User Tag List

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree1695Likes

Thread: February Frugal Chatter 2022

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

@cath007 I try to stick to $150/ week for 2 people but last shop was $170 BUT it did last more than a week so I’m happy about that.

We eat ZERO meat and dairy.

Our shopping only consists of :
    beans, lentils, rice couscous, quinoa, pasta.

Veg/fruit:
    potatoes (reg and sweet), yams, onions, garlic, green onions, various squash (love spaghetti and butternut), kale, tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, mushrooms….
    LOTS of bananas and apples

These are price dependant. For example sweet potatoes were on for 1.99/lb ( seen over $2/lb) but refused to buy them until WM had them for .64C/lb.

Pasta has to be .97c-$1/ box
    canned beans 97.c-$1/can
    bananas 69c-79c/lb max

We get our organic tofu from Costco which is about $2/pack
    spinach, frozen fruit also from Costco because it’s used for our daily smoothies.

Our non dairy drinks are almond milk for $3.50 (reg price) or on sale for $2.97. Coffee “creamer” $3.99 sale price.

Meals are fluid. Indian meals are a great $$$ saver and super flavourful. Roasted veg, lasagnas, occasional burgers, soups especially when using up leftovers.

Spices:
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    cumin
    garma masala (McCormick blend)
    chili powder
    oregano (usually dried from my garden in the summer)
    rosemary ( from the garden)
    also Old Bay seasoning for my “seafood” inspired meals.

Spice blends can also be helpful, like Cajun, Italian, Greek, etc.

Sorry for the super long post

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Groceries, I try to average $100/week but as a Costco shopper I have weeks that spike but then are offset by lower weeks and all averages out in the end. My grocery budget includes all of the things we consume in the household, groceries, cleaning products, pharmacy items, basically anything you can buy in a standard grocery store not a superstore.

We go through a lot of produce but we only buy what is on sale, except for the items I get at Costco (Romain, Bananas, Portobellos and sometimes celery) or those items that rarely go on sale (Mushrooms, are huge for us they help offset our meat costs). They can be hit and miss in our area but I find the No Name Naturally Imperfect can be a great option when available for Fresh Produce, we buy their mushrooms, sweet potatoes, peppers & apples. We also use a lot of Frozen Fruit and Veggies which I buy what I can at Costco, if they big bags go on sale you cannot go wrong. But there are also some I cannot get at Costco so I watch for local sales and stock up.

I am picky with meats, 90% of our meals are chicken but I only eat Chicken Breasts, I do not like thighs or drumsticks. I buy what I can locally on sale but I find the meat sales for what we use are lacking lately so more come from Costco right now.

Spices, we have A LOT of spices but we make most of our own spice mixes so we know what goes into them. Do not want a lot of salt or even high on sugar, it is shocking how many packaged savoury spice mixes have sugar in them. Our standard must haves are:
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Italian Seasoning
    Lawry Salt
    Cumin
    Chili Powder
    Smoked Paprika
    Basil
    Parsley
    Oregano
    Rosemary
    Thyme

These would be our go-tos
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Sun, Feb 20th, 2022 at 10:50 AM.
    Giseledta, harbie, barbis9 and 3 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Good morning all

Well for groceries it vary in my household depending on sales. 2 vegetarian. 2 meat and seafood eaters.we eat mostly sea food which can be expensive and lots of veggies.

As for spices
    Black pepper
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Garam masala
    cumin
    Parsley
    thyme
    oregano
    five spices
    Rosemary
    curry powder
    Tumeric

I might be missing some of the dry spices but we used these on a daily or weekly basics. Also lots of fresh onions, garlic, green onions dill, it all depends what we are making.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Woke up at 5:30 this morning as they were outside using heavy equipment trying to move snow banks. I totally meant to get up and start my day but laid back down to stretch and before I knew it, it was 8 am. Part of me wants to be sad about sleeping in but I know I probably needed it, my sleep has been off for weeks.

I thought about going out today to pick up the stuff for the house but it is still super windy here so I am not sure how the roads are (a number of local roads were closed last night due to blowing snow) and I do not really want to be hauling in large heavy boxes in this, so not today.

Gotta figure out dinner for tonight. I had planned to spend most of my day in the Kitchen but so far it has not happened, we will see. Although I am not leaving the house, I feel like warm comfort food is called for as I sit here and listen to the wind outside LOL.

Happy Sunday Everyone
    Giseledta, harbie, barbis9 and 2 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    QOTD: What spices are you buying the most and what is yours recepies with those? I never bought spice in my life...big error lol
    I keep an eye on the local RCSS clearance rack. Once a year or so, they seem to clear out the spice section. If you can wait for it, the prices make it worthwhile. It is a long-term planning exercise. If you see it, you might want to stock up heavily.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    I keep an eye on the local RCSS clearance rack. Once a year or so, they seem to clear out the spice section. If you can wait for it, the prices make it worthwhile. It is a long-term planning exercise. If you see it, you might want to stock up heavily.
    Thanks.I am in QC so I hope my maxi and cie does the same too Willing to keep checking.

Or I know we have a bulk bark? spelling hahah..maybe is that worthed if they sell cheap spices in vrac?
    Last edited by cath007; Sun, Feb 20th, 2022 at 12:29 PM.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I find Bulk Barn is great for spices we do not want a lot of. At Christmas when I need something we do not keep on hand or the spices we do not use as often. Or the ones I cannot get at Costco. They are also good for the rare/hard to find spices. I find No Frills, Food Basics and even Wal-Mart have a limited selection but buying them at Zehrs or Sobeys is expensive.

I have also seen Metro and Food Basics clear out their spices and got some really good deals there but it is very hit and miss if you are looking for something specific. I also find if it is the one in bags they do not keep well in the bag and lose their flavour. We always move ours to jars with airtight lids to keep them fresh.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Sun, Feb 20th, 2022 at 12:48 PM.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

@coupongirl : Do you know I ask because you shop at Winners and i have one in my city but never been there...if they sell plus size jeans and clothes?Thank you because i find the reitmans i am buying right now are cheap and dont last long... and they are super expensive altrought i always buy them at 50% off.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Or I know we have a bulk bark? spelling hahah..maybe is that worthed if they sell cheap spices in vrac?
    'Bark' has good a variety of spices, but they are more expensive than RCSS or Walmart. However, if you simply must have a specific flavour, they are often the only choice. Their ability to sell small quantities is also significant. Bark is also cheaper than the small East Indian stores in my area.

Personally, if it is a choice between $4 of spice and a pound of steak, I just go with the steak and a little salt or pepper.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I had been planning on spending the whole day in the kitchen but, it did not happen.

I did have some pineapple I needed to use up so I made a pineapple upside down cake that is in the oven now.

We decided on Smothered Pork Chops in Amazing Mushroom Gravy (a new recipe for us to try) with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans on the side for dinner.

I keep telling myself I should get up and get some stuff done but it just is not happening today but oh well, it is a long weekend, there is always tomorrow.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well it finally happened-today I tested positive for Covid on a home test. Pretty mild so far. My husband tested neg so far. I called the lady I baby sit for and she tested the family-two of the triplets tested positive. I knew they had cold symptoms this week so i figured I got it from them. Anyway I am due to go overseas on March 8 so need to look into if that will still be possible. If not luckily I did buy travel insurance-which I never do.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Glad to hear that your symptoms are mild and that you planned ahead with travel insurance. I have read about folks testing positive for weeks afterwards, likely due to residual fragments in their bodies. Hope that it doesn't make a mess of your travel plans.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Great I lost my post grrr

I will redo it...

Well a little bit of grocery is done,that is a great think considering I am not feeling my best emotionnaly today...
    The reason; today is the birthday of my beloved dead brother it is so terrible it would have been 39 years old now...I am 2 years younger than him

And we sell is skis today..and not at the price I wanted..but again no offers since before christmas and we had to face it ...no more space to keep those

so we where asking 125$ for all the person negociate a lot and offer us 90$.. so we just let them go...

I so hate people who negociate...

supper is tacos

I think I will just lurking here to change my mind..

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

cath -winners does have plus size clothing ,not a large selection thou.The top i bought the other day was a 1x ,they alos had a few 2x and 3 x ,so i imagine they may have jeans or pants in those plus sizes .I find it is hit or miss at winners.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

On no @lizzie bargain , I hope your symptoms stay mild and clear up quickly

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information