User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Thought I would make a video of Joshua couponing with mommy. He is 1 and already loves going through mommy's binder! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwNALJrNB0s

I intend to give him an allowance based on chores he does around the house and how well he does in school. And, as others have stated, I do want to teach him budgeting and that with the use of coupons and sales, he can get more for his money.
    Last edited by GeorgiaK; Sun, Oct 30th, 2011 at 08:38 PM.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

These stories are all so cute!

So good to start them early!! Kids these days just don't seem to know the value of money... It's I want a Wii, Playstation, DS, Blackberry...whatever!!! If their friend has it, they must have it as well!

Growing up, I never had any of that stuff (Well most of us didn't did we????). I lived in a family with 8 brothers and sisters. I had to save up my money if I wanted anything.... The "next generation" is growing up with all these high tech things that we only dreamed of when we were growing up!!!

So question here, do any of you give your kids an allowance if they do chores arond the house? Something they can then use their coupons with?? Just wondering because it was not mentioned here.
    Is it baseball season yet?

Trading Score
    432 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theweave View Post
    So question here, do any of you give your kids an allowance if they do chores arond the house? Something they can then use their coupons with?? Just wondering because it was not mentioned here.
    We do give our DD an allowance for her chores around the house. She must put 25% away to give to a charity of her choice, 50% into savings and 25% she can spend however she would like. Her last few purchases have been with coupons I have in my binder -she has discovered with coupons her few $ goes a lot further. Her purchases are pretty basic at this point (she's 8) mainly treats actually, but it is nice to have her learn that with budgeting, saving, and watching for sales and couponing, she can get a lot more for her hard earned money.
    Last edited by CouponLadybird; Sun, Oct 30th, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

Coupon Mama
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have a three year,five year and seven year ols and they all help. My three year old holds my binder in the store as he rides up front, and draws on my trades envies. hehe... My five year old and seven year old cant wait to go to the store and find coupons they find them when i miss them. Teaching them not to take to many is the key. My seven year sorts his cards well i sort my binder. They love it! They are all boys so im hoping they always love it and dont get tired of it.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaK View Post
    Thought I would make a video of Joshua couponing with mommy. He is 1 and already loves going through mommy's binder! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwNALJrNB0s

I intend to give him an allowance based on chores he does around the house and how well he does in school. And, as others have stated, I do want to teach him budgeting and that with the use of coupons and sales, he can get more for his money.
    It's great that the coupon binder is introduced to him early so tha.t he gets use to it.
    Nice video.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

We went shopping at No Frills yesterday and my son grabbed the flyer and walked around telling me what was on sale and for how much. He found yogurt for me and checked to make sure it was the one in the flyer and then put it in the cart, lol. We found a bag of cheetos he wanted, and he looked through the flyer to see if he could find them He also pointed out all the tear pads!!! Which there was a lot but they were all Coupon Zone and ending early March He also has an envelope of his own coupons (mostly expired or ones I won't use or have extras of) and made sure he brought them into the store. He's very proud of his coupon collection and helping me. Always asking me what is on my list and asks me to help him make one of his own!
    Last edited by leda; Sun, Feb 26th, 2012 at 09:45 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (67%)

Quote Originally Posted by avrose View Post
    My oldest (almost 12) always finds me tearpads in the stores, and my little on (just turned 9) just helped me clip coupons the other day. She also made me this one!

That is ADORABLE!!!!! Another good idea? I started when my daughter was in Grade 1-I had HER write out my grocery list-bad spelling and all! She's now over halfway thru Grade 2, and looking back thru the lists shows me my girl is learning everyday! Its fun to read and always puts a smile on my face.

The first one she ever did sits happily in my wallet to make me laugh when I truly need one!

!!!!!!!! <3
    Jessi...

Trading Score
    1 (67%)

Quote Originally Posted by leda View Post
    Thank you! My husband and I both grew up with very little money in our households. Many Christmases would pass where I didn't get any gifts, which would mean my bday too, since it's early Jan. I was even homeless for a few months when I was 10. I know the importance of saving money (like we all do here) and I want my son to learn respect for money. I know at that age, it's very hard to explain, Daddy makes X amount of money and after bills are paid, we have X amount to spend. But it's a great thing for kids to learn there is a dollar bill burried in the backyard sprouting roots, lol.
    YOU, LEDA, ARE AMAZING!!!!!!
    Jessi...

Trading Score
    1 (67%)

I had a pretty horrific childhood, and learned VERY early that if I wanted something, I had to get it myself....aside from making jewelry that I actually sold at a store in one of our malls (earrings sold for 3$, I got 2$), babysitting, and starting a lil biz in our trailer court called "Kid Power" where me and my friends did yardwork and chores, I'd offer myself to do work for those I knew a bit better....

I was in Co-op the the other week for the 10 for 10 deals, and saw a man who'd let me earn 35 dollars for chores I did for him and his wife. I'd earned enough for a 10 speed ice-blue bike I wanted SO BADLY! I recognized him immediately and hadn't seen him in over 15 years! He remembered me immediately and we both had tears in our eyes because his wife has since passed. This man is now like 80+, but I'm sure he will always remember the little girl who would have done anything to get that bike, and I will always remember his and his wife's kindness toward the little girl who's rake the lawn and shovel the snow for a dollar or two at a time until she EARNED that bike.

I feel so detached to that little firecracker I used to be. I have Bipolar Disorder and I live deep in a depression most of the time. I'm only 30. Life's ROUGH. But you know what? I was on Cloud 9 for days after running into that man who believed in me and helped me acheive my goal. When I hugged him, I honestly didn't want to let go, because I don't have many people or family.

That connection will remain forever special to me. The man's name is Joe.

Wow...never spewed my heart out like THAT-gunna crawl back under my rock now...

Keep teaching and instilling values in your children. I do with mine, and I hope one day they have the drive to work as hard as I did for a bike!

.................................................k inda sad now...
    Jessi...

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

My son loves the fact that im couponing lol, everytime i pull out my coupons to look for the best deals and such he always comes running and says mommy i want to come couponing i love it teaching him young to save $ love it

Expert in My Town :) thriftymom75's Avatar
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My 12 & 9 year old sons help collect coupons for me & like doing the "extreme coupon clipping" when I trade for smartsource inserts... Then my youngest coupons too. He will be 2 in May, but shortly after he started talking he came up to me with a coupon in his hand saying coupon! Coupon! Coupon! & I was like... Awe he said Coupon He gets to play with any that are expired, then he feels like he is couponing like mommy! Lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    139 (100%)

My 5year old boy thinks FLYERS are coupons cause he always see's me comparing prices when trying to get my list in order. SO when we go to grocery stores and he sees a flyer... he screams at the top of his lungs MOMMY COUPONS hahahah.. soo cute.... everyone looks at me like I am crazy and he is so proud that he ist trying to find coupons for mommy...

my 7yr old is always embarrased especially during my recycle walks.. heheheh
    Just launched my new website, come take a look (headbands for all ages, and more to come)
    Www.5angels.ca

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jubsies

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wildfirejessi View Post
    YOU, LEDA, ARE AMAZING!!!!!!
    That is very sweet of you!!! You certainly put a smile on my face! Thank you very much!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wildfirejessi View Post
    I had a pretty horrific childhood, and learned VERY early that if I wanted something, I had to get it myself....aside from making jewelry that I actually sold at a store in one of our malls (earrings sold for 3$, I got 2$), babysitting, and starting a lil biz in our trailer court called "Kid Power" where me and my friends did yardwork and chores, I'd offer myself to do work for those I knew a bit better....

I was in Co-op the the other week for the 10 for 10 deals, and saw a man who'd let me earn 35 dollars for chores I did for him and his wife. I'd earned enough for a 10 speed ice-blue bike I wanted SO BADLY! I recognized him immediately and hadn't seen him in over 15 years! He remembered me immediately and we both had tears in our eyes because his wife has since passed. This man is now like 80+, but I'm sure he will always remember the little girl who would have done anything to get that bike, and I will always remember his and his wife's kindness toward the little girl who's rake the lawn and shovel the snow for a dollar or two at a time until she EARNED that bike.

I feel so detached to that little firecracker I used to be. I have Bipolar Disorder and I live deep in a depression most of the time. I'm only 30. Life's ROUGH. But you know what? I was on Cloud 9 for days after running into that man who believed in me and helped me acheive my goal. When I hugged him, I honestly didn't want to let go, because I don't have many people or family.

That connection will remain forever special to me. The man's name is Joe.

Wow...never spewed my heart out like THAT-gunna crawl back under my rock now...

Keep teaching and instilling values in your children. I do with mine, and I hope one day they have the drive to work as hard as I did for a bike!

.................................................k inda sad now...
    Thank you for sharing! I think that is very touching!! And very sweet! I am so happy that the two of you ran into eachother!

Thank you everyone for sharing stories! Please share more I love hearing them!!! I'm sure everyone here does!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

My son is almost 3 and calls coupons poupons. Every time he hears the printer printing, whether is is a coupon or not, he runs to the printer yelling "I will get the poupons mom!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information