User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Downtown Toronto Optimum collectors...I found an SDM with PRODUCE!!!!!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I don't know what happened with this thread so I am posting again.

the Queen and John SDM has produce!!!!!!!!! A small selection, but when it comes to SDM, it's magnificent.

Onions. Lettuce. Bananas and grapes. My new 20x saving grace.

It's a small selection, but means so much to people like me. You know, those people who arrive early on 20x day, only to walk out of SDM in frustration because everything is sold out, and the only food they have is soon to expire yogurt and cheese, and the frozen section is picked clean.

Now with produce, I will never go point hungry again! The best part is that the prices are not much more expensive than grocery stores. $1.89 bag of onions. $3.49 bagged salad. $2.99 for 3lb of bananas. $2.99 grape tomatoes.

This store also has a super nice bread, frozen food, and dairy selection. It even has a section with stuff you'd find in Chinatown like Mochi.

Anyway, if you live downtown, check that location out. The locations at Queens Quay/Spadina, Peter/King and Yonge/College should hang their heads in shame compared to this place.

Armed with this knowledge, go forth and collect optimum points, my downtown friends.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Ciel, Poirot, $avvy$hopper and 4 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Mmmmm......mochi. Unfortunately, I can only handle one brand. The others seem too sweet, too dry, weird aftertaste, or something else.

I need to run to my snack drawer now. You gave me a craving! Yum!!
    torontogal12 likes this.

discounter
    Trading Score
    135 (100%)

The one near Dupont TTC station always have produce.
    Ciel, pepperminty and torontogal12 like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I don't know what happened with this thread so I am posting again.

the Queen and John SDM has produce!!!!!!!!! A small selection, but when it comes to SDM, it's magnificent.

Onions. Lettuce. Bananas and grapes. My new 20x saving grace.

It's a small selection, but means so much to people like me. You know, those people who arrive early on 20x day, only to walk out of SDM in frustration because everything is sold out, and the only food they have is soon to expire yogurt and cheese, and the frozen section is picked clean.

Now with produce, I will never go point hungry again! The best part is that the prices are not much more expensive than grocery stores. $1.89 bag of onions. $3.49 bagged salad. $2.99 for 3lb of bananas. $2.99 grape tomatoes.

This store also has a super nice bread, frozen food, and dairy selection. It even has a section with stuff you'd find in Chinatown like Mochi.

Anyway, if you live downtown, check that location out. The locations at Queens Quay/Spadina, Peter/King and Yonge/College should hang their heads in shame compared to this place.

Armed with this knowledge, go forth and collect optimum points, my downtown friends.
    Hmmm, not sure where you usually buy your produce, but those prices are not competitive at all. I never pay more than 69 cents per lb of bananas, grape tomatoes should be no more than 1.99, bagged salad (depending on the brand and type of salad) 99 cents to 2.49...

I would love to have produce at my SDM but if these are the prices they are selling at, not sure this will be a successful venture for them.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Within .30 to $1 these are the same prices as other places in the area

Quote Originally Posted by Panache70 View Post
    Hmmm, not sure where you usually buy your produce, but those prices are not competitive at all. I never pay more than 69 cents per lb of bananas, grape tomatoes should be no more than 1.99, bagged salad (depending on the brand and type of salad) 99 cents to 2.49...

I would love to have produce at my SDM but if these are the prices they are selling at, not sure this will be a successful venture for them.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Within .30 to $1 these are the same prices as other places in the area
    LOL, maybe true but when it represents a 30% price difference (69cents per lb bananas vs. 1$ per pound, for example), I would be more inclined to get my fruit elsewhere. You may come out even on 20x points days, but most other days you would be overpaying.

That being said, I hope more Shopper's get into the produce game. Perhaps they will get better pricing from buying bigger volumes and will pass this along to the customer and become really competitive in this area.
    Last edited by Panache70; Wed, Apr 18th, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Would be nice if they keep spreading this around. Canada has big grocery store competition. There are many articles about this around earnings season.

BTW, Bananas around me cost 0.89/lb

LOL, maybe true but when it represents a 30% price difference (69cents per lb bananas vs. 1$ per pound, for example), I would be more inclined to get my fruit elsewhere. You may come out even on 20x points days, but most other days you would be overpaying.

That being said, I hope more Shopper's get into the produce game. Perhaps they will get better pricing from buying bigger volumes and will pass this along to the customer and become really competitive in this area.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Wed, Apr 18th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Loves To Save SimplifiedMommyTips's Avatar
    Trading Score
    260 (100%)

that is good to know will definitely go there, I live downtown and the ones around the area has stuff that are ready to expire in a week or so, good that is is a place closeby to go for produce shopping.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yes the close expiry dates are so annoying. I bet there's going to be a bunch of SCers there now on 20x days! I'll be the one with the look of shock on my face as I check things off my shopping list after putting them in my basket, instead of taking all the sale tags to the cashier to ask for rainchecks

Quote Originally Posted by SimplifiedMommyTips View Post
    that is good to know will definitely go there, I live downtown and the ones around the area has stuff that are ready to expire in a week or so, good that is is a place closeby to go for produce shopping.

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

nice post torontogal! good you can now have more to work with on 20x point days!
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Imy "Other Money". Join the fun:
    *Swagbucks!!- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Savvy5

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

Yay for produce at shoppers! But oh my torontogal 89c/lb!? Im just 5 mins from downtown and get 49c - 60c. Maybe they charge more right in the core? Try danforth!
    Panache70 likes this.
    RRLF: Almond breeze, gluten free products

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Used to live on Danforth, but taking the subway there now would cost $6 so groceries would actually cost more

Quote Originally Posted by masid View Post
    Yay for produce at shoppers! But oh my torontogal 89c/lb!? Im just 5 mins from downtown and get 49c - 60c. Maybe they charge more right in the core? Try danforth!
    Last edited by torontogal12; Thu, Apr 19th, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

windowwendy
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

i am happy for you torontogal. bet you cant wait for the next 20x point event
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

It will be a successful venture for them as its more about convenience Than price for the people who shop there.

Just about evey other food item like pop, chips , frozen pizza , bread , soup , cheese, canned goods, cereals , bacon, frozen goods , ice cream etc is much more expensive in SDM than other grocery stores , but people who shop there still buy those items over there , so produce won't be any different.

I personally won't buy produce there at higher prices , but lot of other people will as those people are already buying other higher priced food items like the ones above , without a second thought.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Took my mom to this SDM today she was like "WHAAAAT?" Lol. Was like no other SDM she had seen. Thought it was neat to see the produce there and was shocked at the level of selection at a drug store of all places.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information