User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By crafter
  • 2 Post By bhlombardy

Thread: Best Buy or Amazon.ca for Electronics?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Hello

I want to purchase an Oculus VR Quest 2 for out Family for Christmas. What is the best way?
    Are there opportunities to get points/rewards on purchasing gift cards from either place etc.?
    Thanks for any info
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

ShopperWho I've never experienced Amazon offering a discount on their gift cards. I would suggest keeping an eye out for gift card deals at Shoppers, Loblaws, Sobey's etc. Black Friday and Cyber Monday would be a fantastic time to make your purchases online (even if picking it up in person at Best Buy).
    I highly recommend looking at extra cashback deals on Rakuten on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. You can save money buying through merchants you normally shop with online.

They usually offer 0 to 1% for Best Buy and Amazon but at times like black Friday... either can offer a higher cashback up eg 5- 10%. I you shop via Rakuten, they still bring you through to the vendors site where you can you your gift cards. If you have a best buy rewards card, you can theoretically double dip.

Here's my Rakuten referral link if you're interested https://www.rakuten.ca/referrer?refe...J4%3D&src=Link

Finally, Best Buy has a price match guarantee within 30 days of purchase to save even more money
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/help/pa...rice-guarantee

Good luck
    Last edited by crafter; Sun, Oct 24th, 2021 at 06:38 PM.
    anisa and barbis9 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@shopperwho

I wouldn't bank on either one having a promo on gift cards. Both would be quite rare.

I also wouldn't bank on the Oculus VR Quest 2 going on sale, TBH. They're not really an item that would be reduced. (checking the price history on the 128 and 256gb models, the price has never dropped on either model)

As Crafter mentions, Best Buy might give you some better piece of mind as you can always get your price corrected if it goes on sale within 30-days -- either from them, OR a competitor's price, they'll price-match it.

NOW, if you wait until next week, Best Buy will MOST LIKELY begin their extended holiday returns policy. (it usually starts around now... maybe Nov.1) Instead of a 30-day price-guarantee, you'll have a return window into mid-January. --- But check their site in a few days. (CLICK HERE) -- currently it's still stating LAST year's policy, but I suspect it will update if/when it goes into effect this year. So keep checking if you dont see 2021/2022 dates.

All that said... Black Friday sales don't apply to price correction... but that's fine. Here's the game-plan: If you buy it now (to secure one) and it goes on sale on Black Friday (or anytime between now and Christmas for that matter), just buy it again. Don't argue with them about price corrections. Then return the original one you paid full price for with the original receipt... you will (probably) have until mid-January.

Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Nov 6th, 2021 at 04:09 PM.
    anisa and barbis9 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    @shopperwho

I wouldn't bank on either one having a promo on gift cards. Both would be quite rare.

I also wouldn't bank on the Oculus VR Quest 2 going on sale, TBH. They're not really an item that would be reduced. (checking the price history on the 128 and 256gb models, the price has never dropped on either model)

As Crafter mentions, Best Buy might give you some better piece of mind as you can always get your price corrected if it goes on sale within 30-days -- either from them, OR a competitor's price, they'll price-match it.

NOW, if you wait until next week, Best Buy will MOST LIKELY begin their extended holiday returns policy. (it usually starts around now... maybe Nov.1) Instead of a 30-day price-guarantee, you'll have a return window into mid-January. --- But check their site in a few days. (CLICK HERE) -- currently it's still stating LAST year's policy, but I suspect it will update if/when it goes into effect this year. So keep checking if you dont see 2021/2022 dates.

All that said... Black Friday sales don't apply to price correction... but that's fine. Here's the game-plan: If you buy it now (to secure one) and it goes on sale on Black Friday (or anytime between now and Christmas for that matter), just buy it again. Don't argue with them about price corrections. Then return the original one you paid full price for with the original receipt... you will (probably) have until mid-January.
    I stand Corrected... this year Best Buy WILL do price corrections on Black Friday... see HERE

Black Friday Price Guarantee -- Early Black Friday Deals: Products indicated as “Black Friday Price Now”, will be priced at the same price for the start of the Best Buy Black Friday Sale or on Black Friday, November 26, 2021. If Best Buy lowers the price during the Black Friday Sale, Best Buy will refund the difference in price. If the price does go lower, you can follow the steps under the “Requesting a Price Match” section to request a refund of the difference.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Nov 6th, 2021 at 04:10 PM.

Thread Information