User Tag List

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree1621Likes

Thread: February Frugal Chatter

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I just got back from fortinos (decided to shop there this week as they had more specials and i wanted to use some points up)I spent $143-40 in points so i paid $103 and i only bought a ham 12.99 and deli meat in that order so groceries are going up in price .

some deals
    I got reduced brocollii for 1.99 2 bunches so i will freeze it
    scopped a box of chapmans ice cream 3.99
    large smuckers blueberry spread 2.99-1.00 cpn=1.99
    bag of caramel valentines chocolates reduced .99 a bag -so yummy
    bag of 3 romaine was 3.99 (i havent seen it that price in awhile)
    a lemon pie 4.99 -50%=2.50 a treat for hubby and i -as we all need treats in this time,right.

noticed i got charged double for the gum so i will get back my 3.99 next time i go in .
    barbis9, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    I got reduced brocollii for 1.99 2 bunches so i will freeze it
    I've tried to freezed broccoli and cauliflower, but I don't like the effect it has on their texture when I defrost to cook. I don't find them very firm.

Has anyone else noticed this effect? If so, any ideas how to prevent it? Am I missing something in the freezing process?
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It's great you tried to freeze them. Companies usually flash freeze so if you're doing at home, I'd suggest blanching and put on a baking sheet in freezer first before bagging it. I find even store bought brocc and cauliflower can be a bit soggy, I've actually had good success steaming frozen ...not sure if you're supposed to but it works better than boiling.
    Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    I've tried to freezed broccoli and cauliflower, but I don't like the effect it has on their texture when I defrost to cook. I don't find them very firm.

Has anyone else noticed this effect? If so, any ideas how to prevent it? Am I missing something in the freezing process?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    I'd suggest blanching and put on a baking sheet in freezer first before bagging it. I find even store bought brocc and cauliflower can be a bit soggy, I've actually had good success steaming frozen ...not sure if you're supposed to but it works better than boiling.
    Aha! My mother does that (blanching); which explains why her veggies seem to come out of the freezer in better condition than mine. Thanks!
    Last edited by HermanH; Fri, Feb 19th, 2021 at 06:44 PM.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

How quickly do they freeze in your freezer? The longer it takes, the more cell damage occurs, which means more mushiness. Basically, home freezers take much too long to produce results that are comparable to commercially-frozen broc or cauli.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Evening Everyone,
    I feel like this week got away from me a bit, I mean I know today was Friday but I have not done any of my weekend prep yet. I do not have a Meal Plan, I do not have my Meal Prep list or my To-Do-List for next week.

Went to the doc, quick and easy in and out appointment. I was back in my car and headed home by 9:30 (the time of my appointment).

Laundry is done, washed, dried & folded, just need to put it away now. Will put it away before bed.

Still feeling anxious, next week is going to be a super busy week for me, our new hire is starting a week early so I need to fit them into to my already busy schedule. Plus my boss emailed me my performance review will be next week as well.

My plan is no shopping this week but the following week I will do a big Costco shop which I hope will take us through March and most of April. We do have a bit of a Costco list but hoping it will be smaller than my last shop. A lot of what I bought on my last shop was stock up items that will last us anywhere from 6 to 12 months. This shop should mostly be day to day items we need, some meat, dairy, produce and then there are a few stock up items we will need and a couple pharmacy items.

Off to plan next week, I need a meal plan, meal prep list and to-do-list.

Have a great night everyone
    Giseledta, Ciel and crafter like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

i hear ya on the ... the week got away from me...
    i am having a struggle during the day... and i need to figure out how to resolve it. .... i have most ofthe day into a good routine... but this one period.. means.. i actually end up working for a extra hour after work just to get things done.... and it means... i am exhusted....
    i will figure it out.

tomorrow is rcss .. big shop. not a huge one.. but a weird odds and ends one.

i started working on the menu plan... i have a solid plan for the daycare. .. and a good plan for housework for the weekend...
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

hi everyone i find steaming way better than boiling for the brocolli ,as i boiled some the other night and it turned soggy but steaming is great .
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Saskatchewan power rate is 15c/kWh. No change for Tim’s of day, etc.

I don’t remember how much other people said they were paying in Ontario, etc.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Feb 19th, 2021 at 11:25 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Blanching will help preserve the texture. I cook most frozen veg without thawing first & that seems to help. Also cutting it smaller & freezing in a shallow layer on a sheet pan before bagging will make it freeze faster, also preserving the texture.
    If you use broccoli in stir-fries, try pre-cutting it in thin angled slices across the stem before freezing. Just throw the frozen slices in the hot pan as if they were fresh.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks to everyone for all their helpful hints.
    Giseledta, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Feel like I am in a bit of a fog this morning, not sure why I slept last night. Although for some odd reason my sinuses are really bugging me this morning.
    @Angela273 currently Ontario is 8.5 cent/kwh all the time until Monday when the Stay-At-Home order lifts. Then we either go back to TOU or Tiered depending on which one your household selected.

I finished off my Meal Plan for the week this morning, a lot of nice options for next week. Now to see what I can prep ahead.

Now I need to stop yawning, get out of this fog and see where this day will take me

Have a great day everyone.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Just back from grocery shopping-No Frills has the Costco olive oil on cheaper-only 4.97 per litre for members. Pork butt roast was 1.00/lb so making pulled pork on homemade buns tonight. Glad to see I can book my Mum's Covid shots next week-she will turn 89 next month so it will be great to have her protected. Relaxing and warm weekend at home with DH and DD.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Now it’s my turn to venture into the stores to do some Christmas returns. Wish me luck. I also need new soda stream canisters so it actually works out as I have a Marks return and out Marks is inside one of our Canadian tire stores. Younger son got a haircut just in time as he has grad photos Tuesday. I think I will make a hair appointment as it’s been 5 months. My stylist left her salon in the 1st lockdown and built a studio at home. So it’s much safer and I discovered she lives in my neighbourhood. The boys go to her now as well. I will also freely admit I am getting my nails done today. I have bio gels that I just can’t maintain on my own and they are almost 10 weeks old. They are my one indulgence and make me so happy. I think I will pick a spring colour like blue or green.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did an evening walk to Value Village, Lowes and Longos. Ancaster Value Village must have flipped some depts around after the Dec.20 closure just before Christmas or this past weekend because: the fitting rooms are gone and the electronics/sporting goods are now on the front corner and nearby, the electrical accessories are on pegs where the totes/small handbags used to reside (the bags have been moved down the wall). Menswear has moved more to the back as bedding/towels/fabric rack have moved to centre back of store. Books have moved back some as well-I noticed wider aisles. Guess fitting rooms are gone for good? Have to check back corner to be sure. Personal care item pegged bags are still near the restroom doors. The one wall is now mostly men's and women's and kids' accessories. I did not look at most items in detail-just strolled down the cardigans/sweater aisle (now on far side of womenswear as when you enter, the power aisle is now stocked with dresses for summer). I managed about 10min of looking in the last 15min of store open hour so that was good.

Lowes-recycled the sandwich bag of AAs (their bin was full) and looked around a bit. McKenzie Seeds are 1/2 price (reg.3.29) until Feb. 24! Only saw one pk of yard waste bags in the garbage can aisle but associate did a stock lookup and there are hundreds of bags in the outdoor garden area (did not venture there). Will be back for bags soon!

Longos-did a walk through of favourite areas. Noticed a stock shift or two in the breakfast cereal aisle-all jams/spreads are at the back of aisle right before the Quaker instant oatmeal products. The former jam shelves now hold the tetras of almond and alternative beverages. They must have shifted the cereals up to the front to take up the former tetra space on their side. Did not see any Diet Coke Extra bottles in the cooler by the Personal Touch counter. Did a walk down the pop aisle, then the chip aisle-did still see Ruffles and Tostitos bags with the buy 3 products and get 1 free Pepsico 6pk bev coupon stickers (they expire in May). I went to the clearance section and did not understand why there are bottles of Palmolive original Ultra sitting there. Very few baked items; mostly processed items and a few random seasonal treats marked down.

Yesterday was a fun morning-I watched a repeat of Marilyn's show featuring Jamie Oliver's visit last year and 4 of his recipes (keen to try the reverse puff pastry pizza), then Ricardo making a long-process broth for a pho dish. Capped off by watching 5 chefs Dans Ma Cuisine for a few minutes-guest chef and host were deboning whole chickens.

I am feeling achy joints from my walk. The snow is falling softly and in small flake form, but body says it's time for a mug of hot goodness and warmth (like back to bed and a book). Not a fan of this joint pain.

Mom did some food shopping two days ago so we seem set into early next week for foods (but not sweets-I will think of something because I won't make the strawberry Jello. Will see if Bro will get Poptarts at Walmart).

Re: cleaning tasks one avoids-dusting or vaccuuming my room is an issue. When I opened the window yesterday for some air, I decided the furniture needed that wood cleaner that smells so good. That's about the only time I do the cleaning. My mattress set is old and there are so many spidery strands from the underside of the foundation that any vacuum passes involves tugs of war with said strands and the suction on the vacuum cleaner. I am noticing spidery webs on tops of walls in too many places and I need to attach my microfiber cloth to the Vileda mop pole to do a rough cleaning when I'm not feeling achy. It can seem like walls are fine then once I see a spidery web, I find more and not just in corners.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information