User Tag List

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree2344Likes

Thread: March 2023 Frugal Chat

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Iím sorry youíre having a rough go at it @SassyAshley . I have no idea what exactly is wrong with your moms hip but my dad has a bum knee and even though he doesnít need to loose weight he does end to keep moving which is hard when it hurts (especially with these wet cold Canadian winters) so he heads to the local pool and walks laps. Helps with joint mobility and then soaks in the hot tub. Could that work for your mom? Weight loss surgery is a pretty drastic step I would say. Hope things get better for both of you.
    @Frugalbigmama I hate the idea of the plastic on them but Iíve wondered how they would be without and your experience has confirmed it for me. I would think they would be more easily damaged and do they turn bad faster? I think Iíd prefer the wrapped ones unfortunately.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Took the car in for an oil change. $175 for that. Dh finally got a new phone. His old S7 was starting to give him problems with things like YouTube when he watched at home. So finally I convinced him to get a new one. Great deal with Telus and getting a watch free etc. Too good to pass up.

The car needs breaks done before our road trip at the end of April so we went over our budget and found the $670 for that. We went over our budget and while we both hate spending $$$ weíre happy that we have the money for thing we need. Itís a love hate relationship with spending.

Going to grab some veggies later today and then back to the laundry.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I kept missing bus connections on the way to Mississauga (hurrah for impulse chips buy as it became breakfast and dinner that day between buses) that I did not care one fare transfer expired to allow myself time to look for coupons (any pads seen were empty) and poke around Joe Fresh's sales racks. I did not see those $1.49 PC black tote bags, just the red totes for $2.49 in housewares plus some insulated PC totes.

Saw parts of Mississauga on two bus routes I've not been on before. Managed to score one desired Nordstrom tank in XL (tried L-too tight for current me and XL was just right; I learned some years ago that L lately is a smaller L than what was available say in early 2000s); first floor of Sherway Garden's store had some empty shoe racks so merch is moving! Expect liquidation sales to start after March 17. Noticed on receipts that stores is not taking returns on beauty, fine jewelery and designer fashions. Nordstrom Rack-some baby brand names were not seen on racks. Did see a few Clarks size 12 slip-on slides in three different colours but the white plastic/foam soles were not convincing solid (only 15% off -selling at $54 and change). Loved the cart and wheeled my tote bag in it and one little Burt's Bees hand cream in lavendar and honey that I wanted to buy. No spring coat finds in my budget. Hope to return in early April.

DId manage to visit Laura Outlet at Dixie Outlet (2/3 Laura stock, 1/3 Melanie Lyne). Don't recall seeing spring coats, just some packable puffer coats in cheery colours! No navy belts! I tried Suzy Shier and one accessory store plus the Winners stores-no 1/2" navy anywhere!

While I was in Square One, I did pop into H&M for belt look-no navy. Bought two scratch tickets and a pop in mall (basically walked around since I was there, it felt like a waste not to explore the upper floor a bit (Indigo's Starbucks had a long tween lineup! but bookstore was fairly quiet-saw a teensy clearance hole in the wall area (mostly unsold Christmas items-if you want $5 paper balls (6pk) for next year, there are a few boxes). Did quick stroll through Uniqlo but did not see if any new Ines de la Fressange Spring gear was in (no signs or I must have missed them). Skipped Simons as it was getting on to 6:30pm and I realized I probably had to trek to the lousy stop away from terminal to get my bus west to South Common Mall then keep going west.

Overall, glad I did the trip though I wished I made two connections east on time. Day was dragging on that by 2pm, I decided I needed an A&W burger to go with my $2 Coke (vending machine outside Treasure Hunt in the mall part has $2.50 signs but $2 was the true cost-score!). Treasure Hunt is so messy, enter only if you have time to poke around. No shower curtain finds in bed/bath and no navy belts (saw a rack in girls' clothing but no luck).

The current plan is to go back again before Easter or mid April and see what Nordstrom/Rack have left. I saw on Sunday two videos on Sherway Gardens recorded around Xmas and Mango store is open next to Hudson Bay (SQ1 store is not open and I think the same applies to Yorkdale's store) ! I never went to the Bay on Thur and am so mad I missed a look! Hope to go there for longer visit in April.

Imagine my surprise that I was charged $3.50 plus GST for a Toronto Star Paper! The only time the price for Star in Ancaster is that much is on Sat. Last Sunday, I bought the Star at my local Shoppers for $2.50 plus GST. Think the paper is a loss leader for store in order to get older customers to shop there? That's my theory. I could not find the Toronto Sun in the Shoppers so bought two lottery scratch tickets to add to the paper as I did not have a small bill on hand and had to break a $20.

Presto card fund-$25.20 on the card. $4.20 balance left. I must have paid 8 fares because last ride or two were free that week and it was late when I got home (10:45pm). Discovered that Burlington GO station locks doors at 8:45pm and I was rather in need of a bathroom but survived. Next time, I will make my connections and not dally too late after 5 in Mississauga (I skipped Loblaws in Heartland as I was lingering at the Rack and Winners and it was rush hour too, so far for me to walk to the grocery store). I had hoped to fit a trip to Oakville Place to check out Buy Buy Baby but I may figure out a separate trip later in month to squeeze a visit in.

Today's happy e-mail-I won tickets to this weekend's Hamilton Food and Drink Fest! Have to find out if I pick up tickets early or can I just collect them at the door? First win of 2023! Sample tickets are $2 each and I will need to figure out what samples to try.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    Iím sorry youíre having a rough go at it @SassyAshley. I have no idea what exactly is wrong with your moms hip but my dad has a bum knee and even though he doesnít need to loose weight he does end to keep moving which is hard when it hurts (especially with these wet cold Canadian winters) so he heads to the local pool and walks laps. Helps with joint mobility and then soaks in the hot tub. Could that work for your mom? Weight loss surgery is a pretty drastic step I would say. Hope things get better for both of you.
    @Frugalbigmama I hate the idea of the plastic on them but Iíve wondered how they would be without and your experience has confirmed it for me. I would think they would be more easily damaged and do they turn bad faster? I think Iíd prefer the wrapped ones unfortunately.
    I have to agree with Sassy's Mom to pass on the surgery option. Could be a huge effort and with extra costs. Like your suggestions, @harbie , for Sassy's Mom to try out. @SassyAshley , since all of your siblings have mgmt positions, they likely can get time off for personal reasons. Can your Bro take Mom out to a second doctor for another opinion? It's not fair to you to stick-handle all the parent worry on your own. Bro should help out- (2x4 him if you have to or use a guilt trip).
    harbie, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@Frugalbigmama If you are still looking for CT stores that have the clearance bikes of interest, use stocktrack.ca. There's a CT tab and you choose your product category in the far right menu to pull up results and store locations will show up on left side of screen if there is or is not stock.
    harbie, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Rescued 3x cans of mangos, jar of plum jam, jar of Korean BBQ marinade, bag of oats, and bag of rice from the dump.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 1 others like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Ceil ,you sure went on a nice adventure shopping .I do love the bay (mostly online shopping) but hate their $69.00 spend amount for free shipping ,i dont tend to go out to malls much anymore .I really need to curtail our spending as the dental bill will not be $500-800 as i thought it may be.

Hubby came home tonight from dentist we only had to give $500.00 deposit for now but the final cost will be 1,000 or a bit more .

So in this aspect i am glad a few months ago i bought ashlyn easter dress for $2.99 at old navy back in sept ,sebastian shorts for $9.00 and i will get little miss cara a dress at giant tiger for $6.00,plus a small toys and chocolates .I still need to buy the treats .

I notice if you take 2 full bags into talize this weekend ,you get a 50% off coupon to use ,i have 3 boxes downstairs ,we will see if i feel like going.
    harbie, Purdee, JadeAngel and 4 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel21 View Post
    @Frugalbigmama If you are still looking for CT stores that have the clearance bikes of interest, use stocktrack.ca. There's a CT tab and you choose your product category in the far right menu to pull up results and store locations will show up on left side of screen if there is or is not stock.
    Thank-you! I will check that out.
    harbie, SassyAshley and Ciel21 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning!
    Snowing here at the moment. News said it should stop around noon.

Drove DS to school for 8am. 2 mins later he calls me to tell me there isn't class. So went back to take him back home.

Grabbed a coffee at Mcdonald's and headed into my office. Now to get this work day behind me!!!

Have a wonderful day!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Dr. visit today, hoping to resist the urge to browse afterwards around the grocery aisles at NF nearby. Sometimes it depends on the outcome of the Dr. update....lol.

babies teach us acceptance

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@harbie , it is Arthritis but our doc keeps telling her it is mild and if she lost weight the pain would go away. I have two issues with this:
    A) I work with someone with Arthritis and she is tiny she has been off a lot this year with her Arthritis, so, yes losing weight will help but it will not eliminate the pain.
    B) I do not get it with Mom everything is about losing weight but both of us are overweight and he does not pull the same thing on me. Although he was the one who told me as a teenager I was obsessive and not to weigh myself or track my food because I was doing more harm than good, which was true.

We have a health walker in our basement, I think I need to get it moved upstairs as she thinks she can use that because she does not get a lot of movement right now as she is afraid to go outside and fall, which I get. I hurt my back in the winter a few years ago and Doc told me to walk but I refused to walk outside as I was afraid I would slip and hurt myself more.

The only thing is where it needs to go is our craft pile, it is a pile of all sorts of craft stuff that was not ruined in the flood and we brought it up in case we flooded again. Mom has enjoyed having it up here as it means she does not have to go to the basement, I have made room to keep some of it up here but it is just sorting it. I have learned when Mom is in a lot of pain she runs out of patients easily which is understandable but I need her to tell me what needs to stay up here and what is going to the basement.

Yes, we feel surgery is not an option, she knows a couple of people who had it and it was great at the time, they lost the weight but now years later they are dealing with various after-effects of the surgery that continues to affect their health years later.

I was thinking of taking her to a float tank, she has always wanted to try one and I hear they are good for arthritis, the only thing is the closest one if just over an hour away so it is not something we can do often.
    harbie, barbis9, walkonby and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

UGH, double post.
    Ciel21 likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Good Morning,
    I cannot believe it is only 10 am.

I forced myself to get up at 5 am this morning to try to get on top of things. The key word being try, Honestly, I am feeling like today is not my day.

Mom had a really bad day yesterday, she could barely walk her hip was so bad. It just keeps getting worse and worse. She tried to do something after I went to bed but couldn't so she texted me, that got me up and going this morning. I feel so bad, I do not know how to help her, she is taking all of these different meds and nothing seems to help, it only seems to get worse. The doc is of no help, he just keeps telling her to lose weight which she is trying but since she can barely move exercising is out. So now his solution is weight loss surgery which she does not want. It is just so frustrating.

I thought I had slept funny yesterday as my neck and one shoulder were bothering me all day, I took some Robax but it did not help. Today it is worse and is now trying to give me a headache.

I worked for 6 hours yesterday to try to get ahead at work, I think for everything I got done yesterday 6 new things have come in this morning that I need to do and none of it is easy just get it done type of work. It is all time-consuming and full of issues and errors that need to be corrected before I can even start on what I need to do. Plus now I have multiple requests for me to go and work in branches.

I am trying to be positive and tell myself I can do this but honestly, I kind of just want to cry right now. I tried taking a break and made myself some Baked Apple Oatmeal, normally cooking helps me but not today. I am just overwhelmed, overstimulated and over it. I feel like I cannot have a bad day because I have to keep on top of work and the house and helping Mom and all of the things. With everything, Mom is going through right now how can I complain about having a bad day? But, it does not make it any easier and the stuff does not magically get done.

My work to-do is taller than me and only getting longer by the moment, literally, I just see another 7 emails that need to be added to my to-do list. They have offered me help but the issue is why the time I lay out what they need to do and show them what to do it would be faster for me to just do it myself.

Sorry for my rant but felt good to get it out, time to wash my face, tell myself I got this I can do and just try to get something done.

Happy Monday
    @SassyAshley has your Mom tried exercising in a pool? I belong to the Y, and find the water is so good on the body. There is zero judgement, you do what you can. I love hydrotherapy over regular aqua fit, and find it really helps with mobility.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@barbis9 , she has looked into but our local pool is still on Covid restrictions so it is impossible to get in, you can go on the waitlist but from what we have read unless our town decides to remove the restrictions which they are saying are the new normal it is pointless. They are opening a new public pool hopefully sometime in 2023 or 2024 so we will wait.

But thank you for the suggestion. This is why I thinking of the float tank but again we do not have one close. I love small-town living but it also has its drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    @SassyAshley has your Mom tried exercising in a pool? I belong to the Y, and find the water is so good on the body. There is zero judgement, you do what you can. I love hydrotherapy over regular aqua fit, and find it really helps with mobility.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Tue, Mar 14th, 2023 at 10:42 AM.
    harbie and Ciel21 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    @harbie, it is Arthritis but our doc keeps telling her it is mild and if she lost weight the pain would go away. I have two issues with this:
    A) I work with someone with Arthritis and she is tiny she has been off a lot this year with her Arthritis, so, yes losing weight will help but it will not eliminate the pain.
    B) I do not get it with Mom everything is about losing weight but both of us are overweight and he does not pull the same thing on me. Although he was the one who told me as a teenager I was obsessive and not to weigh myself or track my food because I was doing more harm than good, which was true.

We have a health walker in our basement, I think I need to get it moved upstairs as she thinks she can use that because she does not get a lot of movement right now as she is afraid to go outside and fall, which I get. I hurt my back in the winter a few years ago and Doc told me to walk but I refused to walk outside as I was afraid I would slip and hurt myself more.

The only thing is where it needs to go is our craft pile, it is a pile of all sorts of craft stuff that was not ruined in the flood and we brought it up in case we flooded again. Mom has enjoyed having it up here as it means she does not have to go to the basement, I have made room to keep some of it up here but it is just sorting it. I have learned when Mom is in a lot of pain she runs out of patients easily which is understandable but I need her to tell me what needs to stay up here and what is going to the basement.

Yes, we feel surgery is not an option, she knows a couple of people who had it and it was great at the time, they lost the weight but now years later they are dealing with various after-effects of the surgery that continues to affect their health years later.

I was thinking of taking her to a float tank, she has always wanted to try one and I hear they are good for arthritis, the only thing is the closest one if just over an hour away so it is not something we can do often.
    @SassyAshley an exercise bike or even one of the mini ones where you sit and pedal might help. As for the skinny co-worker, it all depends on the type of arthritis she has - there are so many types. Weight loss does definitely help with osteoarthritis, as it takes pressure off the joints, I know from personal experience. Even 10 pounds can make a difference. Rather than aim for a large weight loss, try smaller amounts. Perhaps the doctor can sent your mom to a dietitian (covered by ohip) who can review what she is eating, and give ideas how to cut back or ways to make simple adjustments. I know it helped when I had stomach issues.

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information