User Tag List

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree2504Likes

Thread: April 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb56789 View Post
    That is definitely the case at our store. We have a bunch of temps working stock during the day and messing everything up cause they aren't getting proper training. So a few of us on nights are planning on working OT for 4hrs after one of our shifts and training these temps (Since no one on days is bothering to do it!!). Cause even though they are suppose to be taking pressure off us, they are actually adding even more work since we have to fix their mistakes.
    The plan is noble in order to reduce errors but it comes down to dollars and to approval from the top rank. You make valid observations about new hires not meshing in with store protocols in current use.
    Is your store owner/head manager approving of the plan? You don't want to get stuck doing training without payment.
    And you might need to factor in a 15min break during that 4hour period so everyone can get a beverage/food order and collect thoughts/questions.
    Giseledta and barbis9 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ok, breakfast and morning show viewing are done (as well as a couple of small glasses of watered-down Dr. Pepper; want to extend the pop into tomorrow). Wiped down surfaces with wet wipes. Tossed first of two laundry loads into washer and got my shower and hairdrying over with. Emptied my liquid soap refill into the biggest soap pump and tiny bit left over into a smaller soap pump. Think we'll get through the weekend with that top-up then the liquid soap quest will resume.

Moved table inserts and legs from dismantled old dining table into prominent view in basement. I heard Mom say to brother she'd like junk out of basement so my intention is to make it obvious without me saying a word that the old 70s table has to go. Hope the plan works (James Bond style).

Funny to see the evening snow still covering the lawn lightly this morning. I recall that last spring farmers had a very wet March and April. Let's hope Mother Nature knows that and does not keep throwing weird snow and rain conditions in April or we all will really see prices rising for produce this year. Though tomatoes went up in price this year: https://www.advisor.ca/news/economic...ces-skyrocket/
    Giseledta, barbis9 and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I miss being able to touch clothing and socks especially now that I have to mend one sock in order to salvage its warm use this week.
    Oh, and thrift store browsing is really a thing I long to return to.

Tea-time in late morning is a virtue. Enjoy whatever warm or hot beverage gets you motivated to power through your day!
    Giseledta, barbis9 and coupon girl like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Morning -hardly any sleep maybe 4 hours ,I was worrying about what I didn't get from my order yesterday at fortinos .I was gonna go into shoppers to use a 10.00 promo card up,which I got last month before I got my shingles it expires today .

Well I decided it is not worth it for me to go into stores unless I cant shop online anymore ,(really is my life worth more than saving 10.00 bucks yes)do I miss using coupons of course I have used them 40 years now .

Ceil -I read the article about getting groceries to last 2 weeks and I am doing that ,maybe its a bit easier for just 2 of us as opposed to 4 /5 or 6 people. Oh and ceil I so miss thrift shopping it was a passion of mine to save us money ,plus I grew up on it with my mom ,as my dear dad was in a wheel chair and out of work before he passed away at age 50 ,so before and after my dad passed we thrift shopped .

Very fresh out today ,noticed a skunk ,possum or racoon got into my 2 compost bags inside my tall green bin -ticked off I was so maybe I will get hubby to bungy cord it the lid .Wish we had one like my daughter in Toronto that has a lock and screw top on it .
    Last edited by coupon girl; Wed, Apr 15th, 2020 at 09:30 AM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    Morning -hardly any sleep maybe 4 hours ,I was worrying about what I didn't get from my order yesterday at fortinos .I was gonna go into shoppers to use a 10.00 promo card up,which I got last month before I got my shingles it expires today .

Well I decided it is not worth it for me to go into stores unless I cant shop online anymore ,(really is my life worth more than saving 10.00 bucks yes)do I miss using coupons of course I have used them 40 years now .

Ceil -I read the article about getting groceries to last 2 weeks and I am doing that ,maybe its a bit easier for just 2 of us as opposed to 4 /5 or 6 people. Oh and ceil I so miss thrift shopping it was a passion of mine to save us money ,plus I grew up on it with my mom ,as my dear dad was in a wheel chair and out of work before he passed away at age 50 ,so before and after my dad passed we thrift shopped .

Very fresh out today ,noticed a skunk ,possum or racoon got into my 2 compost bags inside my tall green bin -ticked off I was so maybe I will get hubby to bungy cord it the lid .Wish we had one like my daughter in Toronto that has a lock and screw top on it .
    @coupon girl your sc name sure says it all eh? What fun is it to pay regular prices for our stuff?
    I'm sure missing the actual excursions, on a whim to be able to skip out for this or that.

For that reason though ( the health safety side ) I'm using the same expired yeast ( instead of going out to buy a new jar ) to make loaf number two of that delicious bread! Of course first loaf is gone...lol.
    The gang approved of it all the way, and it's hands down THE easiest homemade bread to make.
    Today I made the dough in the food processor and plopped it in the bowl for the first 3 hour rest.
    The place should be wafting lovely aromas by around 12:30-1:00 p.m.

My sis is so desperate to drive out " anywhere " that she said she wanted to drive here, wait in the driveway and then pick up some of the bread to taste it! ha ha I said no way! Who knows what we could transfer to her as 3 here are still working, so risk of spreading is higher i think. So sad what this isolation has done to people, especially those living alone.

babies teach us acceptance

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Yes, I feel for people who live alone. My sister is on her own but normally she has her bf, friends and family round but right now the closest she gets is she dropped off a puzzle to my step mom last week and she stood in the driveway and they talked through the door.

As much as I missing my alone time, I think I would be going totally insane if I was completely on my own.

Although I will say our family group chat as never been more active and especially on Saturdays, Saturdays it blows up.

I also feel a lot of this is mental, it is a mind set of if I forget something at the store I cannot just run back and grab it or if we go to make something for dinner and don't have x, I can't just run and grab it. Not to mention, as I said my grocery budget is blown as I cannot chase the sales and when you are trying to plan a month out it leads to a lot of well I better grab this, I better grab that. I personally have learned not only is spending $$$ a trigger for my anxiety but so is the feeling of not being able to provide, I notice as we get low on stuff my anxiety goes up and now it the million questions of when will we shop, where will we go, okay do we have a list of everything we need.

I am sure we will get through this but there are good and bad days.

Hope everyone has a great day.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good morning and happy hump day!

Last night was a lazy night after work. And went to bed before 10pm and slept through till my alarm went off this morning. That rarely happens. Guess I was tired and needed the sleep.

I see my boys were playing cards again last night. If anything this is great quality time they are getting together.

My mom called me yesterday asking me to pop by her house to grab a bag of stuff. She had Easter cards with cash and gift cards for all of us! She spoils us so much. And she made us homemade mac and cheese, some dessert squares, veggie dip and veggies to go with it. So we didn't cook last night and probably won't tonight either to eat up all the leftovers.

Hope to get some laundry put away tonight.

Frugalness- I am liking the "not allowed to shop" for the frugalness it is doing for me. I was already wanting to be extra frugal this year but this has really helped/motivated me.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yes walkonby -i did pick a great name coupon girl for here ,its me to a tee .Infact my dear daughter(who lives in toronto) told one of her friends I was a crazy coupon lady ,well who gave her a pkg of toilet paper back the first week in march when we went there to babysit my grandson on a sunday before this pandemic .She was just able to get a pkg of toilet paper the other day also .

sassy -I have never dealt with anxiety ,but I am now .So afraid to go into stores since I got over shingles last month (my dear sister-in-law has had shingles 4 times ,I never knew you could get it that many times)

Here is good customer service I called my local shopper and explained my situation ,how I didn't wish to go into stores since I had shingles and my 10.00 promo card is expiring today .The manager told me to hang onto it and he will honour it after this is some what over I guess I should say.I explained I am still using one of your stores fortinos to get my online grocery shopping done and he said no worries .In my book that is number one good customer service ,made my day .

Now I will go make some homemade chicken soup ,minus the celery as I don't have any ,oh well I do have carrots
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

ahhh frugalbigmama -enjoy your dear mom,she sounds like a special lady .

I miss my dear mom she always use to go above and beyond ,if it was a meal when my hubby was on strike years ago ,or money or always buying my kids stuff when they were little .Oh and by the way I am now that mom and nana .
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    ahhh frugalbigmama -enjoy your dear mom,she sounds like a special lady .

I miss my dear mom she always use to go above and beyond ,if it was a meal when my hubby was on strike years ago ,or money or always buying my kids stuff when they were little .Oh and by the way I am now that mom and nana .
    Yes dear coupon girl we do. We are fortunate to have her and feel thank full. We were prepared to lose her 2 years ago (beginning of March 2018) when she had an aneruysm in the brain and had to have surgery. She pulled through like a champ and we had her back home after a month. So we are staying away and doing her shopping for her since she is over 70.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    For that reason though ( the health safety side ) I'm using the same expired yeast ( instead of going out to buy a new jar ) to make loaf number two of that delicious bread! Of course first loaf is gone...lol.
    ICYDK, bread yeast keeps for at least a couple of years in the freezer. Also, if you use enough to buy Fleischmann's in jars without storing it this way, you might want to keep in mind that other brands that come in larger packages can offer substantial savings on a per weight basis. I wouldn't make a separate stop now, but I've been buying 1-pound foil packages (it's not a loose bulk product) of Red Star for a few years. While the last time I bought it was over a year ago, the regular price was $5 at Bulk Barn. I keep a bit in a jar in the fridge, and the rest in the freezer, with the foil pack placed inside a freezer bag.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My tax lady just called and said she would come pick up my tax stuff!! Yipppeee. Happy to get that done and out of the way. I was in no rush considering the circumstances. But I have no need to use the extended time since they owe me money and I would rather have it now

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    @coupon girl I haven't caved yet wrt my hair colour. It needs more of a cut than a colour atm, BUT I'd have to go back to full bright all over blonde if I wanted to use the boxed stuff I have in my stockpile ( Nice 'N Easy ) .....Hmmmm, does that stuff expire?
    I've not been that blonde for a long time now, was talked down to a softer brown shade at a salon late in 2018, and I've continued to spoil myself by going there every few months.
    The family ( and me too! ) will finally see how much grey will come in as I've never let it grow out natural.
    Woo hoo! Fun times.
    Most personal care products have a shelf life of three years, unless you see an expiry date - ie sunscreen, medication. Should be good but avoid storing in sunny, humid area ie bathroom. I put a sticker with month and date on my stuff, so I use the oldest first.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Went shopping at Fortinos yesterday. Most people were doing the physical distance, but was surprised at the number of women who push in like they are so important.....not!

Noticed prices are slowly creeping up - all the Covid 19 precautions are being passed to the consumer.

Had injections yesterday and was doctor was covered - head to toe almost. I didn't mind wearing a mask and all the precautions she was taking.

For all those who are stressed - this will eventually pass. I stopped price comparing as it only was stressing me out. I'm keeping track of my spending - only necessities now.

Sobeys just called - my hard to find juice had come in - 16 bottles and they are on sale - so I'm stocking up as Walmart was the other store that carries it. Prefer Sobeys as Walmart isn't the best for precautions as you can't just tap at the registers.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Did my taxes for free online with Turbotax two weeks ago and my refund was deposited yesterday 🙂

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information