User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By vino_er_coach
  • 2 Post By crafter

Thread: How can this happen???

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just moved and have to return my old modem from my previous internet provider.

While going through the verification process, they asked me the name of the other person authorized on my account.

Ummmm.....no one else has EVER been authorized to make changes for any of my other accounts. I pay the bills, I am the boss.
    This account in particular, I have had for like 10 years!

So, we went through the other steps, I got everything sorted that I needed to.

At the end, I asked for the name of the other person on my account. I have literally NEVER heard this name before in my life!

So, the rep made a report about it so they can look into it. I checked my other account that I have with them to make sure no one else has access to it. Luckily they don’t.

So, I called Equifax and had them put a potential fraud alert on my credit for 6 years
    so that no one can do this again.

I have no idea if someone actually tried to do it or if it was an error made by my previous provider. Either way, I am pi$$ed beyond being pi$$ed at the moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

@vino_er_coach hmm it may just be a glitch with formatting. With BCE years ago and Cogeco, we've always had a secondary on the account. i.e in DHs name but I can call in and change channel selection or packages. What I couldn't do when we were moving tho was to cxl our account with BCE, I literally had to hand the phone to DH beside me for his approval. So I was ticked from a different perspective. Hope everything checks out ok with your accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by vino_er_coach View Post
    I just moved and have to return my old modem from my previous internet provider.

While going through the verification process, they asked me the name of the other person authorized on my account.

Ummmm.....no one else has EVER been authorized to make changes for any of my other accounts. I pay the bills, I am the boss.
    This account in particular, I have had for like 10 years!

So, we went through the other steps, I got everything sorted that I needed to.

At the end, I asked for the name of the other person on my account. I have literally NEVER heard this name before in my life!

So, the rep made a report about it so they can look into it. I checked my other account that I have with them to make sure no one else has access to it. Luckily they don’t.

So, I called Equifax and had them put a potential fraud alert on my credit for 6 years
    so that no one can do this again.

I have no idea if someone actually tried to do it or if it was an error made by my previous provider. Either way, I am pi$$ed beyond being pi$$ed at the moment!

3.50 125.00 30.00

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well, after looking at my bill, I noticed a few inconsistencies. My previous address is not on the bill as it use to be.

I lived in a townhouse, and the address was different than all my other bills. It did not have the type of road listed after the street name and instead of having my unit number then the street number as I had it, it just had the street number and then said “Townhouse” and the unit number on a separate line.

Also, the last time I called them, when I went through verification, they did not ask for another name on the account for verification purposes, this time they did.

As well, my new address was given to the provider, and I have received mail from them, however this time, my old address was listed on the account, so someone has also changed it back. I am getting tempted to contact my previous complex manager to see if the name listed on the account corresponds with anyone else in the complex and if so, will be contacting the police.

These inconsistencies lead me to believe that there was someone in my previous complex that tried to get added to my account so that they could jump off of my account somehow and get service under my name.

crafter likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

@vino_er_coach Yikes that's creepy for sure. You were smart to contact Equifax and definitely sounds like the police should be contacted too
    Tweets77 and vino_er_coach like this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Thread Information