User Tag List

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree2504Likes

Thread: April 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

went out to work on the yard... started to rain.. inside with the dogs on the big bed while hubby has his meeting.
    i am ok with that.
    after the meeting i will find some material to make bags for clothes pins... mine fell apart
    dig out the paint needed for the touch ups i plan on doing..
    more laundry...
    and prob work on the basement for 30 or so ... might work on the playroom..
    ROMEO, Angela273, barbis9 and 3 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I hear you angela -last store I was in was fortinos last Thursday (tooo stressfull ,so worried since I had shingles in march ) so on Tuesday next week is my pickup from fortinos express and I am not going in the store at all even if I am missing something.

Son will bring me a bag of milk on his way home from work on Wednesday .I will give him ashlyn's and cara's easter gifts in a box on my front porch ,I asked they they send me an email link of the girls opening it or holding the items .Meanwhile I know some people will not do distancing on easter in this country ,but we all must do our part that's for sure .

My daughter said last night don't worry about Sebastian's ,he will get whatever you got him after this is all normal again (whenever that may be)Should a freeze an easter hollow bunny I got him?? Will it be fresher in 6 months time if frozen as opposed to sitting in a drawer in a bag .

IT is godiva bunnies bought back in feb 3.99 at winners ,you don't know how much I would love to eat one of these !

Walkonby -thanks for the mayonaise banana bread recipe from the last thing you baked section back in dec .As my mayo expires may 10 so decided to make it turned out great .

Oh just made knorr noodle soup for lunch ,never had it before I think a few months back it was 1.49-1.00 cpn=.49 I paid wish I had bought more I loved it wayyy better than lipton soup mix
    Last edited by coupon girl; Tue, Apr 7th, 2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wendymac View Post
    Argh. I've been following the corona cases in my area. There are two cases in Shelburne and an outbreak in a nursing home in Owen Sound. Our farm is about midway between these two locations. I think I'll lift my spirits tonight by planning out a vegetable garden. Its about time to start the seeds inside...I use egg cartons that I save up and put one seed into the soil in each egg pocket. I haven't gone out to buy new seeds, nor ordered them, so I'll be taking my chances with last year's packets. Maybe quantity will make up for diminished quality, and I'll still get a good batch of sprouts? I wish I could take advantage of the grocery deals--I actually miss shopping for groceries--but we've decided to hunker down for a few weeks, and we really don't *need* anything.

Chin up, everyone. This too will pass. Oh...and take a minute to look at the Pink Supermoon tonight (Tuesday) https://www.foxnews.com/science/get-...uper-pink-moon
    Mom seemed to forget from last year (that I had told her, as result of doing mini-barn cleanups) that Dad left lots of bean, tomato, squash and other seeds. So this week, she was so excited when I said there were plenty of seeds of certain veggies and reminded her of some fruit pits she set aside years ago plus other seeds she forgot about. She's on her own in the planting and care of them!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Day 3 of #spwinter and my morning surprise was 5 mins of clear channel access to City TV before signal broke up.

CHCH Morning Live had a tax expert explain why it's a bad idea to postpone doing your tax return and said that CERB applications are being approved by computer but in the summer, CRA will be auditing those same applications.

Charge TV's Twitter mentioned the start of Magnum PI and Knight Rider streaming on its channel yesterday. And reminded viewers to rescan channels to due recent changes.

Noticed that Harpers Garden Centre (Ancaster) has opened its online shop and has a flyer (ends tomorrow). Supersac of dirt is supposedly $20 off (code??) (but it's not clear on the item price whether that is the sale or regular price). Free delivery on supersac. But delivery prices otherwise are based on which city or town you are in and centre will go into the GTA and west of Ancaster too.

The Hamilton Spectator recently updated its website and today I noticed that the former Lifenews.ca (for obituaries) link is now redirecting to the Obituaries on the Legacy.com site (Canadian newspaper link is having issues today). But the Obit link from the Spec's Life section takes one directly to most recent local obits. And I happened to find an acquaintance's obituary at an area funeral home by chance today and the passing was not published in the local paper.
    Giseledta, ROMEO and barbis9 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I feel rough. Paint fumes? Too much wine last night? Who knows.
    Bedroom is done and beautiful. Still need to move bed in place and furniture back in. Need to put up new rod and curtains and nice coat rack/ hooks i bought years ago. Tomorrow. We are both feeling rough lol. Oh well we had a good evening
    Just had a shower and going out for a bit. Hopefully fresh air helps.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Tue, Apr 7th, 2020 at 04:14 PM.
    Giseledta, ROMEO, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    Okay, the work day is done although I might do a little bit of paperwork later tonight well watching TV. I did this last night as I am trying to use this time to be more organized. I so crave organization in my life yet I struggle with it, I envy those who seem to organize with ease, that is not me, I usually make more of a mess first.

Tonight's dinner is a Homemade Meatloaf I pulled from the freezer and a Mashed Potato Bake to use up some Leftover Mashed Potatoes we had in the fridge. I need to figure out a veggie but I think I will just reach in the freezer and whatever bag I grab will be the one I make.

I have asked Mom to make us Fabric Face Masks and decided tomorrow is the day, we will go to Costco once I am done work. My plan going is to stock up and hopefully get enough to cover us a month. My goal is a once a month stock up shop with a smaller shop every 2 weeks just for fresh items. I have proven we can go 2 weeks without shopping and probably could go a little longer but I want to go now before anymore restrictions come down. Costco is limiting 2 people per membership and I realize why but I do not want to wait in case they start limiting 1 per family like other stores are. I know I cannot handle a Costco Shop alone and I do not think Mom could do it alone either. We will be social distancing as she has the cart and I go off in 500 directions grabbing stuff and just putting it in the cart. I have decided from what I have read online Costco is probably our best bet to get everything we need in one stop, my only concern is fresh fruit and veggie as we usually only buy Portobellos and Romaine there and then normally we head off to the Chinese Market for everything else. But, we are trying to only go to one store as recommended.

Also if I can talk Mom into this weekend we may tackle out guest room, I think there is a fabric in there from Nanny which I will donate (or nicely talk Mom into) making fabric masks for people at work. We will supply them that if they wish they can wear them at work but also if they want them to use outside of work. Our hope is to give each staff member 2 or 3 masks so they have extras. Now I just need Mom to make the masks we need for tomorrow.

Alright Meatloaf is in the Oven, now I just need to put the Potato Bake in.

Have a wonderful night everyone.
    Ciel and coupon girl like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Questions for everyone:

Are you able to stick to only shopping once a week?

Are you just going to one store or do you still find you have to go to multiple stores?

What are your feelings about going out and shopping right now?
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Online teaching. PHEW! Requires A LOT of feedback to students to do well. Endless typing for me. It is a lot of work and I miss my normal job. I am thankful for the job though. Since I teach grade 6 I imagine it is easier for me than for my colleagues with younger grades. DH has started helping kids with their learning because I can't during the day.

Tomorrow I have niece and nephew too. I did a lot of front-loading my work this week so I don't have to be online ALL day tomorrow.

I need to incorporate more fitness/ergonomic breaks. I started wearing a fitbit (alike).
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Questions for everyone:

So far we have gone just over 2 weeks without shopping, I think we could make it to next week if needed
    Are you just going to one store or do you still find you have to go to multiple stores?
    This will be my first week trying to only go to one store, Costco seems like my best bet.
    Living in a small town, I feel like if I was just shopping locally I could not get everything we need at 1 store and would probably have to go to 2 or 3 to get what we need. Our stores can lack stock at times which usually leads to me shopping 2 or 3 times a week or going to 2 to 3 stores to get what we need.

I am concerned with going out, I feel safer staying inside but since they are saying social distancing will last weeks to months, again I keep hearing July or August so it is a part of life now. Mom asked me if I would feel better if we did grocery pick up but getting a time slot is next to impossible and I would prefer someone who should not be in stores get that slot.

I feel trying to limit shopping to every 2 weeks to a month, I am doing what I can and who knows maybe after this big Costco shop I can spread it out even more. As well as I said we will be fabric masks.
    Ciel likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Doing shopping just once a week, for us and our elderly neighbour.

Only going to one store (sometimes a second if really need to). Cost is more overall but for us it is worth less exposure.

Hate shopping since some other people are total idiots, but have found good times to go and good stores so that helps!
    ROMEO, Angela273, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    I feel rough. Paint fumes? Too much wine last night? Who knows.
    Bedroom is done and beautiful. Still need to move bed in place and furniture back in. Need to put up new rod and curtains and nice coat rack/ hooks i bought years ago. Tomorrow. We are both feeling rough lol. Oh well we had a good evening
    Just had a shower and going out for a bit. Hopefully fresh air helps.
    If you feel like you are smelling paint combined with a sinus like ache near your eyes, yep blame the paint!
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Questions for everyone:

Shopping seems to take at least two stores for a partial stockup by me on one trip by foot. Sibling (Car) deals with tissue, bottled water and bulk detergent and some grocery items on his own; he may take Mom out to one or two local stores once per week. This week, I intend to just visit Shoppers and wait until Monday for restocking food.

Given that stores are out of some items, no one can really do one grocery store for the week's needs without having some kind of surplus paper (bathroom, kitchen, facial), cleaning items or canned/packaged foods already at home. Hard for shoppers that require specific brands or items and if not in stock, it might be really hard to travel to another store in community or next biggest place with same store banner.

Having said that, I am aware some members like Ensure. Mr Case in Toronto is clearing out cases of Ensure Plus Strawberry flavour, if you live in the Hamilton-Toronto area and don't mind paying for delivery or picking it up yourself, you can get the deal. https://www.mrcase.com/clearance/w-e...4x6x235ml.html
    barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The lineups outside of stores though is getting to me. I think I'll walk away if I have to wait past 10 minutes and like another member said, yes shopping is costing more (I've made a few substitutes to buy the higher brand/new to me item because my usual product is not in stock or at a store not taking cash customers). I recently told Mom it seems like this is an experience she and my late father probably experienced in their communities growing up in their native land because there was not too much of anything to buy so people queued to see if they could buy anything on their list.
    barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

My second Staples order seems stuck and there's no refund either. Tomorrow, I'll reach out to the help contact to find out what the issue is as the store has my money.

Simons order shows a delivery for tomorrow but I'll check the mailbox to make sure right now that it is not there.
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Apr 7th, 2020 at 06:34 PM.
    barbis9 likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Questions for everyone:

Good questions @SassyAshley

yes...even worse my DD is policing me so I don't go out! ha ha

I plan to get everything from one store, but sometimes they just don't have an item OR their regular prices are too rich for my blood, so I make an extra trip to the cheaper store....a quick in and out.

It is NOT really necessary ( for us I mean, we have enough to survive on ) but sometimes I struggle by making excuses to go out and get something.
    ROMEO, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information