User Tag List

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree2504Likes

Thread: April 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by flemeth View Post
    For everyone talking gardening . I have never do a vegetable garden my DH usually buy plants and plant them . But this year I was planning on doing a little gardening buy myself planting seeds from scratch. When do anyone usually put in seeds in the ground let’s say bitter melon, butternut squash and jalapeńos peppers and beans that’s what I have seeds for. TIA
    i am very bad at starting from seeds. the only thing that goes well for me was ... giant pumpkins.. and direct sow stuff. like lettuce ect
    barbis9, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by flemeth View Post
    For everyone talking gardening . I have never do a vegetable garden my DH usually buy plants and plant them . But this year I was planning on doing a little gardening buy myself planting seeds from scratch. When do anyone usually put in seeds in the ground let’s say bitter melon, butternut squash and jalapeńos peppers and beans that’s what I have seeds for. TIA
    @flemeth This advice is NOT from me but from my GreenThumb ( DH )
    The problem with peppers and beans is if they go into the ground before the temp. of the ground is above 50 degrees Fahrenheit , they will rot. ( not germinate )

Bitter melon he is unfamiliar with. Squash, again requires a warmer soil to plant seeds outdoors.
    He said some of those can be started indoors and transferred outside later.
    Hope that helps some.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Evening Everyone,
    I so do not have a Green Thumb, my grandparents both side, Oma on Dad's side all about the flowers but also grew veggies which we shared with us (Dad's Family as we lived next door), Mom's side all of them worked in the garden and we had a massive vegetable garden growing up. Mom claims she can garden just doesn't have the patient, me I am good at killing plants.

Okay, today has been very up and down, I "slept", okay I feel asleep late but then slept through the night so a win for me. Woke up feeling pretty good but the morning was a bit insane, we seem to be having a lot of issues and misunderstandings this morning. Once the phone and email slowed down I made a batch of Banana Muffins to use up dying Bananas on the counter. Once they were in the oven it was back to work.

My afternoon was very not my day, I crashed hard, got super tired and was getting very annoyed. I am grateful to be able to work from home but right now what I would give for a day in the office to be out of the house. Honestly, I was so frustrated I sat here just trying not to cry and the fact that I did not cry was my accomplishment for the afternoon.

Once I was done work, I was annoyed so I cleaned out on freezer, I wanted to get rid of more but knew it wouldn't go well. We have all of these random bags of things that have been frozen to use later but we never use them. Only good news is the vacuum sealed so they are still usable but it is time to find a use for these. Mainly I want this huge tub of cherries out, we have had it a couple of year they are those big tubs you buy from the store during cherry season. I just feel like we are taking up space I could be using to stockpile and limit our shopping trips. But with that being said I am torn on actually grocery shopping as I would like to force us to use some of this stuff.

Alright, let's see if there is anything I can tackle, I need to feel productive again, I miss being productive.

Have a wonderful night everyone.
    Giseledta, Ciel and walkonby like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    @flemeth This advice is NOT from me but from my GreenThumb ( DH )
    The problem with peppers and beans is if they go into the ground before the temp. of the ground is above 50 degrees Fahrenheit , they will rot. ( not germinate )

Bitter melon he is unfamiliar with. Squash, again requires a warmer soil to plant seeds outdoors.
    He said some of those can be started indoors and transferred outside later.
    Hope that helps some.
    Thank you @walkonby for the great advice.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    i am very bad at starting from seeds. the only thing that goes well for me was ... giant pumpkins.. and direct sow stuff. like lettuce ect
    Thank you @Giseledta

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Opened my fridge this morning and it was dead. Ok so need new fridge. Moved all freezer stuff to the upright (good thing I have been cooking meals from it) then toss crapped and bagged stuff and brought to my moms to put in her fridge. Started cleaning it out. Went to plug in my diffuser in hall plug which is on other side of fridge and the plug wasn't working. So thought oh maybe breaker is off etc. It was!!! Fridge works! I was ok buying a new fridge but not shopping online and having delivered to front step without seeing it etc.
    Bought some time now
    MacGyver rep! It'd be a tad tricky getting a fridge delivered right now unless it came from a friend or neighbour as temporary measure or sale.
    Giseledta, barbis9 and walkonby like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Coupon Girl, may not apply but you may need to check if they are accepting Yard Waste. Our local drop off is currently not accepting yard waste, currently you can only drop off household garbage materials.

I know there has been some confusion in our areas as they are open but limited what they accept.
    Hamilton is allowing residents to take leaf waste in (but sibling of mine won't take the hazardous waste on past trips to same place!) but Toronto closed its leaf waste drop off. Or so I understood last week. Today a local Hamilton resident's letter to the editor about the lack of widely publicized disclosure about why no leaf pickup was occurring was published. She learned about the halt via a neighbour. City of Hamilton has the update on its website but its up to people who are online to access it.
    Giseledta, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Day two of #spwinter weather in April! Saw frost on the ground when I released a spider from the shower stall to the outdoors. Thankfully, I was not in the shower stall when I saw movement!

Grateful for a week's worth of papers from a friend! Some articles will be saved after other family members have had a chance to read through them (great to have something other than tv for news and yes I like the ads). I am avoiding stores until Thursday.

Super-grateful I snagged a $1.99 bundle of mixed organic carrots from Longo's reduced price produce rack yesterdya. There's a cool looking two tone purply-red outer and yellowy orange core carrot, pale yellow ones, orange ones. I used about half of the pack with about two bell peppers (one was a parrot tulip coloured red/yellow version) and one yellow onion to roast on low broil with 4 Tbsp of olive oil and generous salt (yields tender-crisp veggies with onion pieces tasting like they came off a shish kebab stick!). Might try skewering the veggies next time on low-broil to see if I get that shish-kebab effect too.

Did some yard raking (the light stuff) when at some point I heard a goose honk. An SUV came around the corner in the road and the geese of yesterday were on a neighbour's property but near the road. The fowl traversed our yard later when one of sibling's friends roared up with his motorcycle. Glad I was done before that last bit!
    barbis9 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Denninger's stores will be offering curbside pickup and delivery of online orders if you are in the vicinity of their Hamilton or Halton area shops. https://denningers.com/pages/curb-side-pickup-delivery The chain is working on an online order list. Not clear what they mean by paying over the phone (credit card?). There is a delivery charge (varies by store and delivery location i.e. costs more for an Ancaster delivery than one in Hamilton).

The Burlington Centre location's store has reduced its hours too, as have most grocery stores.
    Giseledta and barbis9 like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

ceil-my neighbour a few doors down went today to take her 4 bags of leafs waste and they came home with the bags as there was about 40 cars right out onto the road way -no kidding she said and this was at 10.00 a.m ,so we thought we may go another day

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Argh. I've been following the corona cases in my area. There are two cases in Shelburne and an outbreak in a nursing home in Owen Sound. Our farm is about midway between these two locations. I think I'll lift my spirits tonight by planning out a vegetable garden. Its about time to start the seeds inside...I use egg cartons that I save up and put one seed into the soil in each egg pocket. I haven't gone out to buy new seeds, nor ordered them, so I'll be taking my chances with last year's packets. Maybe quantity will make up for diminished quality, and I'll still get a good batch of sprouts? I wish I could take advantage of the grocery deals--I actually miss shopping for groceries--but we've decided to hunker down for a few weeks, and we really don't *need* anything.

Chin up, everyone. This too will pass. Oh...and take a minute to look at the Pink Supermoon tonight (Tuesday) https://www.foxnews.com/science/get-...uper-pink-moon

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I got up early to have a shower before daycare boy arrived this morning. The mom sent me a text while I was in the shower, telling me he was staying home with grandpa.

Anyway, I had set a different alarm in my phone to enter a local online contest at 6:45am and I won! “Congratulations....You can pick up a Family Size Tuscani Pasta at the station.”
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

good morning all.

plan for the day... started laundry... tidied the kitchen.
    puppies and i will head outside about 1230 and start in on the back yard... goal is side near neighbours house.. and anouther 3 feet on the old pumpkin patch. and general clean up. i need to decide what to do with the 1 small shed... might move it... hmm. options.

supper is mac and cheese gr beef and corn. A fav of youngest.
    and i should get the mail
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Nothing like a jolt to get going in the morning. I was a little slow getting going this morning as I did not sleep well last night, then my phone started blowing up, one of our branches was down. It was my local branch and normally I would be the person to fix this but due to social distancing I cannot step into the branch so I had to try to get them back up and running. Good news is after about 15 minutes we got them back up.

Seems like all of my mornings right now are full of "issues" and then as the day goes on they slow down. I got all my must get done stuff for work done and now, I am working on a manual. I have not written one since I started working from home which I know is bad, now is my time to get these done but they take so much focus and I am just lacking focus right now.

My Monday meeting was moved to today, hoping this one is not a long meeting. I do not have plans for after work but just feeling meh today.

Alright time to get back to work, have a great day everyone.
    Giseledta and Ciel like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Both of my daycare kids cancelled last minute today. Second load of laundry is in the washing machine. Ds did about an hour of school work on my computer this morning. Some of the employees were very stressed at Sobeys and I still feel stressed myself. Watching cartoons with my kids to relax some.

I did a Sobeys shop before Dh headed to work this morning. No bananas and no yeast. Paid with gift cards.
    $145.45oop
    $16.11 for 10% discount
    $4 in Coupons
    $1.75 + $0.50 on CO51
    39AM earned, some on items I didn’t know had AM
    Last edited by Angela273; Tue, Apr 7th, 2020 at 12:55 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information