• 1 Post By GoodBoy
  • 1 Post By GoodBoy
  • 2 Post By Ciel21
  • 1 Post By Ciel21

Thread: Freezer On the Bottom Pros and Cons

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi Everyone , My fridge Is Toast It should have gone last year when I replaced the stove but I thought I might get a bit more time out of it It is old and big and I can't move it for love or money . I would really like to get a freezer on the bottom fridge as having the fridge item more at eye level appeal to me . So Who has one what are the pros and cons that I might not have considered ?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel21 likes this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a Miele fridge. Fridge on top, Freezer on the bottom. Much nicer configuration as you say. Cannot think of any pros nor cons, we just really like the fridge and the configuration. Oh and make sure you get a built in ice-maker!
    Ciel21 likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We have a freezer on the bottom, we love it as we are in the fridge more than we are in the freezer. I find it helps as npw the fridge is more at eye level and it helps with our food waste because nothing gets tossed to the bottom of the fridge and missed, especially produce.
    GoodBoy and Ciel21 like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Was there a thermodynamic reason freezers were traditionally atop the refridgerator?

I think that cold air drops from the freezer compartment. So, a freezer on the bottom might need to work harder to force cold air up into the refridgerator.
    Ciel21 likes this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cold air is not forced up into the refrigerator portion on my system. I have two separate motors. One for fridge. One for freezer. Thinking cold air would be pushed up makes no sense to me. Even with a freezer on top I doubt very much cold air drops into the fridge portion. That too makes no sense to me.

Happy to be educated on this if any links for reading
    Last edited by GoodBoy; Sun, Jul 11th, 2021 at 06:17 PM.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

https://www.brayandscarff.com/blog/t...ottom-freezer/

Energy EfficiencyWinner: Top FreezerIn general, top freezers are more energy efficient than bottom freezers. The reason goes back to the original freezer design which featured a top-mounted compressor. This compressor which generates heat while working hard to cool the fridge and freezer compartments is tucked away underneath the unit in modern refrigerators. Therefore, a bottom freezer is closer to the compressor and forces it to work harder to keep cool whereas a top freezer is further away making it easier to keep heat out with less effort. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, top freezers use about 10-25% less energy than bottom freezers which equals you saving money and reduces your carbon footprint.
    Ciel21 likes this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That could very well be but with many new units including my unit I have two compressors. So the statement does not apply with a unit with two compressors. Does it? He does not address that. Also I would rather read something official rather than somebody saying what he believes New units these days do not necessarily work as that link says... my unit is a prime example.

We were not speaking energy efficiency either if I recall. it was the statement you made about cold air being pushed into the fridge.

Do you have a link saying that cold air will sink from top freezer to bottom fridge or be forced from bottom freezer to top fridge? That is what I am really interested in reading.

Comments from that person about energy efficiency are not necessarily valid given the myriad of technologies out there. Old technology may work that way. Cannot say a system with two compressors does work that way and he does not address that at all. Also to do an apples to apples comparison for energy efficiency, a blanket statement cannot be done. You need to compare the sizes of the units I would think and features therein. No?

Here is an EnergyStar link where you can choose your size etc and do comparisons. If I chose 15-17.9 CuFt and sorted by energy the bottom freezer wins in that measurement. So in the end I do not think blanket statements can be made, as there are many variable to take into account. Different sizes may show different results. My 2-cents anyway as I am very happy with my two-compressor bottom freezer

https://www.energystar.gov/productfi...r=5&lastpage=5

Thanks for further links on the cold air movement topic however. I look forward to those.
    Last edited by GoodBoy; Sun, Jul 11th, 2021 at 07:58 PM.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@Keelenorth - the link provided by HermanH does have an interesting comparison you may find useful for some items between the two types of fridges. Not sure I would ever keep a 30lb turkey in a freezer in a fridge, but that is my choice! LOL

Bottom line is there are likely pros and cons to each configuration and in the end it may all depend on your requirements of size, options, etc. the EnergyStar link in my previous post may help with the energy ratings of any items you are looking at. Make sure to click on Canada in the filters as it defaults to USA.

Otherwise I go with what my father always said, get the best you can afford. We were originally hesitant to go with Miele due to a higher cost, but loved the system and features and having had a Miele DW we knew of the German workmanship. We have not been disappointed. Again it all depends on what your needs are and how many 30lb turkeys you need to put in your fridge and freezer! LOL

Good luck with your decision!
    Last edited by GoodBoy; Sun, Jul 11th, 2021 at 08:03 PM.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If the old fridge cannot be moved out, then maybe look into a standalone upright freezer for a corner of the house not occupied by an appliance. And a separate fridge for the kitchen.
    Or maybe it's time to reno the kitchen so you can pry that fridge out, take the door off and call friends/neighbours or appliance firm to take the unit out for bulk pickup collection at the curb (city bills your property tax bill for pickup and usually you have to call in the request one week prior to your usual collection day).

Do visit the Consumer Reports reviews via your local library's online resources to check out what they tested for bottom-mount freezer fridges.
    Then if budget is an issue, consider scoping out fridges at your big box retailer as-is or discontinued/on clearance with as many features as you want. Goemans and Teppermans and TA Appliances.
    https://www.goemans.com/home/clearan...rder=Ascending

If you have a second-hand appliance store in your area, give the shop a call and inquire about whether any units are in-stock and arrange a visit.
    GoodBoy and HermanH like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There's a Euro-Line appliances discount for in-store purchases (15% off) until August 31. Not available online. Liebherr, Gorenje, Smeg and a couple of others. Click on promotions tab.

If you win the Lotto Max jackpot, I'm sure the Dream Coach would rave about this small $17K undercounter fridge (no freezer)!
    https://www.goemans.com/home/kitchen...er/SMEG500GRUS
    GoodBoy likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@Keelenorth Have you been able to decide on the likely replacement fridge/freezer unit? Decisions, decisions.

Thread Information