User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: OMG!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!! I DID IT!!! I got my license!!!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I've booked the date for my road test for my drivers license (Monday, May 14th at 11:00 am). My stomachs just flipping right now, but I do feel confident on my driving and am practicing the parallel parking (practiced yesterday with my Dodge Journey with the cones, and in a real life setting and am happy to report I was able to parallel park at both).

I feel so jittery, (I've only been driving since I was 16, and always had my permits, but never really went for it in terms of going for my license). I think I will do well, but don't want to go into this thinking its gonna be a cakewalk.

Any suggestions/words of encouragement will be appreciated. I honestly feel like a bundle of nerves right now.

-------------------------------

Off to do a happy dance!!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by DiamondLil; Mon, May 14th, 2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: because I did it!!! I DID IT!!!! :)
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

good luck!

you will be awesome
    DiamondLil likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Thanks Anisa. I hope so, I am one week from the test, and my stomachs just flipping....
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Good luck! I hope you get it! Just remain calm you will be fine
    DiamondLil likes this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Good luck! I got my "M" licence (full motorcycle) last summer, so I've got soem recent experience. I would suggest that you start a friendly conversation with the examiner before you get going on the test - it'll put you at ease seeing that they're just a regular person. Make sure that if you do do something you aren't happy with - for example, if you aren't happy with your parallel parking, that you immediately tell the examiner that you're not happy with how you've done (e.g., say that you know you're too far away from the curb) and you'd like to try again. They are normally open to this, and are happy to see you acknowledge it if you make a mistake. Also, make sure not to have too much liquid to drink before the test - coffee/juice/water/whatever just seems to arrive in your bladder at the most unfortunate time sometimes (speaking from personal experience doing a motorcycle exam while I had to pee - try balancing the bike then! LOL).....
    DiamondLil and hollyquaiscer like this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Thanks for the advice Diva and Glowworm... I really hope that I can post that I passed next monday.

I think I can, I think I can....
    AmberLab and glowworm2k like this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

You will do just fine. The only thing that will catch up up will be your nerves. You are a great driver, just relax, pretend the person next to you is your bff and have a good time. You are more that capable of getting it. I remember about 10 years when I was going for my motorcycle license, I was so nervous, I failed (and I had been riding a motorcycle for 3 years at that time). I went again 2 days later, and just relaxed, had a nice warm bath that morning and mentally relaxed my mind. I got 100%, did nothing wrong. I know have my basic drivers class 5, my motorcycle class 6, my professional (for busses) class 2, my 3 axel truck class 3 and my Q (which is the air endorsements for air brakes on a truck). The reason I got the other big truck licenses is my dh and I owned a western star truck on air to pull our 5th wheel trailer years ago, so I needed it if I wanted to drive.

We can do anything we put our mind to, and you WILL DO THIS! I'm so proud of you for doing this. My youngest is still on her restricted drivers. She never went and did the final test. She is nervous and says she will fail????? She's been driving for 8 years with it???? You go girl.....I'm so happy for you.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

THANKS HOLLY. That is good advice, to calm myself before I go, because if I go when I feel wound up and stressed out, I will not pass. I will definitely try your advice.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It sounds like you have had lots of practice and are prepared for your test. Try to be mentally prepared too...remain calm and remember to breathe!

If you know anyone in your area who had done the test recently, you should ask what route was taken and any particulars about it. My daughter lost some points on her first try and when she compared notes with others, she found out that a whole lot of people lost points at that one place in the city (the lanes changed weirdly with no signs). Sometimes you will be fortunate to get a friendly tester and that can make a world of difference. Best of luck to you, I'm sure you will do well!
    DiamondLil likes this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Thanks Marstec, and thanks for the advice. LOL - I tend to hold my breath when I am nervous, so the reminder to Breathe is a good one. Lordy its gonna be a long week, I just have to put it in my head that once it starts, its gonna be over in 10-20 minutes.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wishing you luck, Lil - I'm sure you will do great!

Square breathing is awesome for relaxing!

Sit with your feet flat on the floor with hands relaxed on your lap.
    Close your eyes. (If there are people around just relax your body and keep your eyes open.) Then do the following:

• While slowly counting to 3 take a slow deep breath in through your nose.
    • Hold it for 3 slow counts.
    • Let the breath out through your mouth for 3 slow counts.
    • Hold it for 3 slow counts.
    • Repeat 2-3 times.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Name:  1372827_300.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  7.0 KB

Name:  self-confidence_1.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  16.4 KB

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just remember that you CAN do it! I got my g2 by the time I was 17 and waited 5 years (exactly) until I finally got my g2 exit. I had failed twice before and was going to give up indefinetly. I began telling myself I will just take the bus, it'll be ok I can walk to where I want to go. People persuaded me to try it one last time. I had just enough time to book my test for two weeks after it expired (they let you book after it expires as long as you book it before it has expired).. and I ended up PASSING! Can you believe that? I am now a fully G licensed driver and feel so happy and proud.

You can do it and don't give up.
    AmberLab and DiamondLil like this.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

a few tips my son was told. he's going in a few weeks as well for his.
    making light conversation first is a good thing.. comment on the weather.. sometimes that just breaks the ice..
    make sure you put your seatbelt on right away. adjust your mirrors.. USE them ALOT.. like constantly check your mirrors.. never second guess a decision.. if your think you should look 2x in the mirror before changing lanes.. do it..
    KNOW the speed limits in your city without posting.. as long as you know your not speeding.. but going to slow is not good either..
    questions never hurt either.. better to ask now while they can be properly answered and addressed.
    be sure of yourself.. don't get cauky.(sp?).. just be sure. get tons of practise in parking lots if it helps.. im giong to be doing that with my son. esp when it comes to corners. he has a hard time not overturning corners.. so im going to take him to a parkling lot behind us and practise around the medians in it.
    btw. im sure you'll do awesome!
    DiamondLil likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Relax and have fun! I was really nervous on my first try and failed stupidly when I shouldn't have. I was turning left, waiting at the light for a safe time to turn, the car wasn't moving at all and the tester pulled my emergency brake because she didn't feel safe! Wtf? The car was so old that that brake doesn't even actually, you know, brake, lol. That's how I know she did it on purpose. I could have contested it, but I didn't want my car to get in trouble, lmao.

Anyway, I did it again and passed with flying colors. The tester didn't understand why I didn't pass the first time as I did everything right and extra XD A lot of my friends failed the first time so I didn't beat myself up over it. It's kind of a running theme in Quebec, apparently *shrugs*

I used my own car for the tests and they have a habit of telling you to pull the car around. My mom was sick at the time so I told her to wait inside and I would walk over with the tester to the car. When the tester arrived and asked why I didn't move the car, I told her/him it was because I didn't have a license yet. The woman wasn't amused but my second tester laughed XD He was so awesome.

Always check your blind spots. Make it painfully obvious that you're checking. When you're changing lanes and turning right (for pedestrians). Mirrors, too. And signal appropriately.

Do you & whoever you usually drive with have free time before your test? You can go to the testing area, park somewhere and wait for a car that's doing the test. You just follow them and you'll see the route (or one of the routes) they take. I took lessons and my instructor took me there to see the route beforehand and give pointers. They told me I could go back and follow someone else. I did. It helped quite a bit. Just keep your distance or stay in another lane so you don't freak out the person doing the test :D

You can also just go to the building and drive around it. Check out main and side streets, just to get a feel of limits and signage for that area.

Just breathe, take your time, read the signs and check all blindspots/mirrors. You will do great!!!
    Grey and DiamondLil like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information