User Tag List

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I tried Spenda Brown Sugar Sweetner last week for the first time. I had obtained a coupon from a link on smartcanucks, and decided to try it out.

Let me start by telling you, I was very impressed by the quality, but the quantity could be improved.

I tested this out in a chocolate chip cookie receipe that I've made for years. You use half as much Splenda Brown Sugar in a receipe than you would real brown sugar, (you literally cut the amount in half). I was a bit skeptical about this, but the finished product was amazing. I think that it acually made the cookies better, as they seemed sweeter and more flavorful.

Positives of this product:
    a) I found the texture and color of this product to be almost the exact same as my regualr brown sugar.
    b) This is a great subsitite for those on diets, as sweetner has far less calories than sugar. Therefore, you can enjoy a treat without the guilt (as much anyways). Also good for people who cannot have or must limit their amount of sugar
    c) It make the recipe better, if anything.

Negatives of this product:
    a) You do not get a good quantity per package for the price. I can buy much more regular brown sugar for the same price I pay for a small about of Spleda Brown Sugar Sweetner.

All in all, I would receommed this product. It really depends on the individual person and the reason they are buying it. For people who are trying to cut down on calories, or people who need to limit their sugar, this is a great product. It is a very good sugar substitute. I know dieting you can often feel like you are missing out on treats by having to buy the light or sugar-free versions. I honestly do not think you could tell the difference with this product. The only reason I would not recommend this product is to those, like most, who like to get the most for their money as this product wouldn't last nearly as long as a bag of regular brown sugar.

My ratings are two categories:
    For the dieter: 4.5/5
    For the non-dieter: 3/5

Link:
    http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?id.../bsb_blend.inc
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Nettie
    Want to join SWAGBUCKS and earn gift cards? Click on my referral link! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/nichandainc
    Visit my blog, to read about how I save money on everyday expenses!
    http://stuffthepiggybank.blogspot.com/

Newfielover
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for this review. I have always wondered about Splenda, and when I saw the Brown Sugar version was really interested. I use very little brown sugar, but wonder if this Splenda will go rock hard like my regular Brown Sugar does.
    TheGirlOutWest

Banned
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

I tried regular Splenda in a peanut butter cookies recipe the other day and they turned out horrible. Not sure if it was the Splenda that did it, but I've made it the same way for years and this time the only thing that was different was the Splenda. Hmm

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I used it in some choc chip cookies, it tasted the same as my reg cookies. Also used half of the white splenda and half reg white sugar. They taste the same to me. The brown Splenda sugar is a small quantity though....and it stinks! Did anyone else find that? It tasted fine, but it smelled like really bad burned sugar or something.....lol

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Awesome! I was wondering what it was like!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I really like the brown sugar splenda, I use it on my oatmeal and it tastes just as good as the regular to me. I do agree the package is very small, for the price you pay for it.
    "To the world you may be one person, to one person you may be the world"

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I love the brown sugar splenda and use it whenever a recipe calls for brown sugar. If the recipe calls for both white and brown sugar I can replace the brown sugar with the br sugar splenda and the white sugar with regular white splenda. If the recipe calls for only white sugar and I replace it all with splenda it doesn't turn out so well. I will use half splenda and half white sugar. Hope that made sense

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I like Brown Sugar Splenda but the box does feel so light in your hands, especially for the price, I agree. When you have no choice, suppose better than nothing though?!

I can still eat sugar but my mom was a diabetic. Tried it cooking meals for us all rather than two seperate kinds. One Christmas I tried it on my glazed yams instead of the regular brown sugar. They turned out better made with Splenda I thought?! Instead of the yams sitting sweet sauce from the sugar and butter melting together, it soaked into the yams and the yams had a better texture and brighter colour too. Don't buy it now mom is gone but thinking I should once in awhile if it might help prevent me ever becoming diabetic by reducing my sugar intake?

Interesting post. Thanks!

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

thanks i will try it. i use splenda in my coffe why not in my baking

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have noticed the odd smell of the brown sugar splenda and it turned me off at first. However, I am diabetic and if I want to have a treat I have to use it. I made apple crisp in the fall using it and I almost cried it was so wonderful.

The splenda website has some great recipes for baking with splenda and I've made a couple of them now. Very very good!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

thank's for the review Nettie,

very interesting, analyse
    i use the regular Splenda in my Cafelib but never dare to try this
    Splenda brown sugar....

and thank's guys for adding your comments
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Thread Information