• 2 Post By HermanH
  • 2 Post By walkonby
  • 3 Post By Ciel21
  • 1 Post By HermanH
  • 1 Post By walkonby

Thread: Food Preservation-- Rice

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

When you see a good deal on rice, it's a good idea to store it properly so you don't get sick. According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)

Dry white rice has a shelf life of up to 2 years, while brown rice keeps up to 6 months. Signs of expired rice include holes in the packaging, bugs, water, and mold. Brown rice may become rancid, oily, or discolored.
    and

Cooked rice lasts for about 4 days in the fridge or 8 months in the freezer. Expired rice may have an unpleasant smell, gooey texture, or mold.
    Eating expired rice
    Mold contamination in expired rice may lead to mycotoxin intake, which may be detrimental to your health. Also, non-expired rice that’s poorly handled may lead to food poisoning from Bacillus cereus.

Food poisoning symptoms and dangers

Mycotoxin intake is linked to symptoms that range from vomiting, nausea, and abdominal pain to convulsions, coma, an increased risk of cancer, and a weak immune system (4, 5).
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Natalka, walkonby and Ciel21 like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@Shwa Girl We no longer need to stock up on rice like in the past, BUT I just bought 2 x 10 lb bags of a long grain Basmati Rice called Parliament Gold....because of a sale.
    My usual brand, which is Tilda was close to $17.00 for the 10 lb bag, these were $8.97 each at FB.
    I cooked some up last week and it 's way better!

Ty for this info about spoilage, storage, etc. I just never considered rice as posing any danger to us. I've double checked the 2nd bag ( which stays in the stockroom ) for any holes, the bags are thick and foil lined and have a resealable top once opened.
    The first bag was emptied into 2 large airtight containers which are in the kitchen cupboards.
    Ciel21 likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    @Shwa Girl We no longer need to stock up on rice like in the past, BUT I just bought 2 x 10 lb bags of a long grain Basmati Rice called Parliament Gold....because of a sale.
    My usual brand, which is Tilda was close to $17.00 for the 10 lb bag, these were $8.97 each at FB.
    I cooked some up last week and it 's way better!
    My mother likes Gold Mountain, so I got her a 40lb bag for 32 dollars. (We tried Rooster brand once, but she didn't like the coarseness and never figured out how to get it to cook to her satisfaction. Unfortunately, Rooster only comes in big bags and it took forever to use it up, as my mother refuses to waste anything.)

Of course, as soon as I bought the 40lb bag, RCSS cleared out some 2lb No Name long grain bags for $0.94 each. So, I learned my lesson from the Rooster fiasco and grabbed one to try and my mother deemed them satisfactory. I cleaned out their clearance rack and doubled her supply. She only eats 1lb every three weeks. I reckon her supply to last for the next 80 weeks!
    walkonby and Ciel21 like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@HermanH I totally agree about the quality of Rooster brand. years a go a coworker recommended it to me and I also bought one of those large bags. UGH!! Took forever to use it up and at that time the house was fuller ( more mouths to feed ) .
    HermanH and Ciel21 like this.

Smart Canuck
    [vbp_tr_most_helpful_today]
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh wow, that No Name rice deal! I just bought that same bag full price at Fortinos last week (cry, cry). But I love having it on hand after a month plus without any long grain rice in the house.

Expired rice-yes, if it's slimy in the fridge, it gets binned. If I cooked rice with some spice, I don't worry if it's still in the fridge a week later. I sometimes heat it up with whatever random sauce I find and toss in sliced veggies or frozen ones and a bit of water.

Huge sacks of rice-have not had that scenario in a few years but there was that one big bag I seemed to be the only using it up and it took forever and the rice was not so nice. That's why I give Bro plenty of side eye whenever he buys Costco packs of any food item. Don't want to get space taken up with something unproven or likely to linger like the half-bags *large ones* of prunes or dates in a food drawer. If I toss those bags out (I have asked several times), Mom will wage war on me.
    Natalka, walkonby and HermanH like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel21 View Post
    Expired rice-yes, if it's slimy in the fridge, it gets binned. If I cooked rice with some spice, I don't worry if it's still in the fridge a week later. I sometimes heat it up with whatever random sauce I find and toss in sliced veggies or frozen ones and a bit of water.
    Good idea. If you eat lots of soup or canned stuff, adding a handful of rice really helps to expand the meal and the soup/sauces easily conceal any noticeable taste from the rice.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Freshco is offering Mr. Goudas White Long Grain Rice 8 kg for $5, which is about 51 cents/lb. That's a decent price. Anyone tried the brand? I dread having to plow through an 8kg bag, if it isn't tasty.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    Freshco is offering Mr. Goudas White Long Grain Rice 8 kg for $5, which is about 51 cents/lb. That's a decent price. Anyone tried the brand? I dread having to plow through an 8kg bag, if it isn't tasty.
    Never bought Mr. Gouda's brand of rice, but every other product I've used of theirs I can recommend. A gamble to buy such a large bag. Good luck.
    HermanH likes this.

Thread Information