User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Disabled parents fight for newborn

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

"A disabled couple are fighting to keep their newborn son, after social workers threatened to take the boy away unless he receives round-the-clock care from an 'able-bodied attendant'"

This breaks my heart, Children's Aid has failed so many kids - and now they want to take a child from there loving parents bc they are disabled, talk about discrimination! Meanwhile a 7 year old girl who was put in the custody of 2 crack addicts is dead now - Is it me or is something terribly wrong with Children's Aid?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/canew...-29160704.html

What do you think?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

This is so wrong! This breaks my heart. I think if they need help they should get assistance BUT the child should not be taking away from them! We are suppsoe to be helping parents like this, not take their children away! I have so much respect for this couple. They have a disability and that didn't stop them from having a baby and trying to have a normal life. Childrens Aid should be going after people who hurt children, not people who want to give their kids the world! I wish my tax dollars actually went to help people like this!

I hope they get to keep their baby and I hope if they need help they get the right assistance.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Thu, May 3rd, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
    VeeVee and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

They even live in a building with 24h assisted care (PSW etc) that can and will help them!
    DaveP and saveadollardiva like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I know and I don't know why childrens aid thinks the child would be in danger??? and childrens services should be helping the couple get any more care they need not try and take the child away! I guess childrens aid thinks having two crack heads raise a child is better than having loving, caring, giving parents, who have everything to give the child a perfect life, but who just have a physical disability is just terrible?

Come on seriously!
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Thu, May 3rd, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

That's pretty awful, I hope this couple can overcome this hurdle! CAS should be helping this couple, not threatening to take their child away!
    VeeVee, DaveP and saveadollardiva like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I do hope they can keep the kid...but, you have to see the potential danger that can arise in this situation. The couple will need help...they have some support there where they are living, but they need a dedicated person to help 24/7 as Children's aid is suggesting.

I really wish their doctor would of informed them about this issue prior to conceiving.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

^ I understand were your coming from but the doctor is there to make sure the mother and baby are healthy and make it through the 9 months and labour with no issues. That is the doctors job. Childrens Aid should be assisting them not scare them and take away their baby. They both are mentally aware of things and have a normal mentality. Just because you have a disability physically, should not give anyone a right to take your child.

AND if childrens aid would like them to have more help then the 24 hour care they already have then they should pay for it. Not the parents.

This is not the 1920's or 1930's when people were not educated enought to understand.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Thu, May 3rd, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
    abbasgirl and DaveP like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^ I meant the doctors should of have informed the couple about this scenario when they first developed the condition. Doctors inform patients with severe conditions about the long term affects of this disorder. Which does affect the ability to create/raise a child. I would like to know if their doctor educated them when they developed the disorder about the possibility of creating/raising a child and what hurdles and/or limitations that would arise.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

^ The doctor has to make sure the patient knows the risk of having a child with that disability, but the doctor I am sure only knows health risk, not that childrens aid will come and take your baby because you have a physically disability.
    DaveP likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I feel for the couple....but at the same time, was the couple informed??? Did they speak to doctors about the possibility of even having a child before they conceived and what complications that would arise? I know for a fact that doctors inform patients with neurological disorders, especially females that child birth is not recommended and/or possibilities that could arise later in life. They may not of been aware, but i'm all in favour of what's best for the child.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

^ I agree with you on that, I care for the well being of the child.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You don't develop CP. It's caused by trauma to the brain (usually from lack of oxygen) before or at birth or, less commonly, during the first 3 years. This couple would have been living with their condition for their entire lives and would be well aware of their own limitations. Really the only limitations here are some motor difficulties, but since they have access to 24 hour care, I don't see that even being an issue.
    Children's Aid was right to look in on them, but I think they are being unnecessarily cautious to the detriment of the child.
    Andit, aussie, lekate and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I wonder if all folks who have impaired motor skills are thus assessed (ie if you are in a wheelchair, you are not a fit parent?). What CAS *should* be doing is informing the couple of programs that allow for more help (they do exist, I know of one lady with very limited mobility who received extra help the first 2 yrs of her son's life). I suspect they are like most social service agencies - one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. I'll never forget having to explain to a social worker at the hospital when I snapped 9 metatarcels in my feet that there are programs in place to help with the cost of assistive devices when she insisted I have to pay thousands of dollars for braces for my legs. Sigh.
    DaveP likes this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just read that the couple won their case and the CAS is backing down.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ral-palsy.html
    lekate, WhistlerChick and DaveP like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am glad they will be able to keep their child. People see a disability and automatically assume they are incapable and helpless. It is evidently not the case.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information