and share the link with others too.
    Ciel, walkonby, dyalect and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Ciel likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Govt going to run out of money. Get yours.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Message on Service Canada when you log in :

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is currently unable to handle the request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server.

----

Not sure if CRA log in has the same problem.

People getting locked out of their account if this error happens 5 times. System thinks you entered a wrong password!

So for NO fault of yours you are Locked out.
    Ciel and walkonby like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

CERB criteria is $ 5,000 in 2019 income OR
    $ 5,000 made in the 12 months PRIOR to the application.

So even if you did Not make $ 5,000 in 2019 year, you can still qualify if you have made
    $ 5,000 in the past 12 months preceding the day you apply.

So if you apply on April 15, 2020 then,
    If you have made $ 5,000 even this year in 2020 any time, any month or any day up to
    April 14, 2020, you Will qualify.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I was surprised to see this morning's headline that today's CERB applicants had to have Jan-Mar birthdays (but knowing that federal workers have a 4 day work week due to Easter long weekend, I understood the logic). Last week, the messaging was CERB applicants by specific surname letters of the alphabet applied on designated days. Given that @GoodBoy saw the weekend tweet about the month format, was this information conveyed last Friday? I have not been watching the PM's updates much since getting the laptop one week ago.
    @tjthemanto I thought through the PM's updates over one week ago, he indicated CERB money should be released to applicants within 10 days after they apply. I am assuming business days, not calendar days. Has that messaging about turnaround time between online/phone application and actual receipt of benefit shortened?

Apr 4-PM's Twitter showed the birth month application days.

From the Apr 1 PM's Twitter account post-this link about turnaround times for direct deposit and cheques:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...n-april-6.html

Mar 30 PM's Twitter post had this link about the 10 days turnaround time:
    https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...usinesses.html

From City TV Toronto in March 2020 (tax implications for 2020 tax returns!):
    https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/04/...ponse-benefit/
    Benefits will start within 10 days of you submitting an application. There is no waiting period.
    While the benefits are taxable, tax is not deducted when it is paid to you. You must report the CERB payments as income when you file your taxes for 2020.
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Apr 6th, 2020 at 11:23 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

If in doubt apply anyway. Even if you have to pay it back next year, because you were not eligible. There are NO penalties and NO interest on it for erroneous applications.

Attachment 361827
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I was surprised to see this morning's headline that today's CERB applicants had to have Jan-Mar birthdays (but knowing that federal workers have a 4 day work week due to Easter long weekend, I understood the logic). Last week, the messaging was CERB applicants by specific surname letters of the alphabet applied on designated days. Given that @GoodBoy saw the weekend tweet about the month format, was this information conveyed last Friday? I have not been watching the PM's updates much since getting the laptop one week ago.
    @tjthemanto I thought through the PM's updates over one week ago, he indicated CERB money should be released to applicants within 10 days after they apply. I am assuming business days, not calendar days. Has that messaging about turnaround time between online/phone application and actual receipt of benefit shortened?

Apr 4-PM's Twitter showed the birth month application days.

From the Apr 1 PM's Twitter account post-this link about turnaround times for direct deposit and cheques:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...n-april-6.html

Mar 30 PM's Twitter post had this link about the 10 days turnaround time:
    https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...usinesses.html

From City TV Toronto in March 2020 (tax implications for 2020 tax returns!):
    https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/04/...ponse-benefit/
    Yes now he is saying 3 business days for Direct Deposit. And 10 days for mailed cheques.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...-with-cra.html

Apply for Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) with CRA

The CERB supports Canadians by providing financial support to employed and self-employed Canadians who are directly affected by COVID-19.
    It provides a payment of $2,000 for a 4-week period (the same as $500 a week) for up to 16 weeks.
    After you apply, you should get your payment in 3 business days if you signed up for direct deposit.

If you haven’t, you should get it in about 10 business days.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

CERB might be split into 2 bi-weekly payments of $ 1,000 each, because EI is paid bi-weekly.

So don't be surprised if your first payment is only $ 1,000 and not $ 2,000.

These payments are taxable next year. So not tax free.
    Giseledta and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Some people on Twitter to CHCH Morning Live were responding to show's request for viewers' turnaround times on applications and such. Someone posted that spouse applied for EI benefits on March 17 and just received 3 weeks' worth.

OK, about delaying one's income tax return (affects release of credits) and CERB applications (summer audit likely starting in August), a local accounting firm person was on the Morning Live show explaining what people are in for if they wait:
    https://www.chch.com/income-tax-changes/

He did say if you could not apply for CERB on your assigned day between Monday-Thursday, everyone can try to apply between Friday and Sunday.
    ssbean likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Some people on Twitter to CHCH Morning Live were responding to show's request for viewers' turnaround times on applications and such. Someone posted that spouse applied for EI benefits on March 17 and just received 3 weeks' worth.

OK, about delaying one's income tax return (affects release of credits) and CERB applications (summer audit likely starting in August), a local accounting firm person was on the Morning Live show explaining what people are in for if they wait:
    https://www.chch.com/income-tax-changes/

He did say if you could not apply for CERB on your assigned day between Monday-Thursday, everyone can try to apply between Friday and Sunday.
    Any idea if it is a Criminal offence if you apply even if you are NOT eligible as you are desperate and CERB has unfairly excluded some of the most vulnerable people?

I mean besides paying back the $ 8,000 if you are audited and caught, are there any other monetary penalties, interest charges on the
    $ 8,000, jail time or something like that?
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I applied on day 1 and received my payment today-in just 2 days-pretty amazing!
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Was it a full exactly $ 2,000 payment?

Or a part of it?
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Your local media outlets would probably love to hear how fast your turnaround experience has been. Great for you!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information