User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By tjthemanto
  • 1 Post By Anna Michele
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: New EI type program coming when CERB gets over - Coming soon.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

CERB is winding down soon. After that those who qualify for regular EI will be just moved that. But for others who don't qualify for EI and CERB is also over a NEW EI type program is coming.

--+--------++------

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ing-today.html

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the government will create a transitional benefit to help workers who exhaust emergency pandemic aid and don’t qualify for employment insurance.
    The $80-billion Canada Emergency Response Benefit is set to wind down over the coming weeks, with those who are EI-eligible to move onto that separate program.
    Speaking this morning, Trudeau says many people who don’t qualify for the program, such as gig or contract workers, will gain access to a transitional, parallel benefit that is similar to EI.
    It will also include access to training, and the ability to work more hours without having as steep a clawback in benefit payments, Trudeau says.
    He says more details will be unveiled at a later date.
    This thread is currently associated with: WIND Mobile
    Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Ty

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
    Ciel likes this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I am curious about the program.

I saw Inside Edition's repeat airing of the program that indicates that the US $600 fed aid per week program(in addition to whatever each state provides weekly to eligible residents) is about to stop but the replacement program is still being argued over by the two parties in Congress. That arguing is not going to help US residents who need the money for survival--nothing means lots will be out of house and more.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    2020-Money & Baby Yoda & summertime supply of Gatorade

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I am curious about the program.

I saw Inside Edition's repeat airing of the program that indicates that the US $600 fed aid per week program(in addition to whatever each state provides weekly to eligible residents) is about to stop but the replacement program is still being argued over by the two parties in Congress. That arguing is not going to help US residents who need the money for survival--nothing means lots will be out of house and more.
    Plus lot of
    Moratorium programs like deferred mortgages, property taxes, utilities bills, loans etc are coming to an end now. Banks and Insurance companies and Cities had deferred them for 6 months.

Now all of them are coming due with accrued compound interest. No jobs, no income, no CERB and very soon all deferred accumulated bills coming due!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Today's Toronto Star article:

On CERB and concerned about the move to EI next month? Here’s what we know so far

[COLOR=var(--emphasis-color)]ROSA SABA
    AUGUST 07, 2020[/COLOR]
    Rosa SabaAs laid-off Canadians receive their last payments from the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), many are wondering whether the government’s promised changes to the Employment Insurance (EI) program will be enough to keep them afloat.
    Those who have been continuously getting payments since March will see their benefits end as of August 29. Here are the answers to a few questions Canadians may be asking about the switch from CERB to EI, and where it leaves them.
    [COLOR=var(--emphasis-color)]Will I get less money on EI than on CERB?[/COLOR]
    Under the current structure of the EI program, most Canadians will get less than the $2,000 a month provided by CERB, said David Macdonald, a senior economist with the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.
    In a virtual press conference Thursday hosted by the Labour advocacy group Workers Action Centre, Macdonald said a handful of people will get more than CERB, but most will get significantly less if changes aren’t made to the percentage of lost income EI provides.
    Currently, EI provides 55 per cent of a worker’s average insurable earnings, to a maximum of $573 per week.
    [COLOR=var(--emphasis-color)]Will everyone be able to get EI?[/COLOR]
    Toronto labour lawyer John Hyde said while the government has promised to add an EI program for gig workers and contract workers, and relax the eligibility rules for EI, some Canadians will likely still be left behind.
    “I suspect that it won’t cover everybody. And I suspect they won’t get it right the first time,” he said, adding that he foresees a “multitude of changes” to the EI program before it covers everyone as promised.
    Macdonald said many workers who were able to get CERB will not be eligible for the current EI program if they haven’t worked enough hours. As well, he said workers who haven’t technically been laid off but who have had their hours cut could fall through the cracks because the EI program requires a record of employment to prove a person has lost their job.
    [COLOR=var(--emphasis-color)]How can I prepare for what’s coming?[/COLOR]
    Hyde said weathering the switch from CERB to EI will be problematic for those who don’t have savings, or who may not qualify for EI. All they can do right now is manage their budgets as best they can and pay attention as more information comes out from the government.
    Never miss the latest news from the Star, including up-to-date coronavirus coverage, with our email newsletters
    The government has promised some changes to the EI program, with more details to come at the end of August, such as relaxed eligibility rules.
    “They haven’t given us enough information at this point in time to know the mechanics of this process, and I’m hoping that their statement as to the increased simplicity and the inflexibility will come to fruition, because it’s certainly necessary,” Hyde said. “The majority of people who are in receipt of CERB actually need it, and they need it quickly.”

Thread Information