User Tag List

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
Like Tree2504Likes

Thread: April 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have some cans of cherry pie filling in my pantry and they are getting close to their best by date. I’m going to use one can as the filling for my oatmeal fruit bars. I could bake a cheese cake, but we really wouldn’t use much of the pie filling as the sauce with it.
    Recipe suggestions?

edit: How do you think thumb print cookies would turn out if I used cherry pie filling instead of the jam?
    Last edited by Angela273; Tue, Apr 28th, 2020 at 01:04 AM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Your thumbprint cookies will look like red volcanoes as pie filling is runnier than the thicker jam. Though if you had lots of cherry jam, I'd recommend using it for cake. However, you seem to right with that idea-this recipe uses 1/2 cup of pie filling for thumbprint cookies:
    https://www.edsmith.com/en/recipes/e.../#.XqggWWhKjIU

Back to cherry pie filling-cherry cheese flakies. Though it requires filo/phyllo pastry to make the cups, think pie pastry or tart shells would be ok instead. Plus you can use the cream cheese for this recipe!

Actually found a no-bake cherry cheesecake bar recipe from E.D. Smith: https://www.edsmith.com/en/recipes/n.../#.XqggFmhKjIU

Or fruit hand pies: https://www.edsmith.com/en/recipes/f.../#.XqggmGhKjIU

Or these parfaits: https://www.edsmith.com/en/recipes/i.../#.XqgguWhKjIU
    Giseledta and Angela273 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Who took the promised sunny Tuesday weather in southern Ontario and stuck in rain this morning? I was not ready for the rain today. The garlic will be happy to get the rain in the garden. Tomorrow's rain will be a soaker though. I have two pails I could set outside to collect rain for watering flowers and garlic...

One distant hardware store has one unit of the fluorescent fixture with plastic cover (other locations have 0 units) I'd need to replace the basement unit. Gave current unit fresh duct tape as last year's tape has caused major sagging at the taped end and adhesive was drying out. Did not to risk a possible cover drop behind me as I use the computer(unlikely that my warranty would cover a damaged screen due to plastic shards from a drop behind me). The new tape should buy me a few more weeks of serenity or I'll be applying more tape soon. I've realized that while relabelling the plastic drawers in the workshop might be a good idea, it'd be easier to switch some drawer positions to put the more often used items at the top and lesser used items at the bottom. Will give myself two minutes this morning to do the switch.

I'll watch the free movie (The Napping Princess, via Japan Foundation Toronto website is available until mid-evening April 30) later in the day. Errands must be done in the morning. The kitchen floor could use a quick washing and the cupboard doors a wipedown. One of the brooms will be used to take down cobwebs in corners in the basement. There will be tea breaks, of course.

Time to collect the garbage bin and get ready to do a walk! Enjoy the fresh air and beach-swept hair, everyone!
    Giseledta and coupon girl like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

This post gave me a chuckle as just last night Mom and I were discussing maybe making a cheesecake as a treat.

I have seen a lot of dump recipes using pie filing and boxed cake mix to make a cake. I have never tried them but they are all over Pinterest.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I have some cans of cherry pie filling in my pantry and they are getting close to their best by date. I’m going to use one can as the filling for my oatmeal fruit bars. I could bake a cheese cake, but we really wouldn’t use much of the pie filling as the sauce with it.
    Recipe suggestions?

edit: How do you think thumb print cookies would turn out if I used cherry pie filling instead of the jam?
    Giseledta, barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Came across a cheery kids' garden tool set (discontinued?) on Homedepot.ca. Would love that watering can!
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/gar...can/1001040595

Perfect for a rainy or sunny day. Quest for secondhand version to start.
    Giseledta likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning! Chilly damp day here too. Glad we cleaned out our vehicles last night in the sunshine!

I should get my bed sheets in the wash now. Get something accomplished!
    Giseledta, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Ok I finally got rolling. All clean laundry put away. My bedding in the washer now. Stripped DS' bed and his will go in next.

Kitchen is clean. Thinking easy dinner of the chicken/burger patties with oven fries (to use up the buns while still fresh. And ceaser salad since I have 6 romaine hearts to use up!! Will tidy up the fridge while cooking dinner and see what the plan is for tomorrow night.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Recipe suggestions?
    I just checked the pantry
    1x can of blueberry pie filling
    1x can of apple pie filling - want to turn into a pie
    3x cans of cherry pie filling
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Good day all
    Light rain here. Just came back from walking my dog.
    My kitchen is clean nowI will put. The laundry away and after that think I am going to make panzerotti for lunch for my DDs have some homage pizza dough in the fridge that needs to used up . It will be deep fried.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Recipe suggestions?
    @Angela273

Do you have any frozen phyllo dough? That would make some tasty flaky turnovers?

babies teach us acceptance

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Afternoon-washed the other set of sheets today from the double bed (spare room bed)

I just checked my credit card statement and yes fortinos did give me a -10.00 return ,due to a mistake of 3.49 missing item,plus they substituted a few more items ,back a few pickups ago.She said it was a nice gesture to do as items should not be missing ,they are swamped she said with online orders .

This week I am only going 6 days inbetween grocery orders I switched over to Walmart (I will see how that pickup is gonna go )

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Time to grocery shop today as last night was a strange concoction of celery, tomatoes, steak and kraft dinner all together in a bowl. My fridge is bare, so will venture to Fortinos.

While Walmart may have great prices, I found the one on Fairview street in Burlington lax on corona hygiene and social distancing, as well as the credit card terminals not cleaned regularly (they don't have tap), I wasn't surprised when I read that an employee from that store now has Covid 19.

Fortinos and Food Basics is much better at social distancing in my opinion.

Still waiting for my Clinique and Ebay order. I was impressed with the book outlet - they ship out of Thorold, Ontario. Ordered a book with shipping for $10.82 versus Amazon & Indigo's $32 price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    @Angela273
    Do you have any frozen phyllo dough? That would make some tasty flaky turnovers?
    Unfortunately I don’t think that I’ve ever bought frozen phyllo dough.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I received a text message from a daycare parent this morning, she isn’t coming today. This actually means that I have no daycare kids today, which is a nice surprise. One daycare child left my care yesterday due to financial problems. They are very happy with my services, but can not afford it right now. She might return to my care if things turn around for their family.

I’ve been keeping up on the laundry. Our kids have been spending a few hours outside each day. We spent some time doing yard work again this morning. The composter isn’t ready to be emptied yet...unfortunately I think it won’t be ready in time to be mixed into my soil before planting. I could always try to add some to the garden when the compost is ready later in the summer.

We filled out and mailed the forms to the school in order to formally register our twins for Kindergarten in the fall.
    Last edited by Angela273; Tue, Apr 28th, 2020 at 04:22 PM.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Unfortunately I don’t think that I’ve ever bought frozen phyllo dough.
    Frozen puff pastry works fine for turnovers, danishes, strudels and similar, and IMO is considerably easier to work with than phyllo. The main thing to watch for is how watery the pie filling is. In general, the thicker the better when used as pastry filling.
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread Information