User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: President's Choice Senior Dog Food

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We are all familiar with the sizes of products being quietly reduced. Retailers have pretty uniformly said that consumers are more accepting of size reductions than of price increases. Well, I have just experienced an extreme case of price increase combined with a size reduction.

I am a user of PC Senior Dog Food and am very happy with it, as is my dog. I regularly pay $11.99 for a 3kg package, sometimes $9.99 on special. After several weeks with no Senior Dog Food on the shelves, the item has reappeared. It is now $13.99 for a 2kg bag. That means the cost of the product has increased from $4.00 per kg to $7.00 per kg or by 75%.
    Perhaps I am missing something. I have written to Loblaws and asked them for an explanation for this ENORMOUS price increase. Perhaps they think we have all won the lottery.
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws
    Ciel and alex78 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyboy546 View Post
    I am a user of PC Senior Dog Food and am very happy with it, as is my dog.
    Really... ? 🤨
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Aug 16th, 2020 at 07:45 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, I agree. Lots of prices going up during COVID. I don't know if the dog food ingredients are hard to source.

We noticed eggs, that use to be 1.88 at Shoppers weekend sales, are now 1.99 or up to 2.69. Also miss the 1.99 for 18 eggs deals that was a Fresco every 3 months or so.l
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    Really... ? 🤨
    Yes, really. We used to feed him regular PC dog food. It is excellent but in the last year he had regularly returning diarrhea. In the last three months on the senior version he has had no diarrhea, firm turdies, a very happy camper.
    Ciel and alex78 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, really. We used to feed him regular PC dog food. It is excellent but in the last year he had regularly returning diarrhea. In the last three months on the senior version he has had no diarrhea, firm turdies, a very happy camper.
    Sorry, I was Just having a bit of fun playing with your words... you said you were a user and were very happy with it. -- made it sound like you were consuming it yourself (and so is your dog)
    Ciel likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OP, that's rotten. It's especially difficult when the animals either decide to eat one thing or that's the only thing that works for them and you. As for the pricing, I guess we can tell where the limited time danger pay for Loblaw's staff is being recouped. I am also getting tired of the smaller sizes: anyone notice the 22 cheese slices and not 24? I also hate the multibuy scenarios: You want to pay $3.79 for Bubly water? Ok, hump three of them to your car, otherwise they are $4.99. And also we only have lime because nothing is in stock. The list goes on but I certainly feel your pain.
    Ciel and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here is the reply from Loblaws Superstore:

"Thank you for writing to us.

We recognize that consumers are constantly being challenged to do more with less, and as such we are absolutely committed to providing our customers with the widest assortment of products which offer great value at the lowest possible price. One example of this is our No Name brand, which is known for its quality and competitive pricing. Unfortunately, as with all manufacturers, we are not immune to the pressures of increasing production costs. Whenever possible, we do try to absorb the extra costs, but as you can appreciate there are instances where we are simply unable to do so. Similar to the rest of the food retail industry, any price increases you may have noticed have been due to industry-wide inflationary pressures; however our focus has remained on offering consistently lower prices.

We would like to assure you that we are committed to offering great value at low prices and we will continue to work diligently with our manufacturers to deliver on that promise as consistently as possible.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. We kindly ask that you do not delete or change the reference number in the subject line of this email.

Sincerely,

Superstore Customer Care

(866) 330-5590"

I have written back and asked them to confirm their costs to produce dog food have risen by 70%.
    Last edited by Buddyboy546; Wed, Aug 19th, 2020 at 07:27 AM. Reason: privacy
    Ciel likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That sucks..... feeding a dog oh here you go not just any brand any sized dog it would be age specific
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have written back and asked them to confirm their costs to produce dog food have risen by 70%.
    No surprise, I have received nothing further from Loblaws.
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

No surprise, I have received nothing further from Loblaws.
    Out of curiousity, do you get any PC pet food points offers through PC Optimum? The only workaround I can think of is if there is a multi-buy deal or points offers (or points redemption) that helps to offset the price hike.

Once last year, I recall PC putting a pet food coupon (or coupons) into a coupon insert booklet-cannot recall which one. Might be worth asking SCers if anyone using the PC Optimum app sees pet food offers on their weekly updates.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I really do not see the difference whether or not pet foods go on sale via PC Plus or otherwise. The base price has been raised by 70%. That is the issue.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I really do not see the difference whether or not pet foods go on sale via PC Plus or otherwise. The base price has been raised by 70%. That is the issue.
    Why not include some of the information you've covered in this thread and send a further inquiry off asking for courtesy gift cards in order to offset this increased cost? It might be worth an email.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the thought. My intent is not to get as much back off Loblaws by concerted effort. It is more to hold their feet to the fire for an unreasonable (and then some) increase in the product charge. Note they answered my well explained enquiry with a form reply saying price increases occur due to increased costs. They ignored my ensuing email request asking them to confirm costs to produce dog food have increased by 70%. It would be a waste of time sending further emails.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I noticed the same thing recently when I went to buy my usual PC dog food and it seemed like the bag was smaller, but I had nothing to compare it to until I got home and seen that the "old" bag was 3kg, but the new one was only 2kg, yet the price was higher. Getting the 7kg or higher sizes is the better deal now, but I don't like the sleazy tactics these companies use when doing this to consumers.

Same with the "buy 92 of X and save a buck" scam. I don't want 92, or 8, or even 2...I just want ONE! Why should I have to pay more? I used to hate when Superstore started doing that years ago, but now every store is on the wagon.

When Covid first started I got daily emails from the head of Loblaws, Galen, about all this great stuff they were doing to keep us safe, and he sounded just like a small store manager worried about his customers. It was kinda endearing, but then I found out he's actually a billionaire and he's getting richer in one of the few industries not hurt by the virus. People still gotta eat.

So, Galen, if you're reading this, instead of making billions off us poor folk just trying to survive, how bout you cut us a break on the cost of dog food by lowering the cost by the reduction in bag size? K, thanks!
    Last edited by sleepysheep; Wed, Nov 4th, 2020 at 11:46 PM.
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just to bring this up to date, my correspondence sent to Galen Weston was answered by a representative, Lisa. She asked for copies of the UPC codes for the product before and after the 70% price increase. On September 28 I sent the scans to her (yes, I had them) and waited for her promised reply.

I subsequently sent her several reminders. Each time she replied saying the matter was still being investigated. On November 5 she sent me the following:

"Dear Mr. X:

Thank you for your patience while we looked into this matter for you. I apologize for the delayed response.

We have heard back from our pricing team and the price of the PC Nutrition first products is under review since we have changed vendors.

With that being said, you will notice the price of this being reduced to $11.99. There are however still a few that are priced at 13.99.

This pricing is in alignment with all store. If you see a discrepancy, please let us know.

Because we have a new supplier and the formula has changed, this pricing is in line with recent changes.

Thank you for your feedback and patience while we looked into this matter.

Sincerely,
    Lisa Howell
    Superstore Customer Care
    (866) 330-5590 ext. 760714"

What a disappointment after such a long wait. I therefore replied today and left her with a final question:

"Thanks Lisa. I am sure you realize that an original price of $11.99 for 3kg now replaced by $11.99 for 2kg means the price increase is 50%. If that is the best that Loblaws can do for its customers it is a sad day. My question remains, since your original answer blamed rising production costs, are you still saying production costs have risen by 50%, really?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information