User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By glowworm2k
  • 1 Post By i_love_to_save

Thread: where to find steel toe shoes for men...

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

My husband just got a job and his job requests to wear steel toe shoes, we cannot afford to pay $70+ for a pair of shoes that he might not need in 2 months (he is working thru an egency)....so i am wondering if anybody knows of cheap places where we can get those shoes.... i went to WM and the cheap ones were $69.99 I am in mississauga so i am looking for local places Please and Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

May I suggest you go to Value Village, or a similar type store. You can probably find them there, and for a fraction of the price.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    May I suggest you go to Value Village, or a similar type store. You can probably find them there, and for a fraction of the price.

i was thinking the same, i don't go to Value Village and i was wondering if they even carry them.... even Goodwill? Have you seen them there?

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I know you can sometimes get them for a decent prices - under $50 - at Canadian Tire or Mark's work wearhouse. I'm going to warn you, though, that buying low cost steel-toed shoes comes with a cost. The shoes will work just fine, but the cheaper the shoe, the heavier it will be. This is a problem if your DH will be on his feet all day.... heavy shoes can cause foot, leg and back pain and can be very, very uncomfortable. I get that you're looking for a good price, but please make sure that you get ones that aren't too heavy... your poor DH might pay for it otherwise. (Source: personal experience)
    AmberLab and PurpleBunny89 like this.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Payless has them as well. And they are pretty good in price. 39.99. I don't know if that is in your budget but if you want brand new ones I guess ok

Here is the website

http://www.payless.com/store/product...splayName=Mens
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Mon, May 7th, 2012 at 01:14 PM.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I suggest Marks. Wait (if you can) for a promotion like spend x save x or spend x get x gift card. There might be some promos going currently, I'm not sure I leave that to my DH to handle. He has all the little coupon cards in his wallet.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

That Payless site is US - Canada doesn't have online, but there may be something comparable in store.

OP, you can find them for around $40-50 - but as others have said, frankly those are really lousy and heavy - son and husband both wear workboots, so we've been through it all.

I understand it might be temporary, but then maybe that's something he needs to let the temp agency know, that he doesn't have any...

It might be worth asking on Kijiji or on Freecycle - you never know! I've seen people ask on freecycle here.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ377150647

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

^ even though it is the us site, you can find something simular to it at payless. Payless usually has some good prices on work boots. It is worth a check out.

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

aww thanks for all the responses i didn't now about how heave they willl be... i guess i never thought of that .... there is a promo on MWH spend $50+ and get $10 ...plus there will be an event on may 10 save 20%off.... will go and see if it works with the coupon as well.... and yes after discussing with a few of my co-workers they will see if any of their husbands have extras.... maybe i end up getting them for free...NOW THAT WILL BE A DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!
    saveadollardiva likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

^ Free is always good

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I got mine at Walmart for under $50.00. You need to get comfy steel toe boots cause if not the toes will hurt and bruise and I know one guy who bought shoes at Marks and his feet swelled up. You can also try a Sally Ann store and Value Village does have them in some locations but you have to make sure the steel is secure.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

You have to find out whether he just needs "safety" shoes, or CSA approved, with the "ohm" sign... These will have a triangular "CSA" white tag, as well as a green rectangular "ohm" sign.. Some shoes will only be for safety, and these are not permitted on construction sites. The ones without these tags do not help with possible electrocution and whatnot (I have my traffic control course and needed to buy boots in order to get employment)...

That being said, I found mine at the Sears Outlet store. A nice pair of Dickies boots for $29.99!!!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My DH has gotten his at Zellers in the past. He hates spending too much on them, but he has to be comfortable. Good luck.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Mississauga's Dixie Value Mall has a Sears Outlet store. Just be aware that the footwear section can be really messy but the two upsides are 1) deals on footwear and 2) ability to try footwear for fit.

2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

http://healthandsafetystore.com/c-25...aspx?pagenum=3

Safety store on Burnhamthorpe W. Call to see if there might be a sale section because the safety footwear runs above $100. As other SCers have indicated, your spouse might have to invest in the right pair and consider how comfortable they will be for the hours worked.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information