User Tag List

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ever since this debate discussion forum was introduced I have noticed alot of hard feelings going on. SC, before the forum was born was a more fun loving place to come and enjoy your visit now I am not so sure.

I stay away from this forum for more then one reason but the main reason is the annimosty that can come from debate and discussion because whether we want to admit it or not some things/opinions are going to offend some people and being on a computer is much harder to gauge a persons response rather then in person. Some are offended which results in people leaving the forum or disliking someone they may have liked before. Cliques also can form in these debate forums, not cool.

Yes I know if you do not like it do not read it but I also know how hard that can be. I use to be much more passionate with my opinions on forums but not anymore.... I have lost too many online friends over the years due to that position.

So sicne the inception of this debate forum do you feel SC is richer for it or poorer?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

We're human.
    Some feel strong about their opinions and passions.
    Bottom Line- respect eachothers opinion.
    I also think its good for the mind to have a good ole debate but being human having emotions our feelings can get hurt.
    welcome to the web world where the tone of one's "voice" is hard to gauge.
    Take things with a grain of salt.
    Long Live the Frogs!
    One busy Frog hoppin' along.....

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I just think it was a coincidence honestly.

There was other stuff that went on that had 0 to do with this forum, it all just coincided.

For the most part people have been respectful on here, of course theres some that always bend the rules but for the more part its been good.

This stuff was always discussed, but in the tea room. I'm happy its seperate.

We need to respect each other, and there opinions.

If I see any disprespect here I do talk to the mod of this section immediately. But alas I dont read everything on here.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can see you point.

I do enjoy these discussions, but I personally make an effort to assume that others are posting with the best of intentions, and assume when it's not clear that they're tone was meant to be respectful. I know though, that without voice, written word can often be misinterpreted either way.

I am fairly new to SC, although I've been around longer than this forum, since I started, there have been debates, and I certainly am glad that they are here, and not in the tea room anymore. I also see that the mods have been more aggressive with not allowing disrespect and attacks.

It's too bad, though, because that just makes more work for the mods, who are probably busy enough without having to babysit adult conversations.

I hope that everyone will read this thread, and that we will all keep things positive, even when we want to debate and disagree. And act our ages, so the mods don't have to keep chasing after us.

I know we're all guilty of getting a bit silly from time to time, but there's a difference b/w crossing the line from time to time without meaning to bother anyone, and jumping twelve miles past that fine line.
    Wins ~ $339.50 for 2008

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

if you're going to take part in a debate or discussion, you can't be overly sensitive about other people's opposing opinions.

Now if someone is just being vulgar and obscene, then that's a different issue.

If you get worked up over someone's post just because they stated something that was their opinion on the topic, then perhaps the offended person is just too touchy to be reading this section, because I personally haven't seen much of anything that was out of line.

The fun thing about this type of sharing of ideas and opinions is that you can be out there and say what you really think of something, and perhaps 'voice' opinions that you wouldn't normally share in face to face conversations. not because what you say is rude, but because we don't always say how we feel about a topic.

Of course most people try to be tactful when sharing opinions, but I'm sure there will always be a handful of people that get worked up over something.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I like this section. I feel I can voice my opinion in a polite way and not fear reprocussion from it. In the last month I was not happy with a certain users comments, but now that they have been banned I feel things are getting much better.
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

In my offline life, I work in an area where every word has to be measured, or it can be held against you, sometimes years down the road.

From personal experience, it is very difficult to communicate in writing in such a way that the reader will get the meaning of what you intend to say.

In some ways, separating hot topics away from the Tea Room and into "Debate" makes things calmer. In other ways, it gives license for personal attacks due to the anonymity of the Internet. My impression is that people take less time in phrasing their questions and answers in the excitement of participating in the debate. Then, if you reading more into the text than face value, a heated argument gets started off-topic and degenerates into personal attacks (real or perceived).

People should keep in mind that they "enter at their own risk" when participating in a debate - provided that the risk is to have their personal opinion questioned, and not their personal integrity.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I feel there are certain topics that should be taboo; i.e. the abortion/murder one.
    I don't think this is the place to discuss this. Religion and moral/ethical issues are too 'hot button' issues and without the benefit of seeing someone's body language, hearing their tone of voice, etc, I thinkit is a Pandora's box only the foolish would tempt to open.
    There are SO many valid and relevant topics to discuss/debate; and there is a difference between the two. For debates, very strict rules need to be outlined.

This is 'Smart Canucks'. Yes, we know we are smart, but let's be wise. Can we please focus on issues that can HELP eachother? There are inifinite websites where 'hot topics' can be debated, and personally I'd prefer they not be debated here.

And THAT is my opinion

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I'm not really going to read or post in this section anymore, theres one too many members with low posts counts being inappropriate and it's just not worth it. If theres a debate that treads in low waters ill participate.

Last edited by Sally888; Mon, Sep 8th, 2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: cucumber concubine

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I personally don't like this section. I wish it would just go away. lol
    I agree with a lot of Aprils points.
    Of course, I have to read it and it's really hard to remain aloof since some topics touch deeply, but I'm doing a good job I think...
    I do not mind discussion. I live with the debate king. however what I find offending is when people use stereotypical non-fact within their arguments. I would dearly love to quote to show you what I mean. But I'd be centering out people and I do not want to do that.
    I enjoy FACTUAL light discussion. It seems most don't do that here. It's a load of fluff with a fact here and there.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like this sub-forum; I've always liked a good debate. This section should really have a different tone from most of the rest of the site, since it's supposed to be a little more serious. If you say something stupid here, then you should expect to be taken to task for it. If you're going to be easily offended by the content here, then there's still about 99% of the site that you might like better.

(Keep in mind that I am in no way responsible for moderating this site; I'm only making suggestions, not site policy.)
    73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

Thread Information